We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cat's Claw as an atypical potentiator Options

RhythmSpring
#1 Posted : 5/31/2019 1:13:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would say that Cat's Claw is psychoactive, at least in my experience. It makes me feel more flowy, less second-guessy. Maybe it's because I need it, because my system is out of balance from years of Lyme disease. I feel a definite energy boost from Cat's Claw.

I recently found out that it is an MAOI-B inhibitor.

Might this have any potentiation effect on other psychedelics?

What about mescaline-containing cacti? Might it make it riskier for the heart? I'm asking because my heart tissue has seen way above normal inflammation/damage from the Lyme, and I'm a little worried about it. I get strange cardiac pains, often.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

dragonrider
#2 Posted : 5/31/2019 2:10:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe there are different strains of cat's claw, and some contrain a mild NMDA-antagonist as well, that is not present in other strains.

I have often used cat's claw myself as an admixture in ayahuasca brews. Never felt any side effects from it.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 5/31/2019 2:51:36 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

A bit off-topic, but...
RhythmSpring wrote:
[...]
What about mescaline-containing cacti? Might it make it riskier for the heart? I'm asking because my heart tissue has seen way above normal inflammation/damage from the Lyme, and I'm a little worried about it. I get strange cardiac pains, often.

While it is of course essential to consult a medical professional, and due caution should be exercised if you are using any other medications, combined tincture of hawthorn (Crataegus spp.) berries and flowers is a tried-and-tested, traditional herbal remedy of known efficacy for supporting the heart and circulation. Maybe it would be suitable for you - talk to a herbalist if you can. Hawthorn is a pretty safe remedy.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

kerelsk
#4 Posted : 6/1/2019 2:20:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I used a local unidentified Cretaegus spp. for lyme carditis with success.
Had a soothing effect, and does seem to build over time. Used a normal strength (1/3 whole dried berry to vodka, volume wise), homemade tincture 3x daily.

The heart pains were very intense for something like 6 months and I was really afraid. Went to the emergency room once without insurance, and they didn't find anything after a heart x-ray. While there my grandmother though it could be lyme and suggested testing for it, as I had it as a child. They did not get back to me, but I requested the info and had my cousin who's a lab technician interpret the results (an antibody test Igg? I think?) which looked positive, so confirming my suspicions.
So I tried many herbs and changed my diet to less sugar, and the pain went away for the most part. Still some weirdness occasionally, but these days it's more maintenance than a raw struggle for life.

I've had good success with baikal skullcap for the nervous system disorders as well. It has a definite grounding and anti-anxiety effect immediately, and is rumored to also help in other systemic ways. Felt good to me.

RhythmSpring
#5 Posted : 6/1/2019 2:48:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you! That's two votes for Hawthorn for Lyme heart troubles. I'll definitely look into it.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Mindlusion
#6 Posted : 6/1/2019 10:20:42 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Cat's Claw contains a variety of active components, so the region where it's grown can have a significant effect in it's activity.

Some of these components are indole alkaloids, of the Corynanthine type. These are known to have adrenergic and serotogenic activity. (Also similar to mitragynine and reserpine)
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."