We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poppyseed causing morphine UA positives-it's not just a Seinfeld episode! Options

null24
#1 Posted : 2/14/2019 10:43:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Just want to put this out there, because I feel really stupid although I'm generally pretty well-informed on these things but if this happened to me, I imagine that it could to others.

I'm currently maintaining on a low-dose of methadone, the clinic I go to is pretty good and being in Oregon they will allow me to regularly earn take home doses even though I smoke pot- they recognize the harm-reduction potential in the practice which is pretty cool to me. That said, the bar to do so is a little higher, the qualifications and times between take home privileges are greater with THC positives. So it's taken me quite some time to earn what I have which isn't many since I've only not been homeless for less than a year.

So...last month I went to get my cinnamon raisin bagel and the store was out. Poppyseed is my next favorite and I've eaten one here and there with no ill results. I remember hesitating but then thinking to myself "naw, that's just a Seinfeld episode, people don't get dirties from eating a poppyseed bagel!" Yeah, well sure enough I went to check on the status of my next take-out earlier this week and the director looked at my record and saw with surprise that my last UA had come up positive for opiates even though I had not used any! Surprised No, really!

The good news is that she is advocating for me to: 1. not lose what I have and 2. continue my track for M-status because we have a good relationship, she knows that I'm exemplary in everything that the place is there for- I came in toothless, blind and homeless, now I have teeth, two eyes, a home and a good career- LOL, I'm not shooting dope. I'm hoping to still be on track, that would suck and really be unfair if not but whatever, that's the way things are at the4se places- I'm used to getting screwed, there's no benefit in getting upset and definitely no solution there.

Today I found out that it did indeed show as morphine which is consistent with seeds. Unfortunately the test is not quantitative other than showing that it is above a certain cut-off in ng's per ml. I don't know what that number is but I'm sure it's pretty low or folks would be getting pretty damn loaded off their bagels (wouldn't that be swell?)

Anyway that's neither here nor there, but really folks just be careful. I do think I ate two of these within a week of taking the test but still.

And I know some of you are still like " yeah sure buddy" Wut? BUT:

If you or any loved ones have any well-being wrapped up in the results of a UA- especially for the courts (holy sh#tCrying or very sad ) STAY AWAY FROM POPPYSEEDS

I swear to Santa don't respond with any "well, you know...s ", please? I want to slap the next person who 'informs' me where dope comes from.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

leratiomyces
#2 Posted : 2/14/2019 11:31:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey null,

Sorry to hear that's happened to you.

The following info will vary according to which lab runs the urine drug screen, what technique they use, their cut off limits for positives, and their reporting style.
I have seen codeine ingestion return with detection of morphine only. I have also seen Codeine ingestion return with detection of codeine only.
I have seen heroin intake result in detection of only morphine. And I have seen heroin intake result in detection of morphine and 6-acetylmorphine.

I'm not sure if you have already tried to explain the positive result to your doctor, by way of eating poppy seeds. But if you do, you might want to back up your story by assuring them that they will not detect 6-acetylmorphine in the sample. I'm not sure if they will take that into consideration. It's just a thought.

Tony6Strings
#3 Posted : 2/14/2019 11:55:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to hear about your false positive. I hope it works out. Yes it is a real thing and thank you for the heads up. My fiance and I each have a Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday carry out. My clinic does not test for cannabis, never has, even pre legalization. I thought that was very cool and progressive since I transferred from a Vancouver Wa area clinic which did test for THC. Their policy was strict and even medical cannabis patients had trouble getting carry outs due to positive THC results. You would think clinics in legal states would start changing some policy.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Th Entity
#4 Posted : 2/15/2019 6:49:52 AM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

0_o
#5 Posted : 2/15/2019 8:16:53 AM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

https://www.poppyseedtea.com

Poppy seeds can have quite a bit of morphine.
People overdose and die from them.
https://www.sciencedaily...2017/10/171010105645.htm

It's no joke.

Asher7
#6 Posted : 2/15/2019 8:34:49 AM

Professional Tracker

I’ve gotten quite high off poppy seed tea. It can be real hit and miss but if you find the right batch it doesn’t take much to get dangerously high.

A little while back my girlfriend ate a poppy muffin and peed hot at her doctor office. They required her to pee for methylphenidate at the time and she got a call backShocked

I made a few jokes until I realized it really bothered her. She figured the docs thought she was being bad.

null24
#7 Posted : 2/15/2019 5:19:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

leratiomyces- some excellent practical info, thank you.

I was told by the director that since it returned as morphine she could advocate for me as that does reflect the return fromseeds, but i will add the info you gave me and possibly demand that test if there's any sample left.

@the entity- for the sake of time, can you TL,DW the results of the myth busters episode?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

antares
#8 Posted : 2/16/2019 11:13:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Would they do an analysis on a sample of poppy seeds if you bought a bagel from the same shop and gave it to them for testing?

dragonrider
#9 Posted : 2/16/2019 4:41:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought it was common knowledge that poppy seeds contain opiates. People working in clinics should know about this. Showing positive on tests because of having eaten poppy seeds is something that happens all the time. They should have warned you about it.