We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Ayahuasca brewing newbie Options

kaban uuc
#1 Posted : 4/19/2019 5:02:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hello community.

I'm very new at brewing Ayahuasca. I'm hoping you to please point and explain me a little bit more besides of what I've found at other threads. I've gotten 50grs of caapi and 50 grs of chali both powdered. What amounts do you advice me to prepare for a single dosis? I've read that 50 grs of caapi and 7 grs of chali. I understand how the THP works and that its for the caapi but I'm missing what to do after the extraction. It says: "The brew was reduced by steaming" does it mean boiling it? and until what point?. At this point I get a little bit lost because I've seen in other thread that the result of the brew is a small powder extraction but could not see how it was obtained. Also I'm not sure if I understand this "3 x 30minute boils for the chaliponga". And how could I mix both extractions to have a resulting drink?. I'm sorry for asking so much., if there is already a thread with the answers please let me know.

I'm sorry if there are typos.

Thanks a lot!! Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

TGO
#2 Posted : 4/19/2019 9:48:32 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Hi,

Alkaloid content of plants can vary significantly so it is generally recommended to start low and build up to larger doses. Search around the forum for dosage guides and you should be able to determine a good ballpark number to start with. 50g + 7g as you already mentioned is probably good, although I've heard of people needing more caapi (however, everyone is affected differently by these substances so you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you).

As for your brewing questions, have you looked through the FAQ? It covers the basics of brewing and also has links to other useful threads regarding Aya.

Good luck!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

kaban uuc
#3 Posted : 4/20/2019 3:00:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TGO wrote:
Hi,

Alkaloid content of plants can vary significantly so it is generally recommended to start low and build up to larger doses. Search around the forum for dosage guides and you should be able to determine a good ballpark number to start with. 50g + 7g as you already mentioned is probably good, although I've heard of people needing more caapi (however, everyone is affected differently by these substances so you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you).

As for your brewing questions, have you looked through the FAQ? It covers the basics of brewing and also has links to other useful threads regarding Aya.

Good luck!

Hello. Thanks a lot for answering.

I just found this in one of the links of the FAQ:

Quote:
Medication: Ayahuasca is an MAO Inhibitor. This means she will potentiate lots of other drugs. Combining MAOIs and SSRIs can result in seratonin syndrome, which is FATAL. I am in no way qualified to give medical advice, but if a person is taking anything, check with a doctor to see if it is compatible with RIMAs.

It turns out that I take fluoxetine to treat bipolirity, one pill per day, and its a SSRIs. I do have taken Ayahuasca but before the diagnosis, so there wasn't chance of mixing them. Now I don't know what to do.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#4 Posted : 4/20/2019 6:16:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Hey there,

Check with your doc. Don't risk things.

I'm not going to tell you which approach is best. It's not my call - so if aya seems beneficial - consider that. If the medication from the doc is preferred - continue that.

Psilocybin is an alternative. No RIMA needed. But, due to your med, the effects may be decreased.

Just proceed with caution.

Love
ACY
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

Running Bear
#5 Posted : 4/22/2019 7:24:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

kaban uuc wrote:
hello community.

I'm very new at brewing Ayahuasca. I'm hoping you to please point and explain me a little bit more besides of what I've found at other threads. I've gotten 50grs of caapi and 50 grs of chali both powdered. What amounts do you advice me to prepare for a single dosis? I've read that 50 grs of caapi and 7 grs of chali. I understand how the THP works and that its for the caapi but I'm missing what to do after the extraction. It says: "The brew was reduced by steaming" does it mean boiling it? and until what point?. At this point I get a little bit lost because I've seen in other thread that the result of the brew is a small powder extraction but could not see how it was obtained. Also I'm not sure if I understand this "3 x 30minute boils for the chaliponga". And how could I mix both extractions to have a resulting drink?. I'm sorry for asking so much., if there is already a thread with the answers please let me know.

I'm sorry if there are typos.

Thanks a lot!! Smile

People like to make it sound more complicated than it actually is. I put mine in a crockpot on high for 12 hours and keep my eye on the water level. Sometimes I'll do 2 -12 hours pulls then I'll reduce it to the level I want on the stove. It works extremely well! I know the shaman at ayaquest and he also uses a crockpot to brew his ayahuasca. Make sure you start out with low dose and slowly work your way up through out the night! These plants are unpredictable with there potency. For a example mimosa and acrb will sometimes have .5% dmt and other times over 2%.

kaban uuc
#6 Posted : 4/27/2019 9:09:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AcaciaConfusedYah wrote:
Hey there,

Check with your doc. Don't risk things.

