We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Changa lives inside me now - is this normal? Options

VoidBeast
#1 Posted : 2/17/2019 11:52:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I’ve been smoking some changa I made for a few months now and I need to know if some strange effects I’ve been noticing are normal or not. Some relevant facts before I get into what ’s been going on: This changa is my first foray into DMT but I have a great deal of experience with other entheogens spanning almost 20 years at this point and usually feel pretty at home in the psychedelic realms. The changa is a 1:1 ratio of spice to herbs. For the harmalas, I soaked 10 g of caapi vine in IPA for a couple months to make a menstruum. I know this method yields an unpredictable amount of harmalas, but I think as you will see from what I describe there are definitely harmalas present in my changa. Herbs are blue lotus, french lavender buds, mountain sagebrush and a tiny amount of bobinsana. During my time of experimenting with changa, I have had an average of one changa session per week, but sometimes it has been twice a week and sometimes I have gone a couple weeks without smoking any. During each session, I have smoked approximately 40-60 mg of changa, which would equate to 20-30 mg of spice per session. When it comes to psychedelic tolerance, I tend to be on the more sensitive end, if that might have anything to do with what I’m about to describe...

The first couple times I smoked my changa, I smoked it a few hours before bed and still had an afterglow at that point, so when I realized I was continuing to have effects during the night, I didn’t think anything about it the first few times. I just figured the changa trip had lasted longer than I realize at first, or that by relaxing in bed any continuing psychedelic effects became more obvious. I would have closed eye visuals when going to bed, or when waking up in the middle of the night. Or, I would wake up in the middle of the night because in my dream state I would “see” or “hear” entities in my room and wake up. But like I said, considering my tendency to smoke at night at first, and knowing the effects of changa can be unpredictable, I just thought this was a bonus.

Well, it became obvious when I hadn’t smoked changa for a few days, that for whatever reason I was continuing to have effects in the middle of the night. During the day, everything would be pretty normal, but at night either when falling asleep or, if I woke up in the middle of the night (I have insomnia so this is common for me), suddenly I would be aware of being trippy. I started to hear the beginnings of the “carrier wave” when I would start to fall asleep, and have clearly DMT-inspired hypnagogic imagery. Now what’s weird about this is, when I am actively smoking the changa, the visuals are more Ayahuasca-like. When I’m approaching breakthrough, instead of the chrysanthemum, my vision breaks up into a million wiggle worms of serpentine energy. My visions tend to be beautiful multicolored animals and plants made of dots of jewel toned light. All that sounds more like Ayahuasca than freebase DMT, yet these night experiences sound more like what I would expect from freebase (based on other’s descriptions, I have not smoked freebase). I’ll see the chrysanthemum pattern in front of my eyes, or elvish and jester faces, hear disembodied voices floating above my bed talking about my partner and I in my sleep, etc. On a few different nights, several weeks apart, I have been awoken by the feeling of some kind of energy jolting me in the center of the chest, and each time found I was in the middle of some kind of mild DMTish experience.

Anyway, these effects would last for about a week after smoking changa. At this point, I was thinking this was just evidence of DMT being connected to dreams. I noticed I tend to have more vivid dreams after doing any psychedelic, so why not these kinds of effects on changa? But then, it got weirder.

My partner uses mushrooms and LSD as entheogens, but he won’t try changa or DMT because he’s afraid of it. He knows/supports me smoking changa, but I’ve always done it when he isn’t around, so if “second hand changa smoke” could even be a thing, it isn’t. Yet my partner spontaneously started to report having a lot of vivid dreams about strange things he wouldn’t normally dream about - including a dream in which he was talking to someone and HE told them “I smoke changa for meditation.” Although he respects entheogens and uses them, he’s not a nerd about them to do much research, and like I said he doesn’t consciously want anything to do with my changa. So what was strangest to me about this is… at that point, I’d never told him people use changa for meditation, or described my current changa experiences that way. Yet people use changa for meditation, and he has been dealing with a lot of stress lately, and suddenly… a dream where his dream self smokes changa for meditation. Just…. what? (Incidentally, I researched it but I don’t think he can smoke changa because he takes lisinopril for high blood pressure).

