We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
methanol mescaline extraction? Options

Virola78
#1 Posted : 12/3/2009 9:59:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Has any1 tried this?

Sure mescaline will dissolve in methanol. But so will allot of other stuff present in the cactus.
I would like to know if the cactusmaterial (dried san pedro outher green flesh, without skin) with the methanol will form a slimy goo.
If it does, can the methanol (with dissolved alkaloids) be separated from the cactusmaterial?

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Touche Guevara
#2 Posted : 12/3/2009 10:02:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've heard of isopropyl extractions before, but they never seemed to give great results. The two popular teks now are 69ron's non-toxic tek (for pure mescaline) and House/Jorkest's acidic water boil tek (for resin). Both have their own threads in the cactus section.

Virola78
#3 Posted : 12/3/2009 11:26:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Touche Guevara wrote:
I've heard of isopropyl extractions before, but they never seemed to give great results. The two popular teks now are 69ron's non-toxic tek (for pure mescaline) and House/Jorkest's acidic water boil tek (for resin). Both have their own threads in the cactus section.

Yea read those.
Was thinking methanol could be better solvent for extraction, to get some sort of resin.
No water, no boiling etc.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

soulfood
#4 Posted : 12/3/2009 11:34:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I think with alcohol you will yield a black tar like resin.

With the acidic water extraction you get the nice caramel stuff Smile

Virola78
#5 Posted : 12/4/2009 12:20:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

soulfood wrote:
I think with alcohol you will yield a black tar like resin.

With the acidic water extraction you get the nice caramel stuff Smile

I like black.
To me methanol (!!not ethanol) seems more effective in dissolving the cactus alkaloids (full spectrum), compared to lemon juice or vinegar.
Should be an easy and effective way to reduce the volume of a dosis (like other 'resin' methods). Also this way there is no heat needed.

So:
1) slice cactus --> green outher flesh only (remove outher plastic skin, spines, white flesh, core)
2) blender
3) freeze & thaw
4) add 99% methanol: 24h extraction at roomtemp, shake now and then.
5) (coffee)filter
6) evap methanol --> residue (black?)
7) dissolve residue in oj (freeze oj if you want to store it)

Black resin.
What do you think?

Virola78
#6 Posted : 12/4/2009 12:34:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Read elsewhere the same simple methanol extraction is done for mushrooms.
Not all people like to eat allot of mushrooms. Same for cactus.

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 12/4/2009 2:26:12 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Virola78 wrote:
Has any1 tried this?

Sure mescaline will dissolve in methanol. But so will allot of other stuff present in the cactus.
I would like to know if the cactusmaterial (dried san pedro outher green flesh, without skin) with the methanol will form a slimy goo.
If it does, can the methanol (with dissolved alkaloids) be separated from the cactusmaterial?

mixing the dry cactus powder with methanol/ethanol/isopropanol will not make a goo at all - in this respect, alcohols are quite convenient for extraction.

But prepare to deal with a horrible goo in the end that hardly dissolves in water and soluble things (like alkaloids) can be retrieved with difficultly. It's not impossible but a silly annoying task.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

69ron
#8 Posted : 12/4/2009 2:35:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM never had good results using IPA or methanol for cactus. He always got very poor yields this way. Mescaline is in the form of a salt in the cactus, and a lot of mescaline salts are insoluble in IPA (mescaline HCl for example is insoluble in IPA). Methanol is more polar, but water is better for extracting mescaline, unless it’s freebased first.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Virola78
#9 Posted : 12/4/2009 12:00:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thx for the info : )
Guess I wont be trying simple methanol extraction.
Too bad the alkaloids are in (methanol)insoluble saltforms.

But still, if water is a problem when doing an STB (the mescaline tends to remain in the water instead of migrating to the NP),
then why not basify the cactuspowder using CaOH, and extract with little methanol. Evap (so the alkaloids have no more polar solvent to hang on to), then add NP (limonene / xylene), then extract with vinegar etc.

In this way no water is needed. Would it work?

Question everything ; )

Bancopuma
#10 Posted : 12/4/2009 3:20:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On a slightly related tangent, I think methanol is the number one solvent for extracting alkaloids from Iboga, and I shall be experimenting with this in the future.

69ron
#11 Posted : 12/6/2009 12:45:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Virola78 wrote:
Thx for the info : )
Guess I wont be trying simple methanol extraction.
Too bad the alkaloids are in (methanol)insoluble saltforms.

But still, if water is a problem when doing an STB (the mescaline tends to remain in the water instead of migrating to the NP),
then why not basify the cactuspowder using CaOH, and extract with little methanol. Evap (so the alkaloids have no more polar solvent to hang on to), then add NP (limonene / xylene), then extract with vinegar etc.

In this way no water is needed. Would it work?

Question everything ; )

That will not work (unless wet fresh cacti is used). CaOH needs water to react. Without water, it will not freebase anything at all because CaOH is insoluble in methanol.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Virola78
#12 Posted : 12/8/2009 5:49:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:

That will not work (unless wet fresh cacti is used). CaOH needs water to react. Without water, it will not freebase anything at all because CaOH is insoluble in methanol.

So this could be a way to get rid of the solid cactus matrix when doing a STB?
(because im not looking forward to separating a cactusmaterial-water-CaOH-xylene mix)

1) slice cactus --> strips of wet green cactus flesh
2) hang strips in the freezer (using a wire or so)
3) put the frozen strips in a blender and add CaOH, blend, and put aside for an hour or so to let it react (freebase)
4) add 99% methanol
5) (coffee)filter
6) evap methanol at roomtemp --> slimy/watery residue?
7) use the slimy/watery residue for further extraction (NP, salting, washing etc.)

* no heating
** methanol penetrates (the freeze-ruptured) cells very well,
so to facilitate the reaction of the mescalinesalt, water and CaOH,
and to bring the freebased mescaline into the methanol/water solution..