We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Did I just contaminate my spice? Options

tyker
#1 Posted : 4/21/2019 5:39:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So this is my second pull using the same solvent. When I was pulling, I had not noticed that I had gotten some of the mhrb in with it until I check on it around 45 minutes in. The naptha is yellow and cloudy. I had used a dropper initially but switched to a turkey baster and I had a harder time with the baster than the dropper. I had used Norman's tek for this extraction.
tyker attached the following image(s):
20190420_233543.jpg (3,167kb) downloaded 59 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Psilosopher?
#2 Posted : 4/21/2019 6:16:10 AM

Don't Panic

It's hard to tell from just a pic and limited methodology. If you're worried, you can always do a mini-A/B.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Brennendes Wasser
#3 Posted : 4/21/2019 10:20:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

So you got some of your MHRB into the Naphtha when doing the final extraction?

That means some root bark powder or material was then drifting inside the Naphtha phase?

Well ... doesnt it simply sink down again? And if you already separated both, then did it not THEN just sink down so you can separate it?

Otherwise - no I dont guess that there is any sort of *contamination*. If you then separated both in any way then you will be just left again with the Naphtha and solid MHRB. It would act like a stone in the Naphtha - just being there and not doing anything.

But how did you get the possibility for both to touch each other?

I thought Nomans TEK says to separate MHRB from the acidic soup after cooking it so you will be only left with the acidic soup, when you finally make contact with the Naphtha. But nevertheless, should not be a problem.

If you are concerned because of the yellow colour you can still dissolve it in a minimum amount of hot Naphtha and place it in the freezer again to get cleaner crystals.

In the freezer at - 20 °C Naphtha can still hold ~ 130 mg / 100 ml. So keep this in mind, if you only have 130 mg and use 100 ml for recrystallization nothing would precipitate, so in THIS case better use something like 10 ml.

just999
#4 Posted : 4/21/2019 12:59:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Even if you separate perfectly you allways pull an invisible little amount of the lye mix.
That's why I always do a sodium carbonate wash before pre evap or freeze precipitation.

It doesnt take much time and sodium carbonate is really cheap and easy to buy.

You can do a mini AB or just do a recristallisation including 3 sodium carb washes

Running Bear
#5 Posted : 4/22/2019 6:53:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I always leave some of the naphtha in my extraction vessel. You can easily clean it up so try not to stress out about it.