In addition to the night time stuff, another “extended effect” I have been experiencing is that, even though I don’t mix marijuana or alcohol with changa, I noticed that if I smoked MJ or drank anything for about a week after changa, there was a good chance whatever state of alteration I experienced would become a little trippy. I’ve had a few mushroom or LSD flashbacks when stoned before, but those only occur when the planets align, as if all the energy and my mental state has to put me in just the right mood. Not so with this. Basically, if I got moderately stoned or drunk, I would go into a pleasantly, mildly psychedelic mental space, and have mild perceptual effects that definitely seemed like changa/DMT not anything else. Like the night visions, this effect would taper off throughout the week. I wasn’t extremely concerned about this initially, since it seemed sensible that pot in particular could trigger a flashback. I was just surprised at how consistent this was, as long as I reached a certain level of high (or drunk, but pot is much more frequent for me).

As I continued to smoke changa off and on, both the night time effects and the likelyhood of mild “changa flashbacks” when otherwise altered seemed to build. They still diminished throughout the week, but it seemed that each time I did smoke it, these odd effects would come back a little stronger and then have to diminish from that point. Once, as I was going to sleep, this vivid, colorful Cheshire Cat-like being flashed before my closed eyes so intensely that my initial thought was “shit I’m about to breakthrough,” but it went away the second I startled. I wondered, was it the harmalas staying in my system longer than I expected? I read about people smoking changa with much greater frequency than I do, and it seemed like most concerns over RIMAs were minor. I decided to do a bit of informal experimentation.

After almost two weeks without changa, and with all these effects seeming to have dissipated, I did a single changa session during the afternoon instead of the evening. I smoked 40 mg only (presumably about 20 mg of DMT), spread over an hour and a half span of time, keeping it extremely light. During this trip, I WAS meditating with it, just taking a puff here and there to keep me in a certain mental zone. I had no real visuals, just the slightest shift to my perception and a sense of being disconnected from my body. Probably the lightest changa trip I’ve actually taken. I had an afterglow that lasted maybe an hour, tops. For several hours before bed, I was totally sober, no noticeable effects at all. A couple hours before bed, I smoke a bowl of MJ, curious if it would rewaken the effects. It didn’t. I just felt stoned, nothing happened at all. I had no trouble going to bed, no hypnagogic imagery as I went to sleep. I thought to myself, “Ahah! The changa trip was much too light to cause those after effects this time.”

Well, remember I said insomnia is normal for me. I woke up at 3 AM, and I did not feel trippy as I did waking up in the middle of the night after other changa sessions (I also wasn’t stoned anymore). I read for an hour, before it became clear I wasn’t going to get sleepy anytime soon. So, I took some hits off my MJ vape pen, because when I have a bought of insomnia pot helps, yet I didn’t want to mess with packing a bowl in the middle of the night. This does make me sleepy, so I lay down. IDK if it was because it was a vape pen and not the bowl of flower I smoked earlier, but I start to hear the carrier wave, see the chrysanthemum and then… basically a second changa trip occured, only much more intense than the actual changa session I had 12 hours before. It wasn’t a breakthrough, but I became fully aware of entities in my room and communicating with me in my mind and body. I had mild open-eye visuals, moderate visuals when closing my eyes, and just a lot of “weird stuff.” For example, I became aware that an entity was shining a deep, blood red light that looked like a laser (but a darker color than a usual red laser), into my left eye in a similar way to if a doctor is looking in your eye. When this happened I startled and it stopped, but the thing that creeped me out about this was that for 10 days afterwards, my left eyelid twitched continually. I also became aware that my sweat somehow smelled like DMT - I’ll experience that kind of thing with mushrooms, but with this? The peak of this “bonus trip” lasted 2 hours. At the end, I felt a ball of warm energy move down the length of my body from my head down, and when it got to the bottom, I suddenly had to run to the bathroom to have a mild, caapi-like purge. After this, the bulk of the experience was over, but I remained trippy for another two hours in the sense that I felt like I was dreaming (I was fully aware I wasn’t, however), and patterns/colors were popping out at me. I remind you, this occurred 12+ hours after my lightest changa trip ever, after almost two weeks without changa, after all effects had stopped, after I had not successfully reinstated the effects with MJ flower, and it was/still is the most intense of the “night visions” I’ve had.

