We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do any of you just do two acid cooks? Options

fathomlessness
#1 Posted : 2/16/2019 12:02:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've tested my third cooks a few times and while the yields aren't negligible, it does seem worth the extra effort. (Usually follows this kind of trend for me in order of 1/2/3 pulls: 100g = 500mg/300mg/100mg)

Have any of found otherwise? Especially with shredded bark rather than powdered.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Brennendes Wasser
#2 Posted : 2/16/2019 1:21:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Same for me.

So you say that it was 1. -> 500, 2. -> 300, 3. -> 100 ?

Well isnt 100 worth it?

I said *same for me* because I have 3. -> ~ 0 %.

I hardly can see anything at the ground of a glass of a third cook. Therefore it is totally not important to me.

But cooking for 2 h each of the first cooks is needed to get everything out.

Gonna check soon if 1 VERY long cook of 8 h also does the trick (like I think it is proposed in that Max ION TEK).

EDIT:

Maybe you can also get your last 100 mg out by this.

Try cooking at 80 °C (, pH ~ 3 of course), 2 h. Maybe then you get your last 100 mg in the first 2. How was your setup for this 500 / 300 / 100 ?

fathomlessness
#3 Posted : 2/16/2019 2:43:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:
Same for me.

So you say that it was 1. -> 500, 2. -> 300, 3. -> 100 ?

Well isnt 100 worth it?

I said *same for me* because I have 3. -> ~ 0 %.

I hardly can see anything at the ground of a glass of a third cook. Therefore it is totally not important to me.

But cooking for 2 h each of the first cooks is needed to get everything out.

Gonna check soon if 1 VERY long cook of 8 h also does the trick (like I think it is proposed in that Max ION TEK).

EDIT:

Maybe you can also get your last 100 mg out by this.

Try cooking at 80 °C (, pH ~ 3 of course), 2 h. Maybe then you get your last 100 mg in the first 2. How was your setup for this 500 / 300 / 100 ?

Interesting, I usually just cook on medium/high boil (rolling) for 1 hour for 1st cook and 1.5 hours for second. Maybe going up to 2h is the answer.

Tbh 100mg isn't worth the time and effort of straining, putting in new water, spending money on new vinegar, also more gas spent.

Are you on shredded bark or powdered? I am shredded here (not my body though) Laughing

AcaciaConfusedYah
#4 Posted : 2/16/2019 4:12:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Hey!

What quantity of solvent are you using per pull? Personally, I use a single pull with either naphtha or heptane. If I get a yield = or >1.4%, then I don't bother with a second pull. However, I am using powdered, and I don't do "cooks." If you'd like, I can include the link for the procedure that I use. It may not be practical to follow it EXACTLY. For instance: i use a hot plate and stir bar to do most of my work. It's dang-near set-it-and-forget-it. Actually, i encourage forgetting about it for a few days.... it allows the natural tannins to increase the acidity of the mix. No need to add vinegar or citric acid or any of that stuff. Truly, the only think you need is patience, understanding the pH manipulation, and recognize that surface area contact is the name of the game.

The more surface area exposure - then the is a greater likelyhood that the DMT transfers to the aqueous, and from the aqueous to the organic layer.

If you've got shredded bark, can you grind it down to at least a "powder/fiber" blend?

Here's that link, and it's not really different than other procedures other than a few tweaks that made it more efficient for my use (rare - I wrote the procedure, like 6-8 months before posting it here... and I still have a few hundred mg of DMT from that SINGLE pull.)

Low Lye approach to extacting DMT - analysis of N,N-Dimethyltryptamine in mimosa hostilis root bark : https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=83510
This is not any new discovery, but after playing around with different methods, I decided that I wanted to see if the "natural acidity" of the tannic acid was able to drop the pH to the desired range. Then, I was curious how much NaOH was "actually" needed to reach the desired pH via titration. I've been using large, single pulls for a few years, so that was not really anything new.

Take Care!
ACY
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

Brennendes Wasser
#5 Posted : 2/16/2019 9:44:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I have read briefly through your TEK but I still want to clarify this 1 question:

So with *1 single Pull* you mean 1 acidic cook instead of multiple?

And this 1 cook will give you up to 1,4 %?

As I maybe wrote that I also want to try 1 long instead of 2 short I wanna ask if you think that a lower time would also suffice?

In Max ION it is told to do 1 for 8 h and NOT stirr it. So do you use 12-24h because of the process to release that Tannins takes longer time and would instantly using HCl -> pH 3 make 8 hours be long enough or even less?

THXX ;D

AcaciaConfusedYah
#6 Posted : 2/17/2019 12:52:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:
I have read briefly through your TEK but I still want to clarify this 1 question:

So with *1 single Pull* you mean 1 acidic cook instead of multiple?

And this 1 cook will give you up to 1,4 %?

As I maybe wrote that I also want to try 1 long instead of 2 short I wanna ask if you think that a lower time would also suffice?

In Max ION it is told to do 1 for 8 h and NOT stirr it. So do you use 12-24h because of the process to release that Tannins takes longer time and would instantly using HCl -> pH 3 make 8 hours be long enough or even less?

THXX ;D

I don't even really do a "cook." It's more like: Add the powdered material into a beaker or jar; add water until the total volume (including bark displacement) is roughly 500 mL; and let it stir with occasional heat. I didn't mind the longer duration because I rarely use DMT (anymore; I had my time. Smile ). It was more of an experiment to see if the tannis could naturally acidify; and how much NaOH was actually needed to maintain a steady pH within the range I wanted.

The bark and the water are never separated from each other. The mix spins for "x" amount of time, with occasional heat (I never brought to a boil), and once the desired pH is achieved from the tannins, then it's ready to add the base.

So, for you, it wouldn't change much - if you have large pieces, then the method I proposed may not be worth your time. When I have used large pieces of bark, in the past, I did 3x 2 hr acid simmers and straining. Collecting all the separate portions and then reducing to a smaller volume of roughly 500 mL.

Unfortunately, Larger chunks can be more of a pain to get maximum yields.

When I mean a single pull, I am referring to the naphtha or heptane. Since the starting water never leaves the powdered bark, I guess you could call it a "cook," but the plant matter is never removed. It just sits there and the cells become lysed. Then add the amount of base that you need to get the bark/water/base mix to a pH of ~13. Then I use 250 - 300 mL of naphtha or heptane to do a single pull from the alkaline mix.

Take Care,
ACY

Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.

fathomlessness
#7 Posted : 2/17/2019 12:49:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AcaciaConfusedYah wrote:
Hey!

What quantity of solvent are you using per pull? Personally, I use a single pull with either naphtha or heptane. If I get a yield = or >1.4%, then I don't bother with a second pull. However, I am using powdered, and I don't do "cooks." If you'd like, I can include the link for the procedure that I use. It may not be practical to follow it EXACTLY. For instance: i use a hot plate and stir bar to do most of my work. It's dang-near set-it-and-forget-it. Actually, i encourage forgetting about it for a few days.... it allows the natural tannins to increase the acidity of the mix. No need to add vinegar or citric acid or any of that stuff. Truly, the only think you need is patience, understanding the pH manipulation, and recognize that surface area contact is the name of the game.

The more surface area exposure - then the is a greater likelyhood that the DMT transfers to the aqueous, and from the aqueous to the organic layer.

If you've got shredded bark, can you grind it down to at least a "powder/fiber" blend?

Here's that link, and it's not really different than other procedures other than a few tweaks that made it more efficient for my use (rare - I wrote the procedure, like 6-8 months before posting it here... and I still have a few hundred mg of DMT from that SINGLE pull.)

Low Lye approach to extacting DMT - analysis of N,N-Dimethyltryptamine in mimosa hostilis root bark : https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=83510
This is not any new discovery, but after playing around with different methods, I decided that I wanted to see if the "natural acidity" of the tannic acid was able to drop the pH to the desired range. Then, I was curious how much NaOH was "actually" needed to reach the desired pH via titration. I've been using large, single pulls for a few years, so that was not really anything new.

Take Care!
ACY

I generally use about 1/8th of the solution or under and my solvent isnt selective either.

I have tried skipping the acidification stage but the tannins never reduced the acidity, if anything id always have to add more acid in the first cook after heating. It also makes no sense for me to keep bark in the water (like in a stb) as i am using a larger amount of bark as my species does not have 1% but more like under .1% and it is also difficult to grind to a powder and the most i can get is shredded pieces and 1mm wide: something a bit finer than this