We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The importance of negative press regarding psychedelics. Options

Psilosopher?
#1 Posted : 1/25/2019 6:13:44 AM

Don't Panic

So, last night, i was on chat and i decided to check my youtube subscriptions. In my recommended feed, i see this title: "Mike Tyson on Doing DMT | Joe Rogan"

The moment i saw that, i got worried. Even if they were putting DMT in a positive light. It made me think, is the mainstream exposure to psychedelia accelerating too fast?

I started to think that perhaps we need a little bit of negative press about psychedelia, so that it may act as a buffer. Otherwise, the hype-ist mentality of the modern world may devalue the importance of psychedelics. Where it becomes the soma of Brave New World, just another distraction. If psychedelics become as popular as a new iPhone on day one, that will spell endless problems for society, and humanity at large.

The velocity of exposure needs to be controlled. Too fast, and the masses will be armed with misinformation from "spokespeople" like Joe Rogan. Too slow, and there will be no palpable positive changes in society from psychedelic medicinal therapy.

I've always been skeptical of rapid change regarding legislature and attitudes towards illegal plant medicines. The whole legalising cannabis was purely for money, the gubbermint could not care less about the welfare of it's denizens.

What do you guys reckon? Should exposure be slowed down, and come from more reputable sources? Or just open the floodgates?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Th Entity
#2 Posted : 1/25/2019 8:55:00 AM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

I agree i think such a powerful tools must remain partially in the dark, as soon as they become too popular some people with little to no research will start consuming these tools and ofc there will be bad reactions and ego deaths and people who have no idea and understanding of why/how/where/when/etc to use these tools will be given a platform (media) to put a bad name on these tools. I like Joe Rogan but he really needs to stop talking so much about pyshcs in every podcast, its all cool to make people aware of them but if you are interested you will find and learn about them witout Joe Rogan and media i think, i myself learned not from Joe Rogan or media but from reading.

I remember when cannabis became leagal in some states and i would read about some regular people who never smoked that decied "Ehh i wont smoke i will just once try edible its probabbly not as strong as smoking" and losing their minds on it and freaking out, i personally know a guy who did this. Big grin Laughing

PsyDuckmonkey
#3 Posted : 1/25/2019 11:33:04 AM

witch

It's not in 'our' hands. People will talk about what they will. I'm not a fan of top-down control anyway, so this may be for the best.

That said, we need more objective press. Not negative, but credible, valid opinions to limit the hype...

Like that Vietnamese guy in the Welcome forums, who was pretty much dead offended and honestly surprised at Iboga not magically curing the heroin addiction of his wife, and to top it off, it even made her pretty much lose her mind for a week. Well newsflash, that's what Iboga does in flood doses. It was clearly obvious the guy was expecting some best case fairy tale scenario he read about in some irrationally optimistic articles, and was literally mad at reality and Iboga for not living up to his standards!

When a Westerner hears 'healing', we are inclined to think 'lots of rest, sugary tea and chicken soup'. When records of traditional use of psychedelics mention 'healing', it usually means 'a little initiation rite to die and be born again, and thus heal'. When one expects the former and gets the latter, things can go way f south.

So I always get antsy when the whole 'healing' stuff comes up. It gives the wrong image, and builds unreal and dangerous expectations. We need people standing up and telling the masses that yes, psychedelics are awesome, but things aren't as simple as the hype would make one believe.
Do you believe in the THIRD SUMMER OF LOVE?

DmnStr8
#4 Posted : 1/25/2019 1:57:33 PM

Come what may

I had no idea Mike Tyson was down with DMT! HA! That is awesome!

The world is going to hell in a handbasket right now. Insanity all around us and here is DMT slowly moving into the picture. If these celebrities wanna talk about it, let em. What reputable source would you prefer? I think it would be cool if someone like Neil Degrassa Tyson would try DMT and talk about it, however, I think that Neil would be just as confused by the experience as Mike.

All these people wandering around who haven't a clue that these experiences exist. It is plato's allegory of the cave. I feel like the more people who venture out of this 'hell in a handbasket cave' they have going on, the more people may wake up to play outside of the cave.

So open the floodgates... I wanna see what happens. The world is already screwed up. No one in power is coming up with solutions. I don't feel any solutions are going to be found by these ignorant power hungry elites that rule this planet. If you wake up the masses, the elitists power and manipulations will become plain as day. The world needs to wake up, right now! We are headed towards destruction!

It is time for this, otherwise it would not be on the table for discussion at all. I want to shout out from the rooftops, "TRY DMT!", I cannot fault someone else for wanting to do the same. Let it wash all over the world!
"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

Exitwound
#5 Posted : 1/25/2019 2:46:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DmnStr8 wrote:

It is time for this, otherwise it would not be on the table for discussion at all. I want to shout out from the rooftops, "TRY DMT!", I cannot fault someone else for wanting to do the same. Let it wash all over the world!

I second this notion Cool

Grey Fox
#6 Posted : 1/25/2019 3:25:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are still negative media reports about psychedelics. Here is a recent example:

http://thesmokinggun.com...ool-groping-spree-634789

Some high school kid freaked out and groped / assualted some adults at his high school. He blamed it on LSD that his dog gave to him. The reporter ran with the idea that LSD does this sort of thing.

I think the internet is our best hope moving forward to spread knowledge about what psychedelics are really like. The media will say some good things and some bad things, but generally they will not be very informed. The more that people who are informed speak the truth about what psychedelics are really like and how to safely use them the better. That is how real knowledge will spread.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Hotspur922
#7 Posted : 3/8/2019 9:02:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PsyDuckmonkey, I enjoyed reading your contribution, I agree with your ideas.

Dmnstr8, love where you're coming from! I'm on the same page!