We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What's wrong with this Plant :( [Mimosa] Options

Brennendes Wasser
#1 Posted : 6/24/2019 10:15:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Hello!

I saw this Mimosa and it does not look good ...

It does not even seem to have yellow leaves, but really WHITE ones (Picture).

But the leaves look *normal* except the white colour.

And you can see: The bottom leaves are still green.

So I googled a bit, and could it simply be sun-damage? And the sun only touched the higher leaves?

It seems the plant has sufficient light (obviously) and even gets a little bit fertilizer (sugar beet extract - sold as bio fertilizer).

Anyone with some good ideas? The plant seems to stay away from light now a bit, maybe it will help her. Shocked Crying or very sad
Brennendes Wasser attached the following image(s):
102909.png (1,408kb) downloaded 102 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Muskogee Herbman
#2 Posted : 6/25/2019 1:09:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd only worry if the leaves become necrotic, turning brown and dieing off. Otherwise My next guess would be nitrogen deficiency. Nitrogen always seems to turn yellow plants green for me. My mimosas are in full sun including seedlings
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

Ferrum
#3 Posted : 7/4/2019 3:15:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sensitive plant right , where is it located ....full sun , shade ?

Th Entity
#4 Posted : 7/4/2019 5:35:03 PM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

Could be inadequate lighting, pest or alkaline soil locking the iron out making it unavailable to the plant so it develops iron chlorosis which is characterized by the leaves of the plant turning yellow/white, but the veins of the leaves stay green. Usually leaf chlorosis starts at the tips of new growth in the plant and will eventually work its way to older leaves of the plant as the deficiency gets worse, followed by leaf loss and stunned growth.
I highly doubt that its nitrogen deficiency because it always starts at the bottom/older leaves of plants because they suck the nutrients from the older growth to support new growth. And the problem you are experiencing with your mimosa starts from the upper growth so i highly doubt its N deficiency. However it might be combination of factors that caused your Mimosa to be that way. Too high soil pH, too much clay/sand, too compacted wet soil, too much P, pest, too little exposure to direct sun etc. It doesn't look like pest or sun damage.

How to fix your problem: improve soil texture, drainage, if your soil lacks organic matter and it has too much clay or sand and its too compact or its just cheap poor soil you can add something to fix it like perlite, manure, compost, worm casting etc. on top and mix them carefully within the top few cm of the soil and if its too compact you can carefully loose it up a little. Dont over/under water, dont push hard the growth accelarator and give it time to establish itself, while small, plants tend to grow more underground rather than above. Check and fix soil pH, chances are the problem is the soi pH (too high) or its fertility (lacking/locked N,Fe) if you are giving wrong liquid fertilizers maybe the problem is there, give it more N instead of P or K (too much P can cause this). Consider Fe rich foliar feeding after the sunset so you dont burn it.
Increase the direct light exposure GRADUALLY so you dont kill it accidentally from shock.

For me to give better advice i would need more information.
Good Luck
Thumbs up

Ulim
#5 Posted : 7/5/2019 12:39:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like a massive nutrient deficency to me looking like iron or sulfur because it only affects the newest growth. Maybe a poisoning also. Multiple factors can be the cause like just straight up missing nutrients or bad soil ph. Have you planted this in straight coco coir or did you have any other mishaps like adding limestone or too much peat moss?
You need to feritilize it. I would recommend carefully removing some soil and replacing it with a well draining and airy potting mix with added nutrients. You dont need to remove any soil around the roots though. If you hurt the roots now you might kill it. You can also slowly add some fertiliser but dont burn the plant. Also ditch that fert stuff you have since that prolly caused the issue here.

Another thing is burning a plant with chemicals like solvents or other fumes.