I'm not going to tell you which approach is best. It's not my call - so if aya seems beneficial - consider that. If the medication from the doc is preferred - continue that.

Psilocybin is an alternative. No RIMA needed. But, due to your med, the effects may be decreased.

Just proceed with caution.

Love
ACY

Thanks a lot for the warning. I've decided not to take Aya. I haven't taken SSRIs meds for a week but I fear still having it inside of my system. I will follow your advice regarding psilocybin.

Running Bear wrote:

People like to make it sound more complicated than it actually is. I put mine in a crockpot on high for 12 hours and keep my eye on the water level. Sometimes I'll do 2 -12 hours pulls then I'll reduce it to the level I want on the stove. It works extremely well! I know the shaman at ayaquest and he also uses a crockpot to brew his ayahuasca. Make sure you start out with low dose and slowly work your way up through out the night! These plants are unpredictable with there potency. For a example mimosa and acrb will sometimes have .5% dmt and other times over 2%.

@Running Bear if I have understood well: do you mix both powders in the crockpot? and do you filter the final brew? have you tried with the herbal percolator (THP) before?

This Aya may be taken by my sister and a friend of hers. I was wondering if 50 grs of caapi is enough for two person? I'm guessing that of chapi there would be enough as there are 50 grs as well.

Thanks a lot for the help-.

Legarto Rey
#7 Posted : 4/28/2019 9:23:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Get your RIMA, light bringers will shine through! Powdered, mhrb, acrb, chaliponga, will deliver with a brew. Even, capped, ingested, after adequate RIMA...works!!

Peace

kaban uuc
#8 Posted : 5/1/2019 5:25:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

¿@Running Bear (or someone else please) could help me out?

Is it possible to ping an specific user into the topic? I'm sorry I'm very very new.

spyfish
#9 Posted : 5/2/2019 3:19:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good, you need to wait 3 months after stopping SSRI to be on the safe side,

kaban uuc wrote:
¿@Running Bear (or someone else please) could help me out?

Is it possible to ping an specific user into the topic? I'm sorry I'm very very new.

What do you need help with?

About Caapi, 50 is barely enough for 1 person. Are you really using powders?

Its much easier to cook analogs btw, mimosa and Rue for example. But keep the brews separately.

External Anarchy & Internal Monarchy

kaban uuc
#10 Posted : 5/2/2019 6:56:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

spyfish wrote:
Good, you need to wait 3 months after stopping SSRI to be on the safe side,

What do you need help with?

About Caapi, 50 is barely enough for 1 person. Are you really using powders?

Its much easier to cook analogs btw, mimosa and Rue for example. But keep the brews separately.

Thanks a lot for your answer Smile
I haven't taken SSRI in several weeks but your information is pricesless! Thanks.

Regarding to ping other users. In another forums there is a feature for calling the name of an user within a post (usually with @), so this user gets a notification to check out this post.

I need help with the ammounts and the brewing process. First, my apologize as I just checked and the ammount of Caapi avaliable is 100gms. So, is 100gms of Caapi and 50gms of Chali. They both are really really powdered (like flour). I have never brewed Aya before and I won't take it this time, but I will participate (I do have taken Aya before). This time is for my sister and her friend. So I wonder how much grams of each plants I should start with. I've been told before here that 50gms of Caapi and 7gms of Chapi per person, right? does these amounts are meant for flour kind of powders?

EDIT. The description attached to these powders says that the combo is made for 2-3 people. But this would mean to use all 50gms of Chapi which I understand now is too much (here for two people would be 14gms). I also wonder if 100 gms of this really powdered Caapi wouldn't be too much for just two people? Or maybe to brew those and to tell them not to drink it all in one shot.

Regarding the brewing process. I'm still confused of what method to use. But I just realized I haven't read well the FAQ, which was the first thing I was pointed to. I apologize again. I'm going to do that and come back here if there are still doubts. Thanks a lot Smile

spyfish
#11 Posted : 5/2/2019 8:00:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never used powdered materials, but the water requirements and dosage should be similar. If the materials are of good quality.

I also like to keep the Caapi brew and Chaliponga (or other light) separate to more easily gauge the dosage.

I assume you will be using some sort of tea bag method since you use powder? Or just filter trough a t-shirt?

Anyway;

If you have 100g caapi available, if its good quality then maybe you have for 2 people. And DO not split it over more cups. You would need at miminum that 50g to hope for full MAOI so the DMT is not broken down. The absolute minimum with caapi is typically 50 g. 100g in 1 cup is not unusual. I would typically dink upwards to 100g to ensure full MAOI.

