We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pressure cooker and aya Options

Tak0010
#1 Posted : 1/25/2019 9:34:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone have any experience or thought on using a pressure cooker to prepare a vine brew??

I know I've read that too much heat will cause carmelization of some plant sugars. Would using a PC still allow this to happen??

I would also think that using a PC could reduce cook times, just like with food, but I'm not familiar with how the pressure would affect the alkaloid release.

Also, is there a temperature threshold for alkaloid release?? I haven't been able to find a specific temp.

etenities attempt to perceive time

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Nicita
#2 Posted : 1/25/2019 10:41:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know about the heat, but be very! careful with lose plant material in a pressure cooker. The fibers could clog the vents and then you get pressure build up and a possibly an exploding pot.

I've cooked rue in glasses in a PC before, but they tend to spill while cooking, so I didn't bother with it any more and used normal pots.

Tak0010
#3 Posted : 1/26/2019 12:11:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't think my pressure cooker vent could clog. I have an Instant Pot and all the plant material is submerged.

So I did my first cook of 1.5hrs under low pressure setting. I checked the temp as soon as I opened it and it was at 205. Assuming pressure won't affect the alkaloids, it should turn out good.

I did one regular heat cycle on ~110g for 3 hours and I'm going to do 1 more PC, then reduce.

I'm also going to save all plant material in case it turns out bunk.

etenities attempt to perceive time