We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
-Misidentified- Dellosperma (succulent) extraction Options

The75thFlower
#1 Posted : 3/2/2019 3:00:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I’m equally fascinated and grateful of the existence of this community, I hope my first contribution to it is deemed of interest.
I want to specially thank Endlessness’s contributions, as I found the frequency and quality of the content a great baseline from which to get introduced to this community.

Here I attempted a dellosperma extraction, however I should start first disclaiming that my training is far from the area and the plant was only labeled as “succulent” (photo attached). And also that the motivation for such is my personal lack of success souring MHRB or ACRB, I had tangential confirmation of all easily available sources are bogus at best, and for personal reasons all sketchy sources are particularly dangerous.
There is reason to believe psychoactive tryptamines are ubiquitous in plants outside “Trout’s notes” so I wanted to share my exploration on this area.

A common problem reading this type of extractions seems to be related is the formation of problematic emulsions and product in form of a “goo”[1][2]. My first test explored the use of oils as a method to avoid emulsions and it yielded a crystalline product (data not shown) but deeper analysis showed that was heavily contaminated with sodium acetate, as is highly soluble in EtOH. This is a problem I seen sometimes ignored in relevant posts [3] [4]. As a result of the method I decided to use all of the following (except analysis) is food grade easily to perform anywhere.

All pH measurements are taken with full range pH paper (Sigma). So be mindful of the lack of precision.
Weight measurements were taken with a jewelers scale with .01g precision in “Dixie cups” as disposable weighting boats.
Volume was roughly estimated with common kitchen measuring devices.

1. 80g Dellosperma (fresh and wet plant material) + 40ml water.
2. Food processor, juices show pH 5.
3. Paste and juices are moved to a borosilicate double boiler setup.
4. 20g (104mmol) of anhydrous citric acid are added, now pH is measures between 1 and 2.
5. 80g of coconut oil (solid) are added, melts in the heat and the floating layer protects from atm and excessive water loses.
6. Double boiler water level is maintained and paste gently stirred periodically for the next 2h.
7. Next 44g (415mmol) of anhydrous sodium carbonate were added, very slowly, CO2 is produced during the addition making a foaming that can easily boil off. In the end the clear brown paste that has been developing turns into a dark green with a pH measured between 11 and 12.
I. Calcium hydroxide was avoided to avoid unnecessary precipitates.
8. After the reaction has and visible changes ended, contents where continued to be carefully stirred in the double boiler for the next 1h.
9. Meanwhile a 2% solution of citric acid was made by mixing 16g of citric acid with 800ml of hot tap water (104mM) -this will prevent the coconut oil from solidifying too quickly- yielding an again measured pH of 1-2.
10. Once the hour has passed the oil is decanted into a glass container with 200ml of the warm citric acid solution and stirred vigorously. The oil separates instantly, and is then decanted back to the double boiler whilst the citric acid solution collected into a large container.
II. Container selection is highly important to be effective in decantations.
11. The previous step is repeated twice more leaving the oil 30 min in the double boiler in between. The collected aqueous phase pH is measured at 1-2 still.
12. Unless you are pretty much super human in your decanting skills or you use a separation funnel, you will find the collection jar contains a noticeable amount of oil droplets in both the walls (at least on soda lime glass) and floating on top. Refrigeration at 4ºC will solidify the coconut oil so that in the following 2h can be easily filtered or strained away. I did both of those yielding an absolutely clear solution.
13. 600ml of the acidic solution it was then poured into a glass pan and 7.5g of calcium hydroxide (169mM after complete dissolution) was added, enough to neutralize the solution back to pH 6-7. Because of the low solubility of calcium hydroxide I decided to totally overkill it by adding additional 7.5g, to a total of 15g. That created massive precipitation brought the pH all the way up to 14 according to the pH paper. Note there is no purpose in adding the hydroxide in two steps, I just did it for the academic purpose of showing the neutralization of the citric acid.
III. The use of sodium carbonate was considered but I selected calcium hydroxide because of the lower solubility of it’s salts, given my previous problems with sodium acetate and that EtOH-Water mixtures will be used later. Shoud be brought to attention that although trisodium citrate is not soluble in pure EtOH, in my experience it enjoys a significant solubility in water mixtures.
14. The pan is now left to dry in the oven at minimum temperature with the door open overnight. (Temperature of the pan never surpassed 35-40ºC). A thick white paste is obtained.
15. 400ml of 95% Ethanol is added to the paste creating a milky suspension. This was next passed though 3 standard coffee filters supported by a metal mesh strainer, yielding a thick paste on the filters and a clear filtrate.
16. The same process was then repeated, first with 200ml of EtOH and then 100ml. All the filtrates where combined, re-filtered in a single coffee filter and poured into a glass pan with a fan gently blowing on top overnight resulting in a thin layer of crystalline material with a sweet smell with grass like notes.
17. Crystals where then re-purified by redissolving in EtOH, filtering -resulting in a perfectly clear but with a very noticeable green/yellow tint solution- and drying again. Learning from previous attempts done in the final container, EtOH drying of the substance yielded a product very well bonded to the glass, hence this time drying was done with the intention of scraping it with a blade in the end.
18. ~50mg of a brown wax is obtained which represent 0.06% yield of the net wet mass. It’s been second hand reported that 700g dry into 20g [5], and 350 into 10g[6], a consistent 35x reduction, by those numbers yield is around 2%.

