We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
I have committed a terrible crime... Options

Psilosopher?
#1 Posted : 5/14/2019 4:40:07 AM

Don't Panic

I have bought a smartphone. *shudder*. I truly despise these things with a fury of a thousand suns. My old phone was not receiving or making calls at random, which sort of defeats the purpose of the phone.

So i have had to cave in, and become a smartphone pleb.

Nexians, what can i do on this thing to make it not track me? I don't want any garbage personalisation, i just want to call, text, and check emails. What steps can i make to make my data secure on these horrid devices that control all of humanity?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Banjahinaz
#2 Posted : 5/14/2019 5:06:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My android is flashed with paranoid OS. I purposely left out Gapps(the google app suite) and instead oppted for the F-droid package manager. I use the duckduckgo browser(Tor would be nice if you can stomach the speed) with a VPN. I keep my phone in a Faraday bag when not in use.

You can also use disk encryption but that be can abit finicky.

The added benifiet of not having the google app store is that I can't download dumb apps that waste time. I also have a 16 digit passcode to disincentivize the use of my phone.

These are just some basic things you can do. I'm sure there are some security experts on here that can give you some better pointers.

If your friends and families comply you can use pgp over text or other secure communication methods.
Banjahinaz attached the following image(s):
body.jpg (514kb) downloaded 618 time(s).
body.jpg (514kb) downloaded 612 time(s).

FranLover
#3 Posted : 5/14/2019 5:57:52 AM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

Psilosopher? wrote:

i just want to call, text, and check emails

And thats how it begins...
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.

Jees
#4 Posted : 5/14/2019 9:50:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

FranLover wrote:
And thats how it begins...

Then, will slowly turn into a cellphone yourself, it is inevitable. Twisted Evil

dragonrider
#5 Posted : 5/14/2019 10:58:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just don't take it with you. Only use it to call, text or check e-mails.

hug46
#6 Posted : 5/14/2019 11:19:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilosopher? wrote:

You didn't have to do that. You could have bought a phone just does phone calls, texts and , at a push, take poor quality photographs.

You are weak and have let the side down badly.....

Psilosopher?
#7 Posted : 5/14/2019 11:29:56 AM

Don't Panic

Banjahinaz wrote:
My android is flashed with paranoid OS. I purposely left out Gapps(the google app suite) and instead oppted for the F-droid package manager. I use the duckduckgo browser(Tor would be nice if you can stomach the speed) with a VPN. I keep my phone in a Faraday bag when not in use.

You can also use disk encryption but that be can abit finicky.

The added benifiet of not having the google app store is that I can't download dumb apps that waste time. I also have a 16 digit passcode to disincentivize the use of my phone.

These are just some basic things you can do. I'm sure there are some security experts on here that can give you some better pointers.

If your friends and families comply you can use pgp over text or other secure communication methods.

Thanks, some tips here that is useful.

dragonrider wrote:
Just don't take it with you. Only use it to call, text or check e-mails.

How is this useful at all? It defeats the purpose of a portable phone. I need it to be contactable by work.

hug46 wrote:
Psilosopher? wrote:

You didn't have to do that. You could have bought a phone just does phone calls, texts and , at a push, take poor quality photographs.

You are weak and have let the side down badly.....

I have bought a plethora of phones just like that. They all have become redundant at an extraordinary rate. Manufacturers don't see market potential in dumbphones, so they do not make them with modern specifications. The reception quality is lousy, the charger adapter is often archaic and difficult to find replacements or borrow a cable off someone. If there is a manufacturer who makes dumbphones for the current age, i'd be all over it.

I've been using a phone like that for at least 4 years. Not being able to call or receive calls at random was my issue. Had this not arisen, i'd still be using it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

hug46
#8 Posted : 5/14/2019 12:15:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilosopher? wrote:
I need it to be contactable by work............................................................................................The reception quality is lousy, the charger adapter is often archaic and difficult to find replacements or borrow a cable off someone.

These are poor excuses. Your luddite status has been forthwith revoked.

Jagube
#9 Posted : 5/14/2019 12:44:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Old Nokias are great, I still have one along with my Nexus 5 smartphone.
The Nokia keeps its charge for a week. I use it without a SIM card: as a calendar / organizer (it works offline!) and music player.

Smartphones are great too, the only thing I don't like about them is their size and how often they need to be charged.
I use my Nexus 5 now to make / receive calls (it's cheaper to use than the Nokia, because I was on an expensive tariff with the Nokia and they don't sell SIM cards for non-smart phones these days anymore so I can't get better rates), to text and - of course - for data. I don't like browsing the internet on the phone and usually wait until I get home and can do the same job on the computer, but sometimes it's good to be able to browse on-the-go, e.g. when I'm in a store considering buying a plant or some other product and need to research it. Another big use case is Google Maps; it's a great help when I need to find a particular place or research the area.

I don't usually use email on my phone, because the email app is heavily limited (e.g. I can't mark posts as unread). Most smartphone apps and websites are limited (and different) compared to the desktop version and that's a real bummer. Another example is mobile Chrome, which doesn't allow you to install add-ons.
So to save myself the nerves and swearing, I just avoid using them and wait until I get home so I can use the desktop version with all the original features.
eBay and Facebook are limited too, but at least you can open the full-functionality desktop version in a browser. There may be no official way, but there are hacks, like sending fake browser ID with the HTTP requests.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#10 Posted : 5/14/2019 1:33:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

It's just a phone. You'll be alright. Just don't text anyone about your master plans to take over the.....

