We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lab hardware store Options

Exitwound
#1 Posted : 12/7/2018 10:53:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am looking to build little home extraction laboratory, with soxhlet and distillation apparatus. Recommendations of online stores are very welcome.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 12/8/2018 12:39:21 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Deschem.
they're on e.bay, along with many other competitive vendors. You'd be hard-pressed to find better prices.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

antares
#3 Posted : 12/8/2018 10:46:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Check out banggood also. Sometimes you can get real bargains there. Quality is reasonable for the amateur playing in his shed. Packaging is not brilliant and sometimes broken bits arrive. The Chinese vendors are good at offering replacements or refunds after a bit of to and fro emails and sending them pictures of the broken items and original packaging with their warehouse code (don't tear this up while opening the package). Paypal/ credit card protection is useful if you have a 'difficult' seller.

Some of the glassware that doesn't get exposed to direct heat is not stress relieved. I had a funnel crack after being exposed to extreme temperature swings in my shed. Souldn'yreally be a problem if you keep it indoors.

Elrik
#4 Posted : 12/8/2018 8:47:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Benzyme is right, for the home lab e.bay is the way to go.
Dont be afraid of chinese glass. While some of it is below industry standard, nearly all of it is fully functional and the prices make up for any pieces you get that arent.
For years I couldnt upgrade my lab because of the cost of glassware out of places like germany, england, and [especially] america but now that cheap chinese glass is being shipped to my country its like a golden age Laughing
In fact, I'm recovering solvent with chinese glass as I type this Cool

Exitwound
#5 Posted : 12/9/2018 3:45:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Can syrian rue be extracted in soxhlet?

yes.

benzyme
#6 Posted : 12/9/2018 4:40:57 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

dang, accidentally edited your post Confused my bad.Embarrased

yes, a soxhlet can pull most alkaloids, it’s just a matter of solvent selection. Mixtures of solvents may even be used, as long as they are miscible and low-boiling
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Exitwound
#7 Posted : 12/10/2018 11:31:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
dang, accidentally edited your post Confused my bad.Embarrased

yes, a soxhlet can pull most alkaloids, it’s just a matter of solvent selection. Mixtures of solvents may even be used, as long as they are miscible and low-boiling

That screwed with my mind for a few seconds, before I read your post Shocked

antares
#8 Posted : 12/10/2018 11:09:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Exitwound wrote:
Quote:
Can syrian rue be extracted in soxhlet?

yes.

On a practical note, would it be easy to do it this way?

Most of the threads of rue extraction seem to suggest that filtration is a pain. Would a Soxhlet be clogged up constantly?

benzyme
#9 Posted : 12/11/2018 12:46:46 AM

analytical chemist

depends on how it’s set up.
when I ran soxhlet, I packed powder into coffee filters, and stuffed them in the extractor body.
The siphon never got clogged.

MachienDome
#10 Posted : 1/4/2019 2:20:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone have problems with shattering glass during use with Chinese glass? I'm a bit worried about that and the likely presence of lead-laced radioactive arsenic in the glass.
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."