TLC analysis was done in reference to caffeine, obtained from a 200mg commercial pill source, crushed in a mortar, extracted with 5ml of methylene chloride, filtered, vacuum dried, redissolved in 15ml 100% EtOH and filtered again. This yielded a clear solution that was diluted in more EtOH to a final concentration of 2.5mg/ml for the TLC spotting.

A sodium hypochlorite oxidative stain for tryptamines was performed by spraying a diluted 1:5 commercial concentrated bleach in 0.1M NaOH, and placing in a 100ºC plate for 3 minutes[7]. Previous reports in the nexus can be found.[8]

The selected TLC solvents are 100:2.5 MeOH:NH4OH for it’s ubiquity in nexus reports and 4 well reported in the literature for the separation of bands they offer. [9] This was also previously reported in the nexus.[10][11]

The results are not consistent for the MeOH/ NH4OH based solutions. I have to note that errors of using EtOH instead of MeOH could be possible and that my NH4OH is so old and rarely used the labeled concentration of 14.5M might be very off. I don’t usually doubt so much of my results but I feel is warranted given the appreciable difference to other caffeine reports.[12][13]
Bands on the other solvents seem to fit expected rf values, but caffeine reference is meaningless in that context.
Fluorescence bands are present under 365mn light before any staining. They seem to fit the Peganum harmala reports.[14]
Bands after staining are inconclusive due to the presence of the other bands but generally fluorescence seem to appear where is expected tryptamines to be.

Although MeOH/ NH4OH bands were inconclusive I deemed the results good enough to be tested.
The substance is clearly psychoactive with an initial onset comparable to THC, followed by soberness mixed with LSD-type visuals at 15-30min (patterns, flow and movement), and ending with euphoria at ~50min. This was consistent with the reports for dellosperma goo.[1][2]
Dreams after that were extremely vivid. Usually I do not recall my dreams.
I have to note my dreams are always invariably boring, everything that happens could happen in a normal day, and this was no exception I just happened to remember all of it and experienced a huge degree of control in it.
Day after was remarkably hard to wake up and my head hurt in a similar way to a “weed hangover” if someone has ever smoked that much weed in a single setting.

I’m unsure on the potential of this species as the efects clearly do not fit DMT, but I do feel the current sourcing situation is precarious at best and I’m afraid that changes in political environment can make it much worse. I can only hope this work is of help for further progress in untraceable plant sources even if this was a negative result.

