We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
High Functioning Savants and Psychedelics Options

Psilosopher?
#1 Posted : 11/5/2018 11:24:28 AM

Don't Panic

Have there been any cases of a high functioning savant taking psychedelics? From non-savants, what are your theories about the perceived experience? I know that's a difficult question to answer, since the experience is so subjective.

All i found regarding this topic is this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r...and_the_autism_spectrum/

And this article, which mentions both things, but the mixture of which isn't the focus of this piece.

https://www.frontiersin....89/fnhum.2013.00657/full
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nydex
#2 Posted : 11/5/2018 2:53:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have always been extremely fascinated by savants. The most recent thing that blew my mind is how they flew a savant over New York with a helicopter for 15 minutes and then he proceeded to draw the city as seen from bird's eye POV with 95% accuracy...every street and building and park he had it memorized perfectly. This only hints at the amazing capabilities of the human mind that lie beneath a locked door of perceived limitations.

I would love to hear more about this aspect, but I fear not much research has been done due to the questionable claim that psychedelics worsen an already unstable mental state.

Love & Light Love
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

Jees
#3 Posted : 11/5/2018 4:45:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilosopher? wrote:
Have there been any cases of a high functioning savant taking psychedelics?...
Not that, but there was that talented young savant painter, she got medication to become more social aware. The medicines worked, she did get more social aware but her painting talent just began to fade. This showed that disrupting her specific tuned balance led toward loss of that particular talent. Curious.

padawan
#4 Posted : 11/6/2018 6:39:31 AM

forever learning

Super interesting topic. If you haven't already, check out The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks - really fascinating collection of case studies on different savants.

Savants on psychedelics... I can totally see that as a PhD thesis topic lol

dreamer042
#5 Posted : 11/6/2018 4:01:15 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

It seems there are some pretty incredible ablities locked away in the human brain. The book Return to the Brain of Eden has collected a lot of the research on this phenomena and proposes some pretty interesting hypotheses both for how and why these phenomena exist and possible methods for accessing these abilities.

Here is a pdf of the book under it's previous title: Left in the Dark.

P.S. - It also delves deep into how psychedelics are involved in all this as well.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

universecannon
#6 Posted : 11/7/2018 12:11:08 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

dreamer042 wrote:
It seems there are some pretty incredible ablities locked away in the human brain. The book Return to the Brain of Eden has collected a lot of the research on this phenomena and proposes some pretty interesting hypotheses both for how and why these phenomena exist and possible methods for accessing these abilities.

Here is a pdf of the book under it's previous title: Left in the Dark.

P.S. - It also delves deep into how psychedelics are involved in all this as well.

Can confirm: this book is mindblowing

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

MachienDome
#7 Posted : 1/4/2019 1:17:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the pdf, I'll be reading it soon! Sounds like a great read...
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."