We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa Plant dying (?!) Options

Brennendes Wasser
#1 Posted : 1/11/2019 3:31:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Hello!

Since some time my little Mimosa Plant is changing:

The top new leaves are slowly getting dried out and black and die. This occurs from the most outern leaf towards the stem and by this process there are already like 2-3 branches dead and more seem to be about to follow.

Here are some pics:

Any help PLZZ ?? : C

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Th Entity
#2 Posted : 1/11/2019 4:43:37 PM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

Share more information please!
Location of plant?
Soil
if/what fertilizers you use?
etc.

Doesnt look like insect damage, if it was nutrient problem it would start from the bottom up, its probabbly something wrong with sunligh or water. How old is the plant?
I doubt that it has something to do with soil pH or EC,PPM

How much direct sunlight is getting per day do you know? (how many hours) Is it too airy/windy where you placed it? Those factors could cause your plant to dry excessivly due to osmosis and underwatering, but the leaves would drip as hell before that happens, i doubt you wouldnt notice that.
Check under leaves for insects and eggs (i doubt it) Did you tied the plant hard on that wood (i doubt it) but this can cause fluid circulation to cut. Maybe not enough sunlight? (Is it indoors near window like that picture tells me?) If i had to make a total guess it would be little sunlight and little water in a small pot (could be wrong) I dont know how old is that plant and how much it was growing lately, but it looks thin and small, depending on the additional information you provide i would suggest you either place it in a more sunny place and give more water, or if it was getting too much sun (dried too much) shade it a little bit (so it doesnt waste energy for growth instead, let it recover). Maybe you could help it with some nitrogen and phosphorus (not too much).

Th Entity
#3 Posted : 1/11/2019 5:04:06 PM

With your finger poke the soil (not near plant stem) is it dry or moist? If its dry give it a bit of water. Maybe you can spray the foliage with some water (little, and not while direct sunlight is shining on it because that will burn the leaves). How big is the pot?

grollum
#4 Posted : 1/11/2019 6:43:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In my opinion it can also be root damage, mold or mites. Check the soil if there is something crawling around on it. Maybe small mites or similar. It sometimes can take some time to see them. Also smelling at the soil can bring some insight if something is rotting. Some Acacia/Mimosa types produce some stinky chemicals in the roots when they are under attack. This can also be an indicator that something is wrong.

Th Entity
#5 Posted : 1/11/2019 7:46:33 PM

Grollum absoloutly! While i was writing my replys, ideas of what could cause this were flooding my mind i got a headache.. It could be more than one thing. Over watering can cause roots to lack air and rot which can result in plant drying and dying. Overwatering can cause mold in roots too, Critters in soil can chew on roots so fluid path is cut. More information is needed to help.

P.S. - To me, since it looks like its starting from tips of top leaves, its most likely some problem with water/moisture lacking but why is that, i have no idea. Could be a lot of things

Brennendes Wasser
#6 Posted : 1/12/2019 2:42:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Some more Info:

Fertilizers: none so far

Age: somehow like 3 - 5 months? I dont really remember ...
size: 30 cm
size of pot: 11 cm diameter, 9 cm height. Gonna seek for a bigger pot soon anyways.

Sunlight per day: I dont know, but it is not that much. The location is near a window to south/east, but there is a transparent curtain between both, so the sun light is not that much and also during january there is also little to no excess sun anyways.

Insects: Well I placed tropical springtails into the soil. Years ago I thought they are harming plants, but they dont damage them, they eat mold and other stuff and recycle the soil this way. It is told on a lot of terraristic pages that those little guys are nice for the soil, so I put them in.

But also there are those insects flying around, maybe some larva could be in the soil:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciaridae
I dont know the english name, so there is just that latin one.

At first now I am going to water is a little more and I placed it to a place where it has more sun, because behind that curtain there is really not much sun light at all. Maybe also going to try watering it more.

Really hope that it wont die, I let soooo many seeds try to germinate and the scarce amount of plants that finally grew died in the first days except this one.

grollum
#7 Posted : 1/12/2019 4:23:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey there,

If you re in Germany I would say give this plant a grow lamp. Days are to short in winter so that this lil fella gets enough light be strong enough to handle disease. I think there might come many things together here.

If you have those little flies it is often an indication for bad soil and to much watering.
They put eggs in the soil and then little larvae develop in it.
You can use yellow stickers which are available in DM markets. And water less. When this is not working you can get some natural enemies of the flies. Nematodes...

I always thought springtails are not good. But I never got any infos about them. I only thought that any critter in this category might be bad for plants. Have to read about this topic further..

Th Entity
#8 Posted : 1/12/2019 5:41:37 PM

You dont use fertilizer? Apply some Nitrogen and Phosphorus
3-5 months since popping from soil? It looks weak and thin, again add Nitrogen (especially) and some Phosphorus
You must repot the plant in bigger container and when i say big i mean BIG (repoting is huge stress)
BUT dont repot at this point because you will stress the plant so much that you might stunt its growth permanently, its already stressed enough its fighting for its life.
Since you were already shading you plant (with the curtain) You either remove the curtain so it gets more light or you place it on a window with more DIRECT sunlight throughout the day and when it recovers place it in a spot were it hopefully gets all day direct sunlight. (Do it gradually)
The insects i guess are crawling on top of soil which if i have to guess is peatmoss based, this is very common when using peatmoss based soil ESPECIALLY indoors, a lot of houseplants have them. You can buy and place mulch.

I dont recommend a grow lamp. Why? Because if you are not carefull you with mess up the plant cycles (photoperiods) that happens very easily.

What i recommend you do is: If you use peatmoss based soil (with little to no nutrients) you can get some organic N-P-K fertilizer higher on the N. Buy a organic root stimulator and after 1 month if plant recover repot it in BIG pot. Dont under/over water just enough, i say leave it now to dry a bit (so oxygen goes to the roots) and then give it a small dose of n-p-k fertilizer with root stimulator (dont use root stimulator a lot since plant is in small pot just once a week). Place in sunny area. Thumbs up