References
1: https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=7418
2: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...osts&t=23453&p=2
3: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=30501
4: https://chemicalrecipes....mt-extraction-guide.html
5: https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=1533
6: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...posts&t=1533&p=2
7: https://www.sciencedirec...le/pii/S0021967307001136
8: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=27459
9: https://www.sciencedirec...cle/pii/0006295280901690
10: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=278207#post278207
11: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=278197#post278197
12: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=68844
13: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=72724
14: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...osts&t=66736&p=5
The75thFlower attached the following image(s):
IMG_20190301_200138.jpg (2,341kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
IMG_20190301_200153.jpg (2,141kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
MVIMG_20190226_210701.jpg (3,405kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
Dellos2-TLC.png (1,367kb) downloaded 122 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

0_o
#2 Posted : 3/2/2019 4:11:26 AM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

Crassula ovata aka Crassula argentea appears to be the depicted species.
Is this the specimen tested?
It's in the Crassulaceae family.
Delosperma is in the Aizoaceae aka the Mesembryanthemaceae.
A very very interesting post you have there.

The75thFlower
#3 Posted : 3/2/2019 4:29:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes that is the speciment I extracted from, that is the remainder after 2 attempts at it.

The name of the species is information of almost infinite value to me. Thanks!

Tony6Strings
#4 Posted : 3/2/2019 11:51:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's crazy.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Grey Fox
#5 Posted : 3/2/2019 1:34:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes as 0_o pointed out unfortunately that is a Jade plant not a Delosperma.

From reading your posts it sounds like you are very concerned about remaining hidden and untraceable. If you are looking for a delosperma or other closely related Ice Plant you may be able to find them at Home Depot / Lowes or a local garden center where you can buy them for cash.

From my experience Delospermas and other Ice Plants are not as commonly available as they were just a few years ago. I'm not sure why they have been falling out of favor, though that may just be a quirk of my immediate area.

But I have observed aptenia cordifolia still widely available and if you come across it I would encourage you to consider it for your experiments. It is supposed to have a chemical composition close to Kanna (sceletium tortousum); although it may not be the best source of DMT if that is all that you're looking for.

Best luck with finding plants for your research. Unfortunately many of these small creeping succulents can be difficult to identify. Please keep us informed of your progress.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Grey Fox
#6 Posted : 3/2/2019 4:18:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

And then I found this at the big orange hardware store. I guess there is still more delosperma around than I realized. Laughing

This is what it looks like OP.
Grey Fox attached the following image(s):
2019-03-02_09.13.18.jpg (2,384kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

0_o
#7 Posted : 3/2/2019 5:29:10 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

I think that the results beg for further tests of Crassula.
Note that jade plants are said to be poisonous to pets.
The symptoms do indicate possible psychoactivity.
It is worth following up with but cautiously so.

The75thFlower
#8 Posted : 3/2/2019 5:41:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I see the diferences now, I'll keep that as future reference.

I'm not advocating for dellosperma necesirely, from trout's notes does not seem like there was a clear rational for believing dellosperma genus contains special ammounts of DMT, only weak literature references;

"Delosperma spp.
Raffauf 1970 cited unpublished work done by Smith, Kline & French Laboratories.
Raffauf was also cited by both Rivier & Pilet 1971 and Deulofeu 1973.
Smith 1977b cited Rivier & Pilet 1971 and Deulofeu 1973."

Given how ubiqutous DMT seems to be there might very well be untaped potential. But is indeed true that I should operate more cautiosly and work in a better identification.

Is the biological role of DMT in plants well understood?
From what I coud extract out of my biochem. book and my personal observation of reports, I believe it might be related to neurotrasmiters for detecting bug damage. -DMT is usually found in parts suceptible to attack-
If I'm right about it there should be a wild number of potential candidates.

I clearly need a better form of staining, trouts notes poropose several options, any particular suggestion?

