We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Jamaican mushrooms Options

Mecme
#1 Posted : 1/27/2019 7:58:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Not sure if anyone can help but I was in Jamaica this past week and copped some mushrooms from a guy on the beach in negril. I've done this many times in the past with no issues and wasn't really worried about it. This time however they looked a little different and instead of taking a better look I decided to just eat them. They didn't work and I assumed the guy just sold me some wild edible mushrooms and I had gotten ripped off no big deal.... After a day or two I got to talking with a fellow traveler who told me they got really sick a few years ago eating mushrooms he bought on the beach. Apparently guys will pic wild mushrooms having no idea what they are and sell them to tourists. This got me really nervous that I could have eaten something poisonous. I'm not having any issues at the moment but I know some mushrooms can take weeks to start causing problems. I guess my question is does anyone know if there are any poisonous mushrooms in Jamaica and what symptoms I should watch out for ?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Johnsonptd
#2 Posted : 1/27/2019 8:26:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As best you can remember, describe what they looked like, smelled like, tasted like. Get some milk thistle and take that to counteract any potential mycotoxins in your body. And always have some of it on hand for these kinds of risks.

Mecme
#3 Posted : 1/28/2019 2:35:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

They were dark, had gills under the cap, very thin stems, tasted like dirt, very dark under the cap and a lighter tan on top, it's been days and I haven't had any nausea or diarrhea, no abdominal pain, no keidney pain, just feeling really spacey and weird but that could get from all the traveling. I usually don't take risks like that it was stupid.

Johnsonptd
#4 Posted : 1/28/2019 4:38:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

At best you prolly ate some lawn mushrooms, which are very common and non fatal. In fact the number of mushroom species that can kill you is quite low, but still many are poisonous and unpleasant. Also could be bunk liberty caps that he wanted to get rid of. Either way I would still be chasing after some thistle asap because at worst you could have eaten a variety of webcap mushroom with a much longer latency for poisoning than other mushrooms. Meaning you might not feel anything for up to two weeks according to this article

https://www.med.navy.mil...xins/Mushroom-toxins.pdf

Milk thistle information
http://bayareamushrooms....oisonings/silymarin.html

Mecme
#5 Posted : 1/28/2019 12:10:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Are you recommending taking the available milk thistle capsules/tea or doing an extraction on milk thistle seeds ?

Johnsonptd
#6 Posted : 1/28/2019 1:47:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think just eating the seeds will work, no need to extract, unless you want to do it anyway. Crushing seeds and boiling in water is said to be effective at extracting the silymarin - which is mostly found in the seeds

Mecme
#7 Posted : 2/2/2019 5:02:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Got some milk thistle, doing fine so far but really glad I got on here and got some advice because it put my mind at ease. Thank you for responding I really appreciate it.