We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Need help identifying a plant Options

twitchy
#1 Posted : 6/20/2019 6:14:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Howdy Nexians, I recently ordered some dried botanicals from a place that specializes in entheogens and medicinal plants. This fellow was included in the package as a 'free gift', but the seller specifically asked that customers not send inquiries about the freebies. Odd rule but I respect their wishes... unfortunately I have a plant that I know nothing about but considering the seller's interests I am hoping that I have received something interesting and need a hand identifying it. It roots eagerly, shoots out aerials that seem to be able to change from root to branch depending on it's proximity to the soil and the leaves are thick and contain a mucilage with no particular odor or color. I have no other information about it, and need to figure out what it is so I can take care of it or toss it in the compost lol.

Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

twitchy
#2 Posted : 6/20/2019 6:18:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My first thought was Vanilla planifolia, but the leaves of planifolia don't seem to have that line along the center.
Here's a planifolia...

The seller had a list of what he included as freebies for that particular month, and had Cappi cuttings amungst them but it doesn't resemble any Cappi that I'm familiar with and it was the only vine on the list for that month. It's really tempting to just email the seller and ask but he seemed pretty adamant about not inquiring so I'm going to try to ID it myself... but I'm stumped.

Here's one with my thumb for scale..

I've kept it in the shade with heavily filtered sunlight so far and it seems to have responded well to this, likes moisture and humidity, and roots very rapidly only taking a few days to grab dirt while the vertical growth is much slower in comparison which makes me think it is tropical-ish.

Also seems to be shooting up new growth from the roots a few inches away from the main stem.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Th Entity
#3 Posted : 6/20/2019 7:03:37 PM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

Just my guess
It might be Epidendrum, wikipedia suggest "Epidendrum is a large neotropical genus of the orchid family. With more than 1,500 species, some authors describe it as a mega-genus."
Good Luck, and don't throw the plant away, care for it or give it to a botanical garden in your area.

twitchy
#4 Posted : 6/20/2019 7:09:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On your suggestion I poked around on google, and the "Epidendrum Lovely Valley 'Usubeni' looks pretty darn close.

twitchy
#5 Posted : 6/20/2019 8:22:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's looking like it's one of the 'Reed Stem Epidendrums', thanks so much for the help. I've had terrible luck with orchids in the past but I'll try to keep these, they are pretty things.

Th Entity
#6 Posted : 6/20/2019 9:05:58 PM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

No problem, i hope i helped and good luck growing these beautiful plants. Thumbs up

twitchy
#7 Posted : 6/20/2019 9:27:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Th Entity wrote:
No problem, i hope i helped and good luck growing these beautiful plants. Thumbs up

Yes you were absolutely helpful, in fact you probably saved their life as I was just about to try to gradually harden them off to full sun lol