Grey Fox
#9 Posted : 3/2/2019 6:08:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From my understanding it is the Sceletiums and Aptenias and similar plants that are most commonly used by native peoples in southern Africa for their psychoactive effects. They generally ferment the plant material before using it. Not sure if that is to activate the psychoactive properties or to neutralize unwanted chemicals. Best luck.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

0_o
#10 Posted : 3/2/2019 6:51:42 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

The75thFlower wrote:

Is the biological role of DMT in plants well understood?
From what I coud extract out of my biochem. book and my personal observation of reports, I believe it might be related to neurotrasmiters for detecting bug damage. -DMT is usually found in parts suceptible to attack-
If I'm right about it there should be a wild number of potential candidates.

There is some evidence to suggest that it does factor into protection of plants from many insects however many people apply teleological interpretations of its intended function being a human hyperdimensional gateway...

The75thFlower
#11 Posted : 3/2/2019 7:08:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Grey Fox wrote:
From my understanding it is the Sceletiums and Aptenias and similar plants that are most commonly used by native peoples in southern Africa for their psychoactive effects. They generally ferment the plant material before using it. Not sure if that is to activate the psychoactive properties or to neutralize unwanted chemicals. Best luck.

I was refering more to this;
https://en.wikipedia.org...ctive_plants#Tryptamines

From an evolucionary prespective the only way that list makes sense if it the molecule has a very generic and ubiqutous role in nature.

0_o wrote:

There is some evidence to suggest that it does factor into protection of plants from many insects however many people apply teleological interpretations of its intended function being a human hyperdimensional gateway...

Esoteric interpretations are very interesting but generally have 0 predictive capability, I'm interested in 2 things at the moment;
A) Streamline my identification process right now is way too time consuming
B) Have a theoretical baseline on what plant might produce DMT and why so I'm not just shotguning at random.

The bug theory I heard before, but then It is very unclear why is rlated to neurochemistry in mammals given how easy it is to degrade back to tryptophan, it just seems to crappy as an insecticide, hence my signaling hypothesis. Conclusions are mostly the same regardless though.

Grey Fox
#12 Posted : 3/2/2019 9:29:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I doubt that the effects you experienced were caused by dmt in the crassula. Jade is literally one of the most commonly grown houseplants on the entire planet. Hard to believe that it would be high in dmt or other tryptamines.

I'm confused by your original post. You said that the effects were similar to TLC. Did you mean THC?

Crassula is one of many closely related genera of southern African succulents. The THC-like psychoactive properties of these plants has long been known. There are probably several different alkaloids in the plants causing the effects. Sceletium and Aptenia are known to be among the strongest of these plants. I doubt that what you felt was caused by dmt.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

The75thFlower
#13 Posted : 3/2/2019 10:36:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes sorry I meant THC, but that was only the first 5 min, after that there is a sobering up followed by visuals. Not nearly as enjoyable as acid, but is actually very similar.

I agree, don't think is DMT,I thought from my report it was clear the experience and farmacokinetics don't fit.
TLC data is confusing, I'm working on further analysis of the plates as the bleach stain is crap. I assumed a 2007 paper would descibe a better method than a 1967 one but that's clearly a mistake. I'm going old school next.

Any idea what alkaloids should I be looking for?

I do still think there is no good reason to assume common plants can't have reasonable ammounts of DMT, I don't think is been studied but maybe is just the common practice of not publishing negative results.

Even if that is the case and all common species have been tested, the fact that DMT is significantly present in mediterranean grass, roots of tropical acacias, succulents and many others heavily imply we are missing something.

Grey Fox
#14 Posted : 3/3/2019 12:50:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mesembrine and related alkaloids are thought to give kanna and aptenias their psychoactivity. But interestingly there are reports of delospermas and other related plants being used in the same way as kanna and also producing psychoactive effects even though mesembrine is low or undetectable in them. I think these plants are still not that well understood and deserve more exploration. Traditionally they are all used in the same way: fresh plant material is smashed up (mortar and pestle style), then the material is sealed up in a jar and allowed to ferment in full sunlight for a week, then the material is dried. Once finished it can be smoked or used as a quid.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM