We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Yoyo play as a form of meditation. Options

Mister_Niles
#1 Posted : 6/23/2017 3:21:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] I suck at meditation. I'm almost 50 years old and I've tried many methods over the years and I've always failed. Eventually I realized that my practice of deep listening (discovered via Pauline Oliveros) is a form of meditation.

I was into yoyo for a few months in the late 90s, but I dropped it because I was busy with my record store, new wife, trying to have a kid etc. I managed to learn a few tricks, and really enjoyed it, but I never got very advanced.

A couple of months ago I stumbled on a youtube video and was blown away by how much yoyo technology and play had advanced. I am back into it and I'm learning a lot, quickly, and having a blast.

It occurred to me that with longer trick combos and competition, that advanced players must achieve some level of flow state. That got me thinking that maybe repeater tricks (tricks that loop) could be a form of meditation if I can get good enough to do it effortlessly.

I know that other skill toys and practices like juggling, fire spinning and drumming can induce flow and trance states, so maybe this will work.

Any yoyo people on the Nexus?

btw- picked up a yoyo on the comedown of a recent mushroom trip, and it was amazing.

Also:
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

neb
#2 Posted : 11/4/2018 7:12:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] I suck at meditation. I'm almost 50 years old and I've tried many methods over the years and I've always failed. Eventually I realized that my practice of deep listening (discovered via Pauline Oliveros) is a form of meditation.

I was into yoyo for a few months in the late 90s, but I dropped it because I was busy with my record store, new wife, trying to have a kid etc. I managed to learn a few tricks, and really enjoyed it, but I never got very advanced.

A couple of months ago I stumbled on a youtube video and was blown away by how much yoyo technology and play had advanced. I am back into it and I'm learning a lot, quickly, and having a blast.

It occurred to me that with longer trick combos and competition, that advanced players must achieve some level of flow state. That got me thinking that maybe repeater tricks (tricks that loop) could be a form of meditation if I can get good enough to do it effortlessly.

I know that other skill toys and practices like juggling, fire spinning and drumming can induce flow and trance states, so maybe this will work.

Any yoyo people on the Nexus?

btw- picked up a yoyo on the comedown of a recent mushroom trip, and it was amazing.

Also:

Hey! I play yoyo all the time! been playing for years! I use it as a meditation often, its like an instrument. when you hit the flow state its just bliss!

Nice to see other yoyo-nexians.

I see this post is old, but I love yoyo's was so surprized to see a yoyo post here!
wake 'n breakthrough bebiii

#3 Posted : 11/4/2018 8:24:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

check out "the mind illuminated" by john yates. it propelled my 5 year meditation experience to new levels - within 6 weeks of use.

these are the best instructions that are available at the moment

ajlala
#4 Posted : 11/12/2018 8:05:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

332211 wrote:
check out "the mind illuminated" by john yates. it propelled my 5 year meditation experience to new levels - within 6 weeks of use.

these are the best instructions that are available at the moment

Thanks - "The Mind Illuminated" looks very well reviewed, but also quite advanced and technical (not for beginners)?