We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Dropped my PH measuring paper in the solution... did I screw up? Options

remyman612
#1 Posted : 1/12/2019 5:00:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Howdy everyone,

I'm currently doing my first extraction (using Cyb's Hybrid Salt tek) and got the brilliant idea to measure the PH of the solution by dipping a PH paper in the solution (just added the NaHO, didn't add heptane yet)... long story short, I dropped the paper and can't find it back (yes, I'm an idiot, should've added a few drops of the solution into another container and should've measured that instead). Did I screw up my extraction? Will it be still safe to use?

Thanks in advance!

-remy

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ulim
#2 Posted : 1/12/2019 8:23:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That depends on the ph paper. Some of the ph reagents are even used as food coloring but there are many so I cant tell you. But it should be safe given the minute amount of ph reagent on these papers.
Also the proper labetiquette is to use a glass rod and dip it into the solution and then onto the filter paper.

remyman612
#3 Posted : 1/12/2019 8:26:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ulim wrote:
That depends on the ph paper. Some of the ph reagents are even used as food coloring but there are many so I cant tell you. But it should be safe given the minute amount of ph reagent on these papers.
Also the proper labetiquette is to use a glass rod and dip it into the solution and then onto the filter paper.

Gosh, I hadn't even considered dropping the solution on the filter paper... I'm such an airhead.

Well, I'll be going along with my extraction for now. Hope the final product will turn out okay.

Thanks for the reply!

edit: small additional question; Cyb's tek calls for putting 5 different storage containers in your freezer (one for each tek). I presume it won't be a problem to combine all the pulls into the same container and freeze that instead? I don't have access to an industrial meat fridge or anything so space is an issue.

jiva
#4 Posted : 1/12/2019 10:29:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

remyman612 wrote:
edit: small additional question; Cyb's tek calls for putting 5 different storage containers in your freezer (one for each tek). I presume it won't be a problem to combine all the pulls into the same container and freeze that instead? I don't have access to an industrial meat fridge or anything so space is an issue.

you could reduce the solution by evaporating some, but even without that it will work. also if you do not evaporate you can reuse the naphtha next time

remyman612
#5 Posted : 1/12/2019 10:33:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jiva wrote:
remyman612 wrote:

you could reduce the solution by evaporating some, but even without that it will work. also if you do not evaporate you can reuse the naphtha next time

Thanks for the answer! I just put the entire pull of heptane in my container and put it in the fridge (like the instruction in the guide state). Now I have removed it from the freezer to evap some (it's already filled with pretty crystals!) while I add my later pulls.

One more question to top it off; my turkey baster was looking a little smudged from the MHRB soup, I washed it with water to make it clear again. Is it a problem to have a few water drops in the heptane solution Im putting in the freezer?