We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is this frost damage? Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 2/16/2018 9:59:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have 8 San Pedros in the ground; two of them were planted out recently (November?) and their root systems weren't that extensive at the time of planting.

The other day I noticed damage on one of the two recently planted ones.
The other 7 San Pedros are ok (including the other recently planted one), as are my single specimens of T. peruvianus and T. bridgesii.

We've had some frosts recently and I'm wondering if this could be frost damage? Why would it only have happened to one of the cacti and not the others?

It's basically shriveled at the top, and a couple of the topmost inches have turned light blue, in contrast to the bluish green further down.
This cactus has the weakest root system of all my cacti or isn't planted deep enough. It's kind of wobbly and moves when I push it with my finger.
Jagube attached the following image(s):
cactus-damage.jpg (769kb) downloaded 176 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

wearepeople
#2 Posted : 12/24/2018 4:31:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It looks a bit more like sunburn than frost damage. Though, it could be a combination.

+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 1/28/2019 10:15:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Here's some proper frost damage:
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
IMG_9932.JPG (4,150kb) downloaded 128 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Grey Fox
#4 Posted : 1/29/2019 1:24:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn. That sucks. It must have been a bad freeze to cause that kind of damage. Usually you just see damage to the tips. Hopefully its not all destroyed.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 1/29/2019 1:45:41 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

-6°C was too cold! I'm not too worried as I have other plants indoors; this trough was just too big. I'll just have to tidy up that mess... somehow Big grin
With some luck, there'll be new shoots come the summer.

(This was an experiment in cactus cold tolerance. A little wicked imp made me do it.)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Wolfnippletip
#6 Posted : 1/29/2019 1:46:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jagube I haven't seen that particular type damage before. Downwardsfromzero I hope you made lots of lemonade with those lemons. Razz

On a related note, here's a lesson I learned last Winter: Give them a little water every now and then. I had mine overwinter in a greenhouse tent and didn't give them water all Winter, and they were only in the tent from the middle of December to the end of February. This is what happened to some of my Lumberjacks:

Wolfnippletip attached the following image(s):
3-25-18-01.jpg (131kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Wakinyan
#7 Posted : 3/31/2019 8:46:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I let my cacti get frozen as well this year... as luck would have it I have a few survivors and even one about to bloom!
Wakinyan attached the following image(s):
flowertrich.png (622kb) downloaded 85 time(s).
When I graft you graft we graft

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 4/2/2019 9:46:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

In the interests of science, I allowed some frost-damaged stems from the above selection to stay in place in order to see how things would develop. Please look away now if you're easily disturbed!
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
IMG_0034.JPG (3,547kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
IMG_0036.JPG (4,078kb) downloaded 69 time(s).
IMG_0038.JPG (3,476kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
IMG_0037.JPG (3,657kb) downloaded 68 time(s).

pastanostra
#9 Posted : 4/2/2019 10:37:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

-18 forbidenn Crying or very sad Crying or very sad Crying or very sad Crying or very sad Crying or very sad Crying or very sad

DansMaTete
#10 Posted : 4/2/2019 10:41:32 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Nightmare.

I gonna have nightmare forever now, you're a monster !

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

0_o
#11 Posted : 4/3/2019 4:37:34 AM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

Close call with some seedlings.
They were brought inside before the temp became lower than 0C.
0_o attached the following image(s):
IMG_20190329_021206.jpg (665kb) downloaded 60 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 6/29/2021 11:10:15 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

downwardsfromzero wrote:
In the interests of science, I allowed some frost-damaged stems from the above selection to stay in place in order to see how things would develop. Please look away now if you're easily disturbed!

I'll update here to say that eight cuttings from the "big freeze and rot" have happily survived and have now become 21 growing stems. A little bit of love went a long way Very happy