In the few months I’ve been experimenting with changa, I’ve also taken LSD twice. The first time was 140 mcg, 5 days after smoking changa, the second was 125 mcg, 10 days after smoking changa. At the time of the first LSD trip, I had at that point noticed that pot sometimes caused a changa flashback, so I wondered if that would happen on LSD. The first time, it didn’t, and in fact I felt like the LSD erased any trace of the changa effects in me. But the second time, on a lower dose of LSD, with twice as much span of time between changa and LSD (and in fact, my last changa trip at that point was also the ultra-light afternoon trip I described above), it got weird. I have taken a LOT of LSD in my lifetime, and I feel like I know its effects very well, that there is a certain predictable timeline my LSD trips tend to take, even when the content/nature of the trip varies. The first portion of the trip progressed pretty normally, and after four hours I felt that I had reached the plateau. Well, as I got up out of bed and started moving around, I realized that no, some kind of SECOND peak was being triggered, and it was of a very different nature than the first. I started feeling really disconnected from reality in a way I never have on LSD even at high doses. I put on Lord of the Rings, because that’s my go-to movie to try to stabilize myself. My god, Gandalf and the Hobbits were gonna become entities, I was just on the edge of starting to think they were real beings talking to me, almost becoming immersed in the movie as if it was an alternate reality I was observing, even though I’ve watched the movie countless times. Then the CEV visuals, which up until this point had been typical hippy rainbow LSD stuff, started to change and become more Ayahuasca-like. The colors became like black light, a gigantic serpent head appeared and there were vines and jungle animals everywhere, and then suddenly, THERE WERE WILD ANIMALS IN MY HEAD. I don’t mean the visuals of the wild animals, I mean there were wild animals in my head. That’s the only way I can describe what happened then. I think it’s safe to say this is not normal for LSD.

I admit, I got pretty scared at this point, wondering if I was just about to have the equivalent of a 12-hour changa trip precipitated by LSD. But thankfully, this moment of “wild animals in my head” only lasted for a few minutes, and the whole “secondary peak” was maybe an hour, but goddamn it was weird, and made me scared to try LSD again unless I’m sure the changa is out of me because, I think if I was in a changa trip for 12 hours I might never be able to return to normal life again.

Soooo… is any of this to be expected, or is this outside the bounds of normal changa unpredictability? Honestly, I find these effects intriguing, but obviously I don’t want to lose my mind or find myself on a seriously unexpected changa trip. Am I unusually sensitive to changa and perhaps I need to avoid it? Was there a crazy amount of harmalas in my caapi menstruum rather than the “not enough” I feared, causing changa effects to stay in my system much longer than expected and continue to build even after longer spans of not smoking? Has changa altered the reality of my household without everyone even taking it? Or did I already lose my mind? Please advise.
Vi veri universum vivus vici

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

AcaciaConfusedYah
#2 Posted : 2/18/2019 12:28:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Do you want the short answer or the long answer?

In short - frequent use of psychedelics can cause a shift in the "brain chemistry" and often instigate neurogenesis. From my observation, the slower growth is easier to integrate. Accelerated growth from excessive use can cause rapid changes(for me). It can seemingly overload the mind with an explosion of ideas, thoughts, questions, and considerations. If it is not regulated, it can be burdening. I smoke DMT once every few months, now-a-days... far less than the honeymoon phase (from Dec. 2013 until roughly June 2015.)

I find that I don't really need DMT to go to those places any longer. Just have to close my eyes and commit. Sure, it may not be nearly as intense as a DMT trip, but the messages are similar and I'll often have flashes from one of the past experiences. Now that the use is infrequent, I feel more balanced, overall; but, it took a while. I did have a very difficult year during 2016. It got better as time passed and I stepped away from psychedelics for a while. Smile Sometimes it's good to step away from the weird and do life for a bit. I still hang around here for the friendships I've made and all the people who have been a huge support. It is home.

