CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
What is the purpose in Psilocybin? Options

Xwolfgangx97
#1 Posted : 12/7/2018 8:21:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone, I was looking at the chem. Structure of Psilocin (the metabolite) and serotonin and was thinking "what is the purpose in this chemical in the mushroom." Is it just a means of defense from less evolved animals, as they would trip out and likely be eaten, or does the mushroom use the psilocybin as a means of cellular communication, similar to Serotonin in our neurons? Not much on google about this... sorry just got some dab today and im high as hell lmao

Psychedelic news, articles, interviews and art from the DMT-Nexus and other sources.

0_o
#2 Posted : 12/7/2018 10:17:27 AM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

In some animals like mice psychedelics cause them to stop hiding and being cautious.
Possibly by affecting the sense of self... and altering perception.
This vastly decreases survivability, mice that do not hide become food.

However humans have no major predators and as long as they stay safe they can enjoy states that other species are negatively affected by.

Xwolfgangx97
#3 Posted : 12/7/2018 11:49:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thats a good point, but then what purpose does DMT serve the tree I wonder, maybe dmt kills insects similar to the chemical in mothballs and weve just been smoking natures pesticide 😂😂

DreadedShaman
#4 Posted : 12/7/2018 12:06:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a post in Welcome Discussion that fits into this, though (although realizing the science behind it too) I more into the idea that t
The chemicals are the plants/fungi trying to communicate with with us

Loveall
#5 Posted : 12/7/2018 1:03:40 PM

💖

Chemical expertSenior Member

One possibility is that the mushroom figured out how to make us cultivate it. It may also be upgrading our neurological network with good old psychedlic neurogenesis so we don't stupedly destroy the planet we both inhabit.

This may sound far-fetched (and well, it is). However, keep im mind that mushrooms figured out how to make ants climb to high ground before fruiting out of their head, and how to turn cicadas into sex crazed bisexual half body sporulating zombies.

When I'm growimg mushrooms sometimes I ask myself, am I really growing the mushroom or is the mushroom making me grow it? Does it matter? I dont really know, but I end up just enjoying the beauty of the grow.
“... (a) psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it.”
Excerpt from a McKenna talk transcript / audio.

0_o
#6 Posted : 12/7/2018 1:47:31 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

I admit I am not specist nor into teleology.
I don't support the idea that existence revolves around our species and what we use things for.

I don't believe rocks evolved to be used as arrowheads, to give an example.

Edited to add:
The idea that organisms have goals in evolution is a form of magical thinking.
Like the concept that an organism chooses to evolve a trait for a specific purpose is like saying that plastic chose to exist so that it could kill sea turtles. Or like saying that trees choose to evolve to have bark so they could be places for moss to grow.

pete666
#7 Posted : 12/7/2018 1:54:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another "possibility" is that (not only) mushrooms are just some kind of factories. Designed by some higher intelligence and offering us a key to another dimensions. I can't imagine the intelligence I saw and experienced there is just coincidence of interaction between some random chemical and our brain. This could hardly evolve without intent within some reasonable time.

But yes, if I forget what I saw there, other theories might be likely too Smile
Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.

0_o
#8 Posted : 12/7/2018 2:02:30 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

If mushrooms existed before people then wouldn't we claim that people evolved to that mushrooms chemicals could have an effect?

pete666