We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Help! Peruvian Torch splitting open Options

Mitakuye Oyasin
#1 Posted : 11/17/2017 1:11:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yesterday I noticed a huge split in the side of my otherwise very healthy looking Peruvian Torch cactus. There was also a horizontal split on the other side. Today the large vertical split has grown even larger. Any ideas what is causing this? Will I have to cut it at the base? I've never seen this before. Very strange.

Mitakuye Oyasin attached the following image(s):
P1010186.JPG (650kb) downloaded 165 time(s).
P1010187.JPG (655kb) downloaded 164 time(s).
P1010185.JPG (647kb) downloaded 163 time(s).
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Mitakuye Oyasin
#2 Posted : 11/17/2017 11:18:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can any Cactus people offer any help or advice? Looks like I might have to lop off the whole head.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Ulim
#3 Posted : 11/17/2017 11:47:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thats a really bad overwater case.
They soak up every water they can get and end up blowing up.
No water anymore and try to swap out the soil to better drain.
Try to apply some dry/mold repelling powder to it.
Something like limestone dust. Or a slight amount of sulfur.
You might also want to carefully take it out of the soil entirely and leave it to dry if the soil is even slightly wet.

It wont die if no mold or infection takes place but it will leave a big scar.

Sakkadelic
#4 Posted : 11/17/2017 11:48:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

maybe this, have no experience with cactus but my first thought was over watering bcz i know about this with some fruit trees

oh Ulim got it before me
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 11/18/2017 2:20:05 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That is one bloated cactus! Just let it dry out for the winter, it should be fine.

Has it been windy? Maybe mechanical forces have contributed to the split.

In the bottom picture, we can see how the split has been propagating upwards - the top third is clearly several days fresher.

Would high nitrogen - or other nutrient - levels contribute to the bloat and split, perhaps?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Mitakuye Oyasin
#6 Posted : 11/18/2017 11:18:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the feedback. I did not think I was overwatering, but it makes sense. It got a bit of rain water a few days after I gave it some water and nutes. Must have absorbed too much. Might have been a warm day as well since heat expands water. I'll let it dry out and see how it handles scarring.
— Terence McKenna

#7 Posted : 11/19/2017 12:38:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

Would high nitrogen - or other nutrient - levels contribute to the bloat and split, perhaps?

This was my first thought, too high nitro or spikes can cause bursting/splitting. Might be something else though, I'm not sure.

Ulim
#8 Posted : 11/19/2017 5:27:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tatt wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

This was my first thought, too high nitro or spikes can cause bursting/splitting. Might be something else though, I'm not sure.

I think its mostly water damage that popped open a scar. Does nitrogen really blow up cacti?
I thought nitrogen would just turn em yellow and let em die.
Definetly keep away water and nutrients.

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 11/19/2017 7:38:48 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

TOO much nitrogen might kill them off but a boost prior to heavy rainfall would at least contribute to the likelihood of splitting, if you think about the osmotics of it.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Noisy
#10 Posted : 11/19/2017 8:24:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I got similar scars on one of my San Pedro last year because of overwatering.

Using terracotta pots and a more draining substrate helped avoiding this, this summer.

Ulim
#11 Posted : 11/20/2017 6:31:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Noisy wrote:
I got similar scars on one of my San Pedro last year because of overwatering.

Using terracotta pots and a more draining substrate helped avoiding this, this summer.

Yeah ceramics leak water better. Make sure the bottom of the pot has big holes and is not root bound.
Might wanna carefully take the cactus out without putting much stress on it.
You could add something like 10% sands to that soil or maybe some non porous non water holding gravel.

wearepeople
#12 Posted : 12/24/2018 4:17:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From what I've seen, peruvianus are more prone to this than other types. Especially the Matucana region peru's.
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

Th Entity
#13 Posted : 12/24/2018 6:25:42 AM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

Hey i dont know about cactus but if that was on a tree or bush this will be feeding, breeding ground for insects normally if i would get something like that on a plant i would 100% close that wound because it will attract fungus, insects might attack it, where i live there is a thing called "Tree seal" its like a paste that you apply that hardens. Good Luck Thumbs up

Mitakuye Oyasin
#14 Posted : 12/24/2018 7:48:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. I treated it with sulphur powder, then sprayed some copper infused water on it every day for a week or two and it seemed to heal itself. It's doing well now and has grown fatter and taller since the split. Hope it does not happen again.
— Terence McKenna