We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Are all alkaloids recovered when "switching" solvent? Options

vin9x
#1 Posted : 6/9/2019 12:54:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello dear nexus-chemists!

I have a filtered acetone kratom solution that I want to boil down to a tincture.
My plan is to simply add a few cl of water to the solution and then boil away the acetone but I am worried that some alkaloids might be lost in the process (because they are less soluble in water) and that there may be some acetone left in the solution.
I would like to avoid exposing the alkaloids to dry heat so they should remain in solution at all times.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ulim
#2 Posted : 6/10/2019 11:51:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are the alkaloids even able to be dissolved in water?

What you can do is use a waterbath to avoid overheating it but it would be best to simply distill off most of the acetone. And then just letting the small rest evaporate if you wanna be really safe and avoid dry heat alltogether.

Also you really should look up if you maybe need to look into using drinking ethanol for the tincture if the active compounds of kratom dont dissolve in water.

Given that you already talked about having some distilling apparatus you can either buy high proof alcohol or concentrate it yourself.

vin9x
#3 Posted : 6/10/2019 2:27:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes but not nearly as well as in organic solvents. My thinking was that it doesn't matter all that much because the hard work of extracting the alkaloids from the plant material has already been done. I specifically wanted to add the water first and then boil down the solution as a whole (gradually removing the acetone) to make it easier for the alkaloids to migrate to the water.
Adding ethanol would probably work but it would make the process more complicated and expensive. If possible, I would like to go the non-alcoholic route.

vin9x
#4 Posted : 6/18/2019 11:03:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member