We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What else could these crystals possibly be? Options

Iamfart
#1 Posted : 3/7/2019 6:28:03 AM

-I am fart

SO. I live in North Florida,and a few months ago a friend of mine brought me the bark of what he believed to be MH. The only problem with his theory is that, MH doesnt grow in my area to my knowledge. his identification was based off of the pink plumelike flowers the plant displayed, as well as the distinct pattern of leaves. I assumed he must have been mistaken, placed the bark on top of my fridge, and forgot about it. Well this week I got in a rare mood to do an extraction and decided to order some MHRB. After I finally gathered up all of my supplies, and equipment I realized I still have AT LEAST a week before it arrives. Out of pure curiosity and maybe a dash of impatience, I decided I would run a STB extraction on the bark he gave me using the Lazyman tek. Mostly just to prove to myself I was right and a little out of curiosity.Now let me just say, Ive extracted the spice many many many times from MHRB, and this mystery bark behaved identical to the way MHRB does during the extraction. I should note that I dont have any contrast for how MHRB reacts during an extraction. Oak bark could behave identical for all I know. while adding my base solution it turned black, and when I separated my naphtha after the pull process, it was a very familiar yellow color. I did two pulls over a 7 hour period, I evaporated the first pull and freeze precipitated the second. I ended up with some very familiar looking yellow crystals that smell like mothballs and some very familiar looking white crystals from the freezer. Im not in the habit of smoking extractions from random plants but this is curious at the very least. What else could these crystals possibly be?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

pastanostra
#2 Posted : 3/7/2019 9:57:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You can do a burn test (as your smell test seemed to be a know smell), but ...
Your best bet should be to send your sample for analysis, or grab a TLC kit for that purpose.
There are some services proposed around, just take some time too search in the forum and you may find your ideal Smile

endlessness
#3 Posted : 3/7/2019 10:16:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mimosa hostilis doesn't have pink flowers, it has white flowers.

Maybe you extracted albizia julibrissin ? Show pictures of this plant to your friend.

Who knows what the crystals are, there are many many substances in nature that crystallize and many that smell similar to DMT.

Definitely either get a TLC kit, or at the very least get some reagents like Ehrlich and Mecke reagents and use a small sample to see what color the extract turns with those reagents.

Don't smoke it without being sure of what you have!

Good luck!

Iamfart
#4 Posted : 3/7/2019 4:19:20 PM

-I am fart

I almost immediately identified it as albizia julibrissin when he described it. I dont plan on smoking it until i am able to make a positive ID on the substance. However, my mind keeps replaying something Dennis Mckenna once said in regards to the subject of spice containing plants, "It seems to be that [IT] is present in many more organisms than we ever presumed it to be". Is there anyway of narrowing down the possibilities? F;e is there a test akin to biting a pure gold coin to test purity? Thank you both for taking time out of your day to respond and help with my inquiry. cheers.

Iamfart
#5 Posted : 3/7/2019 4:31:29 PM

-I am fart

endlessness wrote:
Mimosa hostilis doesn't have pink flowers, it has white flowers.

Maybe you extracted albizia julibrissin ? Show pictures of this plant to your friend.

Who knows what the crystals are, there are many many substances in nature that crystallize and many that smell similar to DMT.

Definitely either get a TLC kit, or at the very least get some reagents like Ehrlich and Mecke reagents and use a small sample to see what color the extract turns with those reagents.

Don't smoke it without being sure of what you have!

Good luck!

I ordered a couple bottles of Ehlich last night lol. I'll let you know how it goes. I did my third and final pull from the bark the day before yesterday (3rd day after initial extraction) and this morning, collected my yield from a freeze precipitation. The total yield from 71 grams of mystery bark was .82 grams of mystery substance. If it is indeed the sacred substance, that would put the plants overall content at roughly 1-1.5%

KloudQ7
#6 Posted : 3/7/2019 6:09:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Get some pictures of the plant if you can.

Ulim
#7 Posted : 3/7/2019 7:22:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you wanna be really really sure what it is then you should hit up benzyme.

He has a mass spec and I also had a sample get run at his lab (something different) Very happy https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=profile&u=4356

Iamfart
#8 Posted : 3/7/2019 7:37:27 PM

-I am fart

KloudQ7 wrote:
Get some pictures of the plant if you can.

