We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Converting DMT HCL back to Freebase Options

MrBlank
#1 Posted : 2/21/2010 9:36:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've got hold of a nice amount of synthetic DMT HCL, I would like to turn some of it back to base for smoking but I'm a bit unsure how to do so.

I tried with a gram... I made up around 100ml of basic water with around 5-10grams of NaOH, I placed this in a Sep funnel and added 1g of DMT HCL and shook to dissolve. I let that sit for a while and added around 25ml of Heptane, again shook violently and let sit to seperate. After a while I seperated the layers and put the Heptane in the freezer. 24 hours later very little, if any DMT has formed.

Could someone please help me out here. Thanks Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 2/21/2010 9:41:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

was the heptane warm? maybe more cycles of agitation and letting separate would work better.. Reuse that heptane and have it very warm, and then if nothing crashes out evap half and try again. To take all the dmt out of the basic solution it might take a few pulls

MrBlank
#3 Posted : 2/21/2010 9:57:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Heptane was room temprature. OK I'll give that ago, there's no such thing as too strong bassic solution is there? Would Xylene work better? I have that too.

fourthripley
#4 Posted : 2/21/2010 10:49:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Xylene would work better, yes; as your material is clean to start with picking up impurities isn't an issue. I'm curious though, I've always believed dmt doesn't form a stable solid hcl salt. How sure of your material are you?
mistakes were made

MrBlank
#5 Posted : 2/21/2010 11:14:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'll give Xylene a go aswell then. I thought salts we're genrally more stable.

fourthripley
#6 Posted : 2/22/2010 9:39:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Should have been more clear, by stable I meant a crystaline solid rather than a goo. Dmt hcl should be perfectly chemically stable.

From TIHKAL:
Quote:
As to salts, this last recipe above, taken from the literature, is the only claim of a valid hydrochloride salt of DMT. In the original synthesis, by Manske, the following description appears. "The hydrochloride could be obtained only as a pale yellow resin which, when dried in a vacuum desiccator over potassium hydroxide, became porous and brittle." I have found no attempts at its synthesis in the literature, and I have personally had no success at all. The picrate salt is well defined, used mostly for isolation and purification. The oxalate is used occasionally in animal studies. Early human studies involving the injection of solutions of the hydrochloride apparently made by dissolving DMT base in dilute aqueous HCl, and neutralizing this with base to achieve an end pH of appropriate 6. The fumarate is the salt specifically approved by the FDA for human studies, and this was the form used for human intravenous injection employed in the recent New Mexico studies.

mistakes were made

Mindlusion
#7 Posted : 1/28/2019 11:12:22 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

fourthripley wrote:
Should have been more clear, by stable I meant a crystaline solid rather than a goo. Dmt hcl should be perfectly chemically stable.

From TIHKAL:
Quote:
As to salts, this last recipe above, taken from the literature, is the only claim of a valid hydrochloride salt of DMT. In the original synthesis, by Manske, the following description appears. "The hydrochloride could be obtained only as a pale yellow resin which, when dried in a vacuum desiccator over potassium hydroxide, became porous and brittle." I have found no attempts at its synthesis in the literature, and I have personally had no success at all. The picrate salt is well defined, used mostly for isolation and purification. The oxalate is used occasionally in animal studies. Early human studies involving the injection of solutions of the hydrochloride apparently made by dissolving DMT base in dilute aqueous HCl, and neutralizing this with base to achieve an end pH of appropriate 6. The fumarate is the salt specifically approved by the FDA for human studies, and this was the form used for human intravenous injection employed in the recent New Mexico studies.

I've seen what manske is speaking of with the hydrochloride salt ( sometimes even the fumarate ) with other tryptamines, its a resiny goo that only becomes solid when pumped dry under high-vac. Not at all crystalline.
Because of that I highly doubt what the OP has is DMT HCl, perhaps 5-meo-DMT hcl or another tryptamine HCl.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."