We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Calcium Hydroxide instead of lye? Options

mattritt
#1 Posted : 11/14/2009 7:51:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Would I be able to use Calcium Hydroxide instead of NaOH? I have a bunch already and would rather not work with lye. If so would I use the same proportioning?
Step forward into your cave. That's right. You're going deeper into your cave. And you're going to find, your power animal...

Imagine your pain as a white ball of healing light. It moves over your body, healing you. Now keep this going, remember to breathe, and step forward through the backdoor of the room. Where does it lead?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

corridors of my cells
#2 Posted : 11/14/2009 1:16:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

isnt the same thread started 2 days ago Smile or its dejavu ehehe.... Potassium hydroxide is better i guess. but simply anything which has 12-14 pH is fine Razz just the amount of yield may vary, or you may have to use much more KOH or whatever.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 11/14/2009 1:27:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

how well does calcium hydroxide dissolve in water?

What pH does it take to?

I would say if you are gonna use calcium hydroxide, then dont make an STB, make an A/B instead.. This increases your chances of working I guess, but im not speaking from experience, just what I would do if thats all I had

biopsylo
#4 Posted : 11/14/2009 4:02:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
just the amount of yield may vary, or you may have to use much more KOH or whatever.

in my experience, KOH (potassium hydroxide) is a very high quality reagent, and requires about the same as NaOH. KOH flakes are also relatively safe to handle, even with bare hands. don't try this with NaOH! lye eats tissue.

it would be great to hear how calcium hydroxide works out for you. i had quite good success performing an A/B and only using sodium carbonate as base. this is even easier to come by-just bake sodium bicarbonate in oven for 2 hrs @400f in a clean baking dish.

corridors of my cells
#5 Posted : 11/14/2009 4:10:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

biopsylo wrote:
Quote:
just the amount of yield may vary, or you may have to use much more KOH or whatever.

in my experience, KOH (potassium hydroxide) is a very high quality reagent, and requires about the same as NaOH. KOH flakes are also relatively safe to handle, even with bare hands. don't try this with NaOH! lye eats tissue.

it would be great to hear how calcium hydroxide works out for you. i had quite good success performing an A/B and only using sodium carbonate as base. this is even easier to come by-just bake sodium bicarbonate in oven for 2 hrs @400f in a clean baking dish.

Hmmm thats nice to hear from someone with experience thanks a lot for the info. Most people say KOH is really good but never heard of Calcium hydroxide used, what is the pH value for Calcium hydroxide?

biopsylo
#6 Posted : 11/15/2009 1:44:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

12.3-12.4 for calcium hydroxide.(wiki) hmm .. interesting.
i was only using old ph papers, and quite sure i got ph13 with sodium carbonate.

corridors of my cells
#7 Posted : 11/15/2009 10:29:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

biopsylo wrote:
12.3-12.4 for calcium hydroxide.(wiki) hmm .. interesting.
i was only using old ph papers, and quite sure i got ph13 with sodium carbonate.

sodium carbonate is pH 11 as far as i know

biopsylo
#8 Posted : 11/15/2009 4:35:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
sodium carbonate is pH 11 as far as i know

yeah, you are right.

ph 11.6 @ 45.5g/100ml aqueous solution. for sodium carbonate.

indeed my ph papers ARE old. Shocked i miss my digital ph meter!
thanks for that.

mattritt
#9 Posted : 11/15/2009 11:59:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea, Ive decided to go A/B after realizing I could use acetic acid with decent results. Any comments on that? Also where would one obtain potassium hydroxide?
Step forward into your cave. That's right. You're going deeper into your cave. And you're going to find, your power animal...

Imagine your pain as a white ball of healing light. It moves over your body, healing you. Now keep this going, remember to breathe, and step forward through the backdoor of the room. Where does it lead?

69ron
#10 Posted : 11/16/2009 1:13:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mattritt wrote:
Would I be able to use Calcium Hydroxide instead of NaOH? I have a bunch already and would rather not work with lye. If so would I use the same proportioning?

Calcium hydroxide is best for an STB tech designed specifically for it. It's poorly soluble in water and so doesn't work well in A/B techs, but will work, just not that well.

For an STB you need about 50:50 of calcium hydroxide to powdered bark, and just enough water to make it wet. Mix it. Let it sit a few hours mixing occasionally and making sure it stays wet. Then pull with naphtha. Mimosa is harder to extract than chacruna and chaliponga, so people tend to use sodium hydroxide because it helps break down plant fibers better. It has nothing to do with the DMT. DMT is 99% freebased at pH 10.68, and 99.9% freebased at 11.68. Anything 12 and up is overkill for DMT, but does help degrade the plant matter making the extraction a little more efficient for mimosa, but making things worse for chacruna and chaliponga because of the soap that forms from the fats present which causes emulsions.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Touche Guevara
#11 Posted : 11/16/2009 2:40:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Interesting. I wonder if there is another way to break down the mimosa without having to use NaOH. Maybe get it damp and do some freeze-thaw cycles?

biopsylo
#12 Posted : 11/16/2009 6:54:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, freeze thaw cycles may help, but using powderized mimosa will probably be a great starting point.

Quote:
Calcium hydroxide is best for an STB tech designed specifically for it. It's poorly soluble in water and so doesn't work well in A/B techs, but will work, just not that well.

For an STB you need about 50:50 of calcium hydroxide to powdered bark, and just enough water to make it wet. Mix it. Let it sit a few hours mixing occasionally and making sure it stays wet. Then pull with naphtha. Mimosa is harder to extract than chacruna and chaliponga, so people tend to use sodium hydroxide because it helps break down plant fibers better. It has nothing to do with the DMT. DMT is 99% freebased at pH 10.68, and 99.9% freebased at 11.68. Anything 12 and up is overkill for DMT, but does help degrade the plant matter making the extraction a little more efficient for mimosa, but making things worse for chacruna and chaliponga because of the soap that forms from the fats present which causes emulsions.

also, Ron brings up a great point here--using calcium hydroxide properly would probably mean creating a dry-tek-stb created around calcium hydroxides' properties. this is important information. i think there was another thread a while back-possibly using d-limonene instead of naptha? would heptane work as well?
i am intrigued by this type of approach, having completed a mini-dry tek inside the fasw tek,-this involved dmt fumarate + sodium carbonate+ a few drops water and mixing well before acetone pulls. it is nice to use less water.

Touche Guevara
#13 Posted : 11/16/2009 6:58:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So as I understand it, one could pretty much just perform the cactus non-toxic tek with mimosa and lime in a 1:1 ratio, and then use naptha instead of the limonene assuming the limo would leave a residue if evaporated. Then instead of salting with vinegar, freeze precip. Sound about right?

w0mbat
#14 Posted : 11/17/2009 1:12:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:

For an STB you need about 50:50 of calcium hydroxide to powdered bark, and just enough water to make it wet. ...

I thought it was 25 g calcium hydroxide/lime per 100 g MHRB?

Using the 1:1 ratio can't hurt anything, right?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

tryptographer
#15 Posted : 11/23/2009 10:00:14 PM

tryptamine photographer

That would work too because of its low solubility. Calcium hydroxide is a strong base, don't let it touch your eyes or skin. But it doesn't dissolve tissue like lye.

A while ago I attempted a wet lime STB, at high temperature (if memory serves 1 part Ca(OH)2 : 1 part MHRB powder : 10 parts water). I was amazed at the pure white DMT without any yellow oil after freeze prep, it didn't even stick to the bottom. But yields were lowish... I didn't weigh anything though. More experiments needed to see how reproducible this is.

Anyway: calcium hydroxide is one of the most useful substances to the psychonaut!