We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A weird reaction involving Metamizole Sodium Options

Nydex
#1 Posted : 3/5/2019 9:12:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hiya,

Yesterday I accidentally broke a metamizole sodium ampoule and left it on a wooden shelf. The next morning I saw that the ampoule cap which I left on said wooden shelf had formed very peculiar, white, flaky but hard to the touch granules as seen on the attached pic.

There is some granular white residue on the bottom part of the ampoule where the liquid had evaporated, as well as wherever the liquid had fallen below (some glass dishes and plastic). None of them had that clearly defined granular pattern that was where the top part of the ampoule was touching the shelf though, and that made me wonder why that happened.

Was it some sort of reaction between the m.s. and the lacquer/paint on the shelf? Or maybe something else?

It'd be cool if some of the more chemically savvy folks out here explain to a chemistry noob like me why that cool reaction happens.

Thanks a lot! Peace & Love Love
Nydex attached the following image(s):
0-02-04-2cfb7854f983263392a0c47a02d33b81df705f21d3416925fec9ed0fdf78019e_2d73b01a.jpg (76kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Mindlusion
#2 Posted : 3/5/2019 9:56:20 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Beautiful, it appears to me that it simply crystallized as the water evaporated
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Nydex
#3 Posted : 3/5/2019 10:08:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mindlusion wrote:
Beautiful, it appears to me that it simply crystallized as the water evaporated

So it disobeyed gravity and crystallized upwards? Shocked
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

Ulim
#4 Posted : 3/5/2019 10:17:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Big grin ye it do be like that.
The solutions get soaked up in the crystals and then evaporates on top. This is just a normal thing. For me it even happened in a crazier way because i had a solution in a jar and it just somehow forced itself through the cap to make a big crystal.

The phenomenom is called salt creep. And especially people with salt water aquariums have this problem.

https://www.instructable...al-From-Calcium-Acetate/

One can also use this phenomenon to make fake minerals.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 3/5/2019 10:24:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Nydex wrote:
So it disobeyed gravity and crystallized upwards? Shocked

The crystals themselves draw the solution upwards through capillary action so the apparent defiance of gravity is powered by thermal energy from the atmosphere.

I've observed a similar effect when crystallising calcium acetate. It basically climbs out of the crystallisation dish and the crystals have to be pushed back down again with a spatula in order to avoid messy losses.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli