We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Harmaline ear drops? Options

Elrik
#1 Posted : 6/28/2019 6:26:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there any evidence at all for or against the idea of using a 1% solution of harmaline•HCl as a daily ear wash for ear infection?
I periodically get ear problems and would like to avoid repeated antibiotics use, and harmalas are known broad spectrum antibacterials.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

pastanostra
#2 Posted : 6/28/2019 6:46:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know evidence but i know some people used to to an oil extraction from seed (like olive oil or coconut oil) and use it as antibacterial.
I personnaly use it with coconut oil and rue seed for skin problem, small cut from razor and i'm confident with it.
How i do is, put seeds in a jar, cover with your oil, then let for 30 days full sun exposure (like spagiryc oil tincture). Be sure you jar can close hermetical, then shake once a day, then filter before using.

Elrik
#3 Posted : 6/29/2019 6:35:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've heard of people using rue that way, I never was sure how much would be from the oils or from the alkaloid salts. That's always topical, though.
Its probably a cultural bias but I get very nervous pouring anything in my eyes or ears Wink

Jees
#4 Posted : 6/29/2019 11:45:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I suppose older folk remedies are likely whole spectrum extracts from the seeds/plants. But testing with mainly one alkaloid in particular is also interesting for sure.

Elrik wrote:
...Its probably a cultural bias but I get very nervous pouring anything in my eyes or ears Wink

About concern what can go wrong with Syrian Rue, there's a document in attachment about it, the doses they speak of is actually ridiculous high to what we're used to and it's consumed, still non lethal in the end (with the exception of being an abortifacient due quinazolines).
In an ear it's more of a local effect. In eyes Shocked I would be more suspicious.

Elrik
#5 Posted : 6/29/2019 7:40:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Laughing Yes, I remember sheep testicle boy. That case report is so classic.

For the record, I am not planning to try it in my eyes, no matter how awesome that might be right before a black light rave Wink

corpus callosum
#6 Posted : 6/29/2019 9:13:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

If the infections affect the ear canal (otitis externa- like swimmers ear) as opposed to the middle ear (otitis media), and you wish to avoid antibiotics repeatedly perhaps consider a solution of 2% glacial acetic acid for when you have symptoms. In the UK a preparation called EarCalm contains acetic acid and is available over the counter; its a reasonable first-line treatment (provided you're not allergic to it!).
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.