We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Vacuum Evaporation Options

DubRules
#1 Posted : 12/5/2009 8:43:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have jars and jars of dmt laden naptha that i need to reduce the volume of.
My room mate prefers that I not do my activities as the naptha and lye fumes really bother him.
I was wondering if anyone had attempted to use any sort of vacuum cleaner to rapidly evaporate naptha fumes so I could accomplish it while he is out for a short period of time.
I'm not sure if the naptha would condense inside the vacuum or not.
I suppose if you used a shop vac it would be alright.

On a completely separate note.
Does anyone set up a distillation system to collect evaporating naptha rather than just letting it disappear into thin air?
I am forever buying 950ml cans of naptha from home depot and thought it might be neat to re use some naptha.

Thanks!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

MagikVenom
#2 Posted : 12/5/2009 9:33:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sure any vacuum source could be used. You can rig it any way you wish just put a "trap" in between the evaporating container and the vacume source. And make sure you dont suck the naptha if you apply to much vacuum to in a sudden burst. The trap should catch any liquid but is a secondary safety measure. The objective being not to cause liquid to be pulled thru at all. Gradually apply the vacuum to prevent this.

A trap could be as simple as a Jar with a sealed lid with two holes in the lid for tubing to connect a trap in and trap out.
I have used shop vac as vacuum source but there are a couple issues.

1 make sure you dont suck naptha into the hot motor and start a fire

2 you will neeed to have a vent to allow some air to enter after the trap. or you will pull to much vacuum and rapidly heat up and strain the motor. it is not designed to pull a airtight vacuum and will heat up and burn out. It is not completely a safe thing to do pulling volatile solvent fume near a electric motor pay attetion to motor if it gets hot shut it down and let it cool. Make sure you have aplenty of air coming thru vent or air valuve after trap as well so solvent fumes are not concentrated.

A real vacuum pump or aspirator would be much better and safer. I do not recommend using shop vac but it will work but there are risks involved using it.

You filter/remove the spice after freeze percipt and reuse the solvent a number of times.
yes you surely could distill dirty naptha from numerous freeze percipts and reuse it over and over.

Peace
MV

burnt
#3 Posted : 12/5/2009 12:24:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
and lye fumes really bother him.

lye doesn't fume just so you know.

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had attempted to use any sort of vacuum cleaner to rapidly evaporate naptha fumes so I could accomplish it while he is out for a short period of time.
I'm not sure if the naptha would condense inside the vacuum or not.
I suppose if you used a shop vac it would be alright.

This is a fire hazard for reasons vemon pointed out. There is still going to be fumes. They are just going to go through the vacuum and right back into the air. Its probably safer to just use fan that flows into a hose like the ones used in airconditioning systems to vent the fumes. Or outside if its warm?

Distilling is a good idea if you have proper distillation equipment and understand the concept. There are threads somewhere on this forum about it.

DubRules
#4 Posted : 12/5/2009 1:41:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

[quote=burnt]
Quote:
and lye fumes really bother him.

lye doesn't fume just so you know.

i dunno man..
when i add that lye to the water and stir, there are certainly some vapours that rise off the mixture.
regardless, it hurts my throat so something is going on..

thanks for the help guys..!
i totally agree that a shop vac would be pretty unsafe.

i do save the naptha from my freeze precips, but i wanted to save the naptha lost during the volume reduction stage, right before the freeze precip stage.
make sense..?

i suppose ill just evaporate in short bursts when my roomie is out of the house.
i already do it out back, but he still complains about the fumes..
whatever...

thanks again for the answers guys..

burnt
#5 Posted : 12/5/2009 2:44:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:

i dunno man..
when i add that lye to the water and stir, there are certainly some vapours that rise off the mixture.
regardless, it hurts my throat so something is going on..

Thats not good. When one adds lye to water the water temporarily gets warmer as it dissolves so it can heat up and release water vapor. But if one is using pure water (distilled) and lye then no fumes should be given off. Does SWIY live somewhere with highly chlorinated water or something? Does SWIY use distilled water? Is the lye SWIY is using pure?

Unless you are neutralizing an acid which is releasing a fume or sticking your face in the warm water and inhaling the water vapor then your throat should not be hurting..If your that close to the water too I hope you are wearing goggles because this stuff can easily burn you and cause permanent damage.

Quote:
i do save the naptha from my freeze precips, but i wanted to save the naptha lost during the volume reduction stage, right before the freeze precip stage.
make sense..?

distilling is best way to do this.

Quote:
i suppose ill just evaporate in short bursts when my roomie is out of the house.
i already do it out back, but he still complains about the fumes..
whatever...

You should be concerned about the fumes too. They are toxic and flammable. If you can smell them then you are not working in a well ventilated area. Also neighbors tend to think people are making meth when they smell organic solvents in the neighborhood. That usually attracts law enforcement. Be careful for your own sake and the sake of those you live with.

endlessness
#6 Posted : 12/5/2009 2:49:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

if you dont want to reduce naphtha before sticking in the freezer, there is one very simple solution: Make very small warm pulls, mix them well for long before pulling. This way they will be saturated enough to be freeze precipitated straight away without pre-evap, and you can just keep reusing and reusing

I recommend checking out limonene teks, though Pleased