We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Quiz for the chemists! Options

Samvidbuho
#41 Posted : 4/7/2019 3:01:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Th Entity,
Check this article out if you are still looking for recrystallization solvents and properties of a variety of different options..

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Th Entity
#42 Posted : 5/20/2019 7:41:03 PM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

Hey chemists! Is it a bad idea to use DCM as a defatting solvent, due to its polarity, is it going to take some DMT acetate along the plant fats/oils with it during the procedure?
I read somewhere that DCM can dissolve salts to some extent.

Th Entity
#43 Posted : 5/30/2019 7:20:43 PM

Note: This is addition to the question above.

Since Dimethyltryptamine is an indole alkaloid (aromatic) does that mean that an aromatic non polar solvent like Dichloromethane/Toluene/Xylene can dissolve it to some extent even in its protonated form? For example during aqueous biphasic systems (the defatt)?
(I ask specifically for DCM, since its the most polar of the above mentioned solvents, i have ongoing project involving small scale experimentation with Acacias and Grasses and i dont want to skip the defatt, DCM will be used as extraction solvent, however im not convinced about its use during the defatt).

While aliphatic solvents like Heptane for example (as non polar as it gets) presumably could be more effective than aromatics when it comes to the defatting procedure because: they wont dissolve any amounts of salts; low polarity.

After all, likes dissolves likes. Right?

I'm not chemist nor do i qualify myself as one, help me!

Th Entity
#44 Posted : 5/31/2019 12:52:06 PM

Noone?
Pleaaasee! Sad Embarrased

downwardsfromzero
#45 Posted : 5/31/2019 6:04:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

DCM is not an aromatic solvent.

You can always try washing your DCM from the defat with some dilute hydrochloric acid to see whether it pulled any DMT. If you're worried about the solubility of DMT acetate in very slightly polar solvents you could use a stronger, inorganic acid for the acidification phase instead.

The true quantitative answer to your DCM/DMT acetate question can be worked out using the appropriate equations. I'm not really up for seeking them out on your behalf right now, unfortunately - then again, it would be a useful intellectual exercise Laughing

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Th Entity
#46 Posted : 5/31/2019 7:25:46 PM

Thank you for replying, a lot! Very happy
I will think about that, i have fair amount of Hydrochloric Acid.
Hmm.. so its correct that DCM can indeed dissolve these salts to some extent. OK

Quote:
DCM is not an aromatic solvent.

Please, excuse my ignorance. Embarrased

And please, don't bother doing any calculations for me whatsoever. It's not an issue after all. I just love to think and use my brain and although im not chemist i like to challenge myself, learning.
Rolling eyes Big grin

Thank you!

PREV123