Take Care,
ACY
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

FranLover
#3 Posted : 2/18/2019 2:43:40 AM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

Yes normal. I also experience DMT imagery in the hypnagogic state (really impresive stuff, very clear: chinese writing and morphing patterns, also feelings of flying and of reaching enlightment.)
Anytime, anywhere, just by closing my eyes.
I can fall asleep on command, but what I can not do on command is mantian 100%clarity and awarness to reach the hypnagogic state and enjoy it. Because if I am too aware language kicks in "this is so cool!" and ruins it...it is such a gentile, sutil thing...the spell breaks if you so much as breathe the wrong way.
Also in plain living day a DMT image may appear in the background of my mind (a glove with eyes.) Or these images may actually superposition themselves to reality (Staring at a sandal a black shining geometric shape appears on it for less than a second.)
Smoke a little cannabis and get tracers every time...close my eyes, go to sleep...magic can happen.
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.

sarek
#4 Posted : 2/18/2019 12:10:25 PM

The world is hollow and I have touched the sky

I would say that it is somewhat normal, or at least I have had relatively similar experiences.

Hopefully, one day we'll learn enough about whatever physiological mechanism is responsible for the DMT experience, and that might shine some light on this, but as for my current personal understanding/opinion of it, what you experience on DMT isn't actually the DMT itself, if that makes sense. The DMT seems to enable certain modes of thought and experience, that our brain is presumably already capable of engaging in. So what you're experiencing is your own brain/consciousness, engaged in routines that, while novel, are fully within the capabilities of its natural state, so it doesn't necessarily need high concentrations of DMT still circulating around the body in order to do it. Getting a boost from the DMT can help you "learn" how to have such experiences.

I find that after going long spans of time without using DMT, things settle down quite a bit. But then, if I start to work toward doing an extraction, things start to get weird again, well before the actual act of ingesting DMT.

It certainly contributes to the weirdness of it all, and adds some complications in attempting to have a materialist, reductionist understanding of it, but maybe that's for the best. If it starts to get too disconcerting, I would recommend taking a break. Balance is invariably critical to the Path.

VoidBeast
#5 Posted : 2/18/2019 10:43:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I want to make sure I don't give the wrong impression... Previous to getting involved in changa, I would say I would take entheogens about quarterly, sometimes less than that and once in a while more (but always at least one month between). I would take them when I was called to, but that was about the average. At that rate, I never noticed anything negative - any lasting effects were psychologically positive, or perceptual "improvements" that weren't hallucinations (like noticing fractals in nature everywhere, that are actually there but usually unnoticed). When I researched DMT, I was surprised that it seemed common for people to smoke it a lot more often than what I would consider typical for taking other psychedelics. For example, searching on these forums for the answer to how often people smoke, it seems like my frequency was pretty average. So, I guess what I'm saying is I had no intention to go overboard with it as that's never been my approach to entheogens. I guess everyone has to figure out the right amount for them... I admit I'm a bit disappointed since I really felt like I was only just starting to get to know changa, but I'm good with taking a break if that's for the best.
Vi veri universum vivus vici

FranLover
#6 Posted : 2/24/2019 12:51:23 AM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

VoidBeast wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I want to make sure I don't give the wrong impression... Previous to getting involved in changa, I would say I would take entheogens about quarterly, sometimes less than that and once in a while more (but always at least one month between). I would take them when I was called to, but that was about the average. At that rate, I never noticed anything negative - any lasting effects were psychologically positive, or perceptual "improvements" that weren't hallucinations (like noticing fractals in nature everywhere, that are actually there but usually unnoticed). When I researched DMT, I was surprised that it seemed common for people to smoke it a lot more often than what I would consider typical for taking other psychedelics. For example, searching on these forums for the answer to how often people smoke, it seems like my frequency was pretty average. So, I guess what I'm saying is I had no intention to go overboard with it as that's never been my approach to entheogens. I guess everyone has to figure out the right amount for them... I admit I'm a bit disappointed since I really felt like I was only just starting to get to know changa, but I'm good with taking a break if that's for the best.

Thats cool Voidbeast. Prudence is virtue! When I first began reasearching dmt I knew I would do it as often as my energy made it possible. Terrence Mckenna talked of how if he was doing it more than three times a year he was pushing it. I said what? Every night is good to meet the heavenly father and my beautiful momma earth. But tolerance levels with tryptamines is real...also its good to spread out the changa one has as in saving some for nexr week. Your thoughta will be different one week from now and a changa sessions then might be morw enligthing. Knowing when not to smoke seems to be really important to me. One has to know and be honest. For example, if one is to afraid and jittery one might be waisting the experience as too much fear accelerates dmt exiting the body ans makes the trip quite emtpy (for me.) So one has to meditate to know how one feels always before a travel.
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.