We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Chemical waste disposel?? Options

Fractalus
#1 Posted : 11/2/2018 1:47:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all dear walking lights Pleased)

what do you do with your chem waste? espesialy xylen dcm and the more badass stuff, if you dont have fansy distilation setup and after each extraction you stuck with impure chems?

swim want to go ecologocal way and dont pour it in the ground and yes of course distalation is the eco way but not for the small kichen chemist.

btw swim one's do the mistake of puring xylen in the sawarage and hes neighbers smell it from there bathroom and he has to make up stuff, really not pleasent expirience.
he gusses that with p.eter its ok but for all the nasty chems he want to find a better way for disposal.
though the minds may be different, the body forms may be different
it is through the heart that we recognize our spirits are one.

everything im writing is a complete fiction and it is only a reflection of my imagination.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 11/2/2018 1:52:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

See if in your town you have a chemical disposing place.

Otherwise, solvents can be left to evaporate somewhere safe, base can be neutralized with an acid and then discarded down the drain (some people even use bases to unclog drains directly)

Fractalus
#3 Posted : 11/2/2018 2:04:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

swim also pour base to drain, he dosnt think he have disposing place and if he has
dont it be susspicous that he want there services? (from looking at swim you can tell imidiatly for what the chem was used)

everything im writing is a complete fiction and it is only a reflection of my imagination.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 11/10/2018 12:00:15 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

it's 2018. nobody swims anymore.
if one can't distill, one uses molecular sieves.

the best thing one can do is invest in equipment, if one is serious about [sustainable] chemistry.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Fractalus
#5 Posted : 11/10/2018 8:33:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so the point is that the molecular sieves will absorb the waste and the solvent will be ok to use/to find how to deal with?
and the size of the sieves will depend on the solvent used right?
please explain a bit more about using sieves

to invest in distiller is on TOP PRIORITY! but monetary issue sadly makes it not relevant for now, its wet dream that will have to wait for now...

benzyme
#6 Posted : 11/10/2018 11:59:47 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

mol. sieves are used to dry organic solvents, wicking up residual aqueous solutions.

now that I think about it, you could wash your organic solvents with 5% sodium carbonate, separate, and run through molecular sieves, or pour into a contaner with magnesium/sodium/calcium sulfate salts, to dry them.
this will only address the aqueous contaminants. to separate fats, you'd need to cool the solvent in the freezer, then filter, and pour through activated carbon.

this is a pretty decent topic. I'll search for any e-books I may have, and attach them.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#7 Posted : 11/11/2018 12:34:43 AM

analytical chemist

one could use a simple water bath distillation for low-boiling solvents: a pan or large dish holding hot water, with a large glass container containing the dirty solvent, and a smaller glass container in the middle to collect. a curved glass lid would be placed on top, to drip condensed solvent into the collection container.

then dry the solvent with (dried) epsom salt*.

*epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. it can be dried by microwaving for 5-10 mins, or baked @ 300-400F for 1-3 hrs.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 11/11/2018 10:17:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For a lot of processes and non-polar solvents (xylene, limonene, toluene, naphtha), you can also reuse them pretty much indefinitely

Wash it out repeatedly with both acidified and basic aqueous solutions, you can even filter it if you think there are tiny suspended particulates. Then reuse.