We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Reusing limonene with FASI (or FASA) in further pulls Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 7/1/2019 3:51:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you do FASI on limonene, what happens if you reuse the limo in further pulls from the basic soup?

Limo mixes with IPA and IPA mixes with water, but limo doesn't mix with water. And I'm wondering, if you do the next pull with limo to which FASI has been added, will the IPA stay in the limo phase or migrate to the aqueous phase? And how does that affect the extraction?

Will it make the limo and water more miscible and lead to emulsions?

If there is a fumaric acid excess in the limo/IPA mix, and it reacts with the base in the aqueous phase, it will neutralize some of the base and bring the pH down, but a small excess should have a negligible effect, and if it's not negligible, one can always add more base. So I guess the fumaric acid is not a problem.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 7/1/2019 8:09:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dont reuse it as is, there is a simple trick you need to do before: Wash it repeatedly with water.

Washing with water will remove IPA and fumaric acid excess... But you need to do it several times because some percentage of the remaining IPA will stay mixed with limonene, therefore several washes will make that percentage eventually negligible.

Jagube
#3 Posted : 7/1/2019 11:30:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. That answers my question: IPA migrates to the aqueous phase. And since it does, we don't want it to enter the basic aqueous soup, because it dissolves freebase DMT and would keep some of it in the aqueous layer and lower the yield.