We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Never ending emulsion problems... Options

Jees
#21 Posted : 2/9/2019 5:54:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilosopher? wrote:
... I use an ultrasonic water bath to resolve emulsions extremely effectively...
I thought ultrasonic is an emulsion creator of the worst kind, this is surprising. Maybe it comes down to ultrasonic power to sample weight levels?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Psilosopher?
#22 Posted : 2/10/2019 1:12:54 AM

Don't Panic

Jees wrote:
Psilosopher? wrote:
... I use an ultrasonic water bath to resolve emulsions extremely effectively...
I thought ultrasonic is an emulsion creator of the worst kind, this is surprising. Maybe it comes down to ultrasonic power to sample weight levels?

I use it in conjunction with a 1L measuring cylinder, which makes for easier pipetting. All the solvent dances around and floats to the top. It may create bubbles once it reaches the top, but that is easy to resolve.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

antichode
#23 Posted : 2/10/2019 8:30:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

More base, more water, more heat. That’s how you fix it.

Once I started going STB on freshly blended cactus. Using excess lye and heating it to 80deg there was no trouble

Elrik
#24 Posted : 2/11/2019 7:43:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One trick I forgot before is filtration.
Some of the most stubborn emulsions seem to be caused by insoluble waxes or fats so the emulsion can be concentrated to a thick, almost solid mass. This can be solved by placing it in an oversized paper filter, screwing up the top, and slowly massaging and gently squeezing the liquid through. Wear nitrile gloves.
I just had to do that again to eliminate the last 11 ml of emulsion from a small ACRB extraction I didn't bother to defat.
I've never tried to do that to more than 80 ml, but I suspect using very tight weave fabric in place of filters might help in relevant circumstances.

Cactus Man
#25 Posted : 10/18/2019 10:52:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hot salt water Thumbs up

PREV12