What was i saying?
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

dreamer042
#11 Posted : 5/14/2019 2:59:26 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

First off, remember that even if you turn off all the tracking, you are still being tracked, read that fine print. Pleased

As stated above if you can flash to a better OS and remove Gapps and all the bloatware this is ideal. Some phones can and some cannot be flashed, you can find information for your specific phone over at the xda developers forums. Get at me in chat if you have any questions about it. Note that rooting/jailbreaking will void your warranty.

Keep your location services turned off when not in use. Go in and change the location setting to not be highly accurate (just use gps and not gps + devices around you). Disable microphone, camera, and all that when not in use. Disable/remove any and all bloatware that you can. Turn off notifications for everything besides maybe your email/messages/phone calls. Get an app for your VPN and make sure you route all your traffic through there. Get a good web browser and the appropriate extensions (I like firefox with https everywhere, ublock origin, and privacy badger at bare minimum). Use your secured browser instead of apps wherever you can, this will block ads and minimize tracking.

Smartphones are amazing tools if used wisely, they are also a huge dopamine trap and far surpass any drug known in addictive potential if you (ab)use them in that way.

Be sure and download a blue light blocker for the nighttime, I use twilight on android. Also, get a good meditation app, I like the insight timer.

Welcome to the 21st century, we've been waiting for you. Cool
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

GLTASN
#12 Posted : 5/14/2019 4:14:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn it now I feel bad because I'm reading this post on my cell phone.
"It may be that my role in the universe is, to question my role in the universe."

dragonrider
#13 Posted : 5/14/2019 6:34:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you need it for work, then switch it off and/or don't take it with you when you're not working.

some one
#14 Posted : 5/25/2019 3:31:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilosopher? wrote:
I have bought a smartphone. *shudder*. I truly despise these things with a fury of a thousand suns. My old phone was not receiving or making calls at random, which sort of defeats the purpose of the phone.

Nexians, what can i do on this thing to make it not track me? I don't want any garbage personalisation, i just want to call, text, and check emails. What steps can i make to make my data secure on these horrid devices that control all of humanity?

I have bought a plethora of phones [...] they all have become redundant at an extraordinary rate. Manufacturers don't see market potential in dumbphones, so they do not make them with modern specifications. The reception quality is lousy, the charger adapter is often archaic and difficult to find replacements or borrow a cable off someone. If there is a manufacturer who makes dumbphones for the current age, i'd be all over it.

I've been using a phone like that for at least 4 years. Not being able to call or receive calls at random was my issue. Had this not arisen, i'd still be using it.

Is the true reason you bought a smartphone that all non smartphones you chose failed on quality? I believe there must be plenty of phones made for the senior age market that are of good quality. Reading up on comparisons and reviews online should enable you to pick the right one.

Is the only reason you despise smartphones because you don't need all the functionalities and tons of apps? Meaning you are looking for a super basic yet good and modern phone. Check this:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/light-phone-2#/

Is the only reason you despise smartphones due to privacy concerns? Meaning if privacy was sorted, you wouldn't have anything against them? Check this:
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

My first smartphone was the first iPhone which started the whole revolution. Almost no one had a smartphone at the time. Except Blueberries, but those weren't real smartphones in my opinion (no true app store). In the beginning every time people saw my phone, most told me why they thought they didn't need one. "The battery runs out too fast, just check email on a laptop, etc." As the years progressed more and more people started owning smartphones. There were always people who didn't have one yet, stating their reasons not to, but eventually they got one and never went back. The group with their statements not to own one grew smaller and smaller. Congratulations, you were one of the last men standing. A true smartphone laggard.

I notice you forgot to mention one important reason which makes owning smartphones problematic: they are super addictive! Save your soul, sell your smartphone and get a dumb one now you still can.
some = one | here = some | there = one

dreamer042
#15 Posted : 5/25/2019 7:13:50 AM

Dreamoar

some one wrote:
Is the only reason you despise smartphones due to privacy concerns? Meaning if privacy was sorted, you wouldn't have anything against them? Check this:

^ This is wonderful. Thank you!
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

RhythmSpring
#16 Posted : 5/25/2019 2:53:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

some one wrote:

^ How do we know these people aren't lying?
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

dreamer042
#17 Posted : 5/25/2019 5:54:16 PM

Dreamoar

RhythmSpring wrote:

^ How do we know these people aren't lying?

This is what open source is all about. No secrets, no proprietary information, no hidden backdoors. Anyone can inspect (and also improve via git, etc) the coding and functionality.

But this is a newly funded independent startup project, and if we've learned anything at all, the silicon valley megaliths buy these privacy focused startups right up and quash them thoroughly, lest it interfere with their data harvesting.

Cactus Man
#18 Posted : 5/25/2019 10:25:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I am glad to know I have never done this even though it makes most people think im insane.

#neversmartphones
#neversmartanything

KuzeMaf
#19 Posted : 9/27/2019 3:13:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cactus Man wrote:
I am glad to know I have never done this even though it makes most people think im insane.

#neversmartphones
#neversmartanything

Agreed.

If you're uncomfortable or paranoid bc you think your smartphone is going to cause trouble, you have absolutely no business with one.

Plenty of legitimate businesses still use flip phones, nokias, etc.

I prefer a flip phone I can snap if need be.
All is the one....One is the all.

Math. Simple math looks infinite to me.

dreamer042
#20 Posted : 9/27/2019 3:31:07 PM

Dreamoar

Now you only have to worry about the RFID chip in your debit card, the facial recognition cameras on every stoplight, the gps and cellular signals your dumbphone puts off, and the hundreds of other subtle ways you are being tracked

and you don't even get google maps traffic updates as consolation. Razz

12NEXT