On the other hand, it sounds like you have plenty of Chaliponga. 5-10 g per person is good. My last Chalipinga brew was very active at 6.25 g / cup.

Some some basic things first.
Its best to use distilled water, or demineralized water. Water saturates, and the more minerals it already have, the less alkaloids it will absorb. Which brings me to amount of water;

Caapi brew:
So with 100g Caapi, you need at the minimum 5 liters of water, but more is better. I recommend to do this over at least 3 washes. In the first wash ad a dash of white distilled vinegar (it will evaporate so no taste) to help the extraction.
Boil each wash for 3-4 hours. If 1 wash in a huge port, and boil for a full day if not more. And add water as it evaporated.

Edit: By a wash, i mean 1 boil, filter then add new water boil again etc. Since powder, it may be some losses between washes so maybe 1 large 12 hour boil is better (if you have a big enough pot) Powders are difficult to work with. I prefer shredded, easier to do multiple washer Or you can use the t-bad method to avoid powder loss.

It needs to fully boil, not just simmer. I learned this the hard way.

Now you cab start reducing this down to a manageable drinking amount, but be careful when it gets thicker to not burn it.

Caapi is difficult to brew as you need allot of water per gram. Allot of work for a little brew.

Rue is much easier, I can add that at the end.

Chaliponga:
Similar method to Caapi, but you need allot less water. Last time I cooked it, 250g needed a bit less than 10 liters. But that’s many many doses.

If you cook it together with the caapi, I would say max 15 gram if its to be split in 2. But I would brew it separately, then you can also dos more chaliponga after an hour it it seems mild. The caapi will still be active after an hour.

I find Chaliponga to be a little darker then other light mixes, but not in a bad way. Visions are more black/white as well for me.

Chaliponga also needs long boiling time, lets say you cook 4 doses, cook 30 grams. You can do 3 4 hour washes in each 1-2 liters. Then collect it all and reduce. Then split it in 4 portions.

Allot here depends on plant quality, there is allot of low quality plant material out there. If you caapi is not good, 100g split in 2 may be dud and do nothing.

The trick to brewing Ayahuasca effectively is enough and clean water. (if no distilled, at least use filtered.) and very long boiling times.

Some important points:
- Do not filter reduced brew, this will be over-saturated water, so you will filter out alkaloids. Filter the reduced brew before reducing. I use a old t-shirt.
- For the same reason, do not decant the sediment of the finished brew. Shake it before drinking. The goodies are in the sludge.
- Again, it needs to fully boil, not simmer. The recipes where they say to simmer, are always weak. And its based on a misconception that the DMT wil evaporate. It will not, we are not talking freebase DMT here.
- Careful with the DMT containing brew, I usually cool larger vbatches so I can test fiorst to find the right dose. DMT content do vary. For the Chali, start with max 6-7 g. You can always drink more, it tricky to drink less. You dont want a DMT overload, and its not very productive if your too far gone.

So Chali is not to bad too cook, but Caapi is a pain to cook as it needs so much water. Not to mention very expensive.

Alternative to Caapi, Syrian Rue
With rue, you only need a brew cooked from 3-4 g of crushed seeds, and you can cook in in around an hour. For example 3.5 gram crushed syrian rue, can be cooked with as little as 100ml water, and you boil it for 30 minutes then start reducing.

So for 10 doses rue, id boil 35 gram in 1.5 liter of water for 20 min, filter and reduce.

I hope this helps

kaban uuc
#12 Posted : 5/3/2019 5:27:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot for such complete answer.

I will follow your advice and keep them separated. I do not understand how it works at the moment of the drink. should I have two brews reduced to "manageable drinking amount" (like two small cups per brew?) at the end? and then, one would drink the caapi and then the chapi? or to mix them in a single cup?

I'm not familiarized with distilled or demineralized water. The water that we use comes from a natural source in the ground. I boil it or use Aqua Salveo to make it potable. Other times I drink it how it comes from the source. For this brew I guess I cannot use this water, isn't?. does this mean that I have to buy it from where?, could I use the potable one that comes in gallons for people?

I think a big tea bag would be nice. If I use a tea bag does this mean I do not have to filter?
I first thought about using an Herbal Percolator, but it seems its better to boil.

I can use two pots: one of 3 liters and another of 4 liters. How should I proceed?. If I understood well, for Caapi I need a minimum of 5 liters of water per wash (15 liters for 3 washes). should I split this into 2 pots of 2.5 Lts / 50g caapi?