Sadly, I cannot. as I never saw the original plant to begin with, but his description seemed to match that of Albizia julibrissin (an invasive species from China found locally in North Florida). Pink plumes, distinct fern like leaf pattern, bumpy coarse roots and bark. However I am hesitant to jump to conclusions because after showing him pictures of Albizia J he insist that the plant he brought me the bark from was different. Smaller in stature, slight differences in plume style and color etc.

Iamfart
#9 Posted : 3/7/2019 7:59:09 PM

-I am fart

So uh.. i have a volunteer who says they will smoke it. What are my moral obligations in this matter? He's completely aware of the situation and i have advised against it. However, he is adamant to do so, and citing the story of how 5meo was discovered in sanoran desert toads as his reasoning lol.

sarek
#10 Posted : 3/7/2019 10:27:13 PM

The world is hollow and I have touched the sky

Quote:
So uh.. i have a volunteer who says they will smoke it. What are my moral obligations in this matter?

If it were me, and I couldn't identify the plant, then nobody ingests it, end of story. As far as moral obligations go, it would be immoral to encourage or allow such a thing, IMO.

If you identify the plant, and your research confirms an observed lack of any toxic compounds, I still wouldn't allow anyone to ingest it.

Taking entheogens isn't supposed to be some leap of faith, leave that for junkies. If you don't know exactly what you're taking then you have absolutely zero reasons to believe you won't be harmed. It's not a sensible thing to do.

Iamfart
#11 Posted : 3/7/2019 11:25:46 PM

-I am fart

sarek wrote:
Quote:
So uh.. i have a volunteer who says they will smoke it. What are my moral obligations in this matter?

If it were me, and I couldn't identify the plant, then nobody ingests it, end of story. As far as moral obligations go, it would be immoral to encourage or allow such a thing, IMO.

If you identify the plant, and your research confirms an observed lack of any toxic compounds, I still wouldn't allow anyone to ingest it.

Taking entheogens isn't supposed to be some leap of faith, leave that for junkies. If you don't know exactly what you're taking then you have absolutely zero reasons to believe you won't be harmed. It's not a sensible thing to do.

Yeah I couldnt bring myself to allow him. There are subtle yet huge differences in an astronaut and someone who has strapped themselves to a missile.

Tony6Strings
#12 Posted : 3/8/2019 1:08:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=sarek]
Quote:

Taking entheogens isn't supposed to be some leap of faith, leave that for junkies.

Junkies are human beings, no? Are the lives of people smoking spice worth more somehow than the lives of the addicts in the street? Where is the scale for such a measurement? Does not everybody deserve to be treated as a human being? Btw to the op my advice is nobody smokes it.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Iamfart
#13 Posted : 3/8/2019 4:09:38 AM

-I am fart

[quote=Tony6Strings][quote=sarek]
Quote:

Junkies are human beings, no? Are the lives of people smoking spice worth more somehow than the lives of the addicts in the street? Where is the scale for such a measurement? Does not everybody deserve to be treated as a human being? Btw to the op my advice is nobody smokes it.

That comment rubbed me the wrong way also. Im sending 15mg to Benzyme for lab analysis and I'll let everyone know what the results are. Cheers

Metta-Morpheus
#14 Posted : 6/2/2019 11:43:01 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

Just outta curiosity, did you find anything interesting yet? This story intrigued me as to the possibility of another source plant if your results come back clean. Curious!
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Gloriousdeadman
#15 Posted : 5/3/2020 3:53:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I believe that I've gotten my hands on the same plant that OP describes and would greatly appreciate having any conclusions reached shared with me. The root bark itself is not reddish in color like other samples I have seen, so this worries me.

null24
#16 Posted : 5/4/2020 1:26:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

What region are you in? Does MH grow there? Albizia is a much more widely distributed tree, they do well in Oregon and they grow in Georgia too. They do not contain DMT and would probably like to keep their bark. When I was growing up in GA, there were a lot of low-lying, brush-like Mimosa Pudica that have thorns and flowers similar to MH but are not, and which to my knowledge contains no active alks.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*