About the vinager I'm sorry but what does "a dash" mean?. I've searched in google and it says 1/8 of teaspoon or 6-8 drops. Is that right?

There is also 6 gms of Syrian Rue (Penganum Harmala) seeds avaliable. I had readed that the experience with Syrian Rue seeds could be somehow more difficult in comparison to Caapi. I have never taken Syrian Rue seeds before. I was expecting to first try with the Caapi and later in time with the seeds. What would be your advice in this case?

Thanks a lot for all the help @spyfish

spyfish
#13 Posted : 5/3/2019 10:36:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I usually reduce it down a around a shotglas per dose, so i can get it down in 1 gulp. But there is ni rule, whatever you prefer? I typically drink the MAOI first, then 20 min after the DMT containing brew.

You can use 'normal water', but distilled is much better. Better extraction.

For caapi, min 5 liter in total, after all washes. Maybe do 2 5 hour washes in the 4l pot?

About rue, im not sure i would say its more difficult. Chaliponga is maybe, at least in my experience.

My first time drinking, it was rue and mimosa, and i had a fantastic experience. But Caapi does tend to be more gentle.

Babaganush
#14 Posted : 5/5/2019 5:10:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello Everyone, I am also a newbie who wishes to brew Ayahuasca for the first time.

I recently attended an Ayahuasca retreat and did not feel much effect from the brew
despite 3 ceremonies over the course of the weekend with increasing doses each time, The last of which was about 5 tablespoons.

I believe I have a high tolerance for psychedelics and entheogens as
I usually take 8 grams of shrooms to trip and I once took 20 grams.

So I have decided to try brewing my own Ayahuasca for a more potent effect.

I have 1 kilo of shredded Caapi vine and 1 kilo of Chaliponga leaves.

I went with Chaliponga because I had read they are much more potent than Chacruna, Which is what was used at the retreat.

Hi Spyfish nice to meet you! I read your recipe instructions and I would like to follow it but I have a few questions.

Being that I have shredded vine and mostly full leaves and also that I have a very high tolerance would I need to do anything differently for my brew than the recipe you provided?

I was also thinking about making a large batch because I was thinking of taking a trip every night with a microdose every morning for a few weeks to see what it can do, And possibly some shrooms in between.

What are your thoughts on this?

I found one very simple recipe that just says put 12 pieces of vine and 200 leaves in a pot and cook for 12 hours, But that seems far too simplistic, As it makes no mention of how much water to use or anything else.

I suffer from Anxiety OCD and PTSD as well as Aspergers Syndrome and I am desperate for reliefe as I have tried many medications and therapies as well as shrooms ketamine and TMS without success,
The next option looks like either ECT or Gamma Knife and I really want to avoid those if possible,
So I'm hoping a regular dosing of strong Ayahuasca will be a better alternative.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! And I look forward to hearing your thoughts

TheAwakening
#15 Posted : 5/5/2019 6:02:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Babaganush,
I have never had a brew with Chaliponga but I have read a lot of people say that some chali has a strong effect at 5 grams where as others take 10-15. So I would recommend working on where your chali sits before brewing up large quantities.

As for brewing tech, I usually aim for 80-100g of caapi and 25-30g of chacruna per dose. Fill it up with water so that the water comes up to the second knuckle on your middle finger. Brew for 3 hours, strain and save liquid. Repeat twice more with the same amount of water and then reduce to a small amount per dose, skyfish's recommendation of a shot glass is a good measure.

Where I use 25-30 grams of chacruna that is because I know how potent the chacruna I get generally is. Some chacruna is much more potent and so I always brew a test batch first, if I were brewing with Chali I would most do this even more so.

spyfish
#16 Posted : 5/6/2019 2:55:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Being that I have shredded vine and mostly full leaves and also that I have a very high tolerance would I need to do anything differently for my brew than the recipe you provided?

I was also thinking about making a large batch because I was thinking of taking a trip every night with a microdose every morning for a few weeks to see what it can do, And possibly some shrooms in between.

You can follow the same logic, just adjust the amount of water. When i cooked 500g I ended up with 30 liters of liquid to reduce. I think i did 4 washes each 4 hours full boil. For water saturation purpos, 500 gram Caapi needs minimum 20 liters. Then just do the calculation if changing the ratios. Same for the chaliponga, just change the amount of water depending on how much you cook.

As for dosage, I would aim for 100g Caapi. Caapi is not prone do toxic overdose like Syrian Rue is. 50g is typically min for full maoi effect, but 100 is better.

Even if you have high tolerance, start with 5-7 g chaliponga first. You never know, you can always drink more. But not less. Experiment cautiously to find the right dose. Chaliponga is usually a bit more consistent in potency than Chacruna, but can still vary. The colombian Chali can be stronger than for example Peruvian.

- Drink the caapi first, wait a few minutes and drink 5-7 g Chaliponga.
- 50 min or so later, drink more Chaliponga if its mild.

You have plenty of Chali, so plenty to trial the right dose.

NOTE!, if you feel nothing after 50 min, eat something! A mall piece of bread with butter or something with a little fat. Some people, me included have this problem. Need some fat to release bile to get the system going. I once was in a ceremony: Cup 1, no effect. 1 hour later cup 2, no effect. But after the 3rd cup (3-4 hours after the 1st), all 3 cups came on. With a vengeance. It was nice, but I was so far gone it had zero benefit, and I just barely remember it was nice somehow and unable to move in the slightest. Too much Aya is pointless.

Microdosing caapi has little point in my view, but you can do Caapi only. Wont get very visual, but does have psychoactive properties by themselves. Shrooms are better suited for micro i think.

EDIT:
Also do yourself the favor of researching the Low Tyramine diet. Low tyramine + Ayahuasca Follow this at least 48 hours in advance. Not doing so so wont kill you, but can prevent high BP and a nasty headache. Among many other things i learned this the hard way.

ShamensStamen
#17 Posted : 5/6/2019 6:29:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

[quote=spyfish]
Quote:
Caapi is not prone do toxic overdose like Syrian Rue is. 50g is typically min for full maoi effect, but 100 is better.

Rue isn't toxic, i really wish people would stop saying it is. I've worked extensively with Rue, even in heavy dosages, and daily/near daily for 4 years and even daily for 8 months straight, i assure you, it's not toxic. Now, if you took, idk, 50 to 100 grams of Rue seed, maybe some sort of toxicity would show up then, but there's absolutely no need to take 50 to 100 grams of Rue seed, doing so would be like taking the equivalent of like 500 grams to a kilo or more of Caapi vine, just unnecessary. Plus, you'd vomit it all back up before ever reaching toxicity. Rue is as safe physically as Caapi is.

TheAwakening
#18 Posted : 5/6/2019 7:41:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I haven't had nearly the experience with Rue as you ShamensStamen but my experience has definitely been similar, Rue isn't toxic. If you take a big dose you'll get dizzy and it can feel overwhelming but so can caapi all by herself if you have a big enough dose too! Its definitely a worthy ally.

TGO
#19 Posted : 5/6/2019 8:44:44 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Concerning rue, here is an informative post from Endlessness ( From: Syrian Rue Toxicity thread ). Rue is essentially harmless unless you are a pregnant woman:

endlessness wrote:
I think saying rue is toxic or contains toxic alkaloids is an exageration.

By weight, rue is definitely much stronger than caapi in terms of harmala quantity. Of course if people take more than their appropriate dose, things will get very uncomfortable (same with caapi or any other drug really), but that does not mean it is toxic. A large dose of most psychedelics can get very uncomfortable even if you`re still far off from the actual physically toxic dosages.

I think sometimes people mean vasicine/vasicinone/deoxyvasicine which are generally considered `unwanted` and are present in syrian rue. But I think those alkaloids are only a problem if you`re a pregnant woman because they are uterotonic and abortifacient. Otherwise they might even have medicinal properties (brochodilator, expectorant, etc). I think in terms of LD50 toxicity they are safer than harmalas even.

There is a published report about a guy consuming 150g of rue to ease his pain after eating 1kg sheep testicles (lol), and while there were negative acute effects (vomiting, convulsion), after some hours the person was fine.

I don`t recommend overdosing on these plants of course, I think the 3-5g rue is enough for 99.9% of the people for MAO inhibition, and even those that for some reason want to experience the power of harmalas on their own in larger amounts, it still won`t be too much more than that.

This thread might also be of interest:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=20306

New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

spyfish
#20 Posted : 5/6/2019 9:06:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, interesting. I've always understood one should never go above 5g, and by boiling only for a short time most of the unvanted chems are avoided. (15-20 mins) I've also heard people taking upwards of 10g getting violantly ill.

I thought some deaths had also been reported on really massive doses?

I've never taken more than 3.5 though. I do prefer rue myself due for practical reasons.

Clearly I need to look more into this.

Thanks

123NEXT