We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Dreamachine or other stroboscopic device under influence Options

imPsimon
#1 Posted : 11/18/2009 8:27:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I vaguely remember reading about some tests in the 60's/70's were they took acid with stroboscopic lights to
produce some peculiar effects.

Have any of you guys tried this wonderful (at least visually pleasing) "machine" under
the influence of psychedelics?

Or maybe some other stroboscopic device?

Please share your thoughts

I'm goonna build one some day when I got the time, if it doesn't work as advertised it still makes
a very cool lamp=)

From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamachine

"The dreamachine (or dream machine) is a stroboscopic flicker device that produces visual stimuli. Artist Brion Gysin and William Burroughs's "systems adviser" Ian Sommerville created the dreamachine after reading William Grey Walter's book, The Living Brain.[1][2]

In its original form, a dreamachine is made from a cylinder with slits cut in the sides. The cylinder is placed on a record turntable and rotated at 78 or 45 revolutions per minute. A light bulb is suspended in the center of the cylinder and the rotation speed allows the light to come out from the holes at a constant frequency, situated between 8 and 13 pulses per second. This frequency range corresponds to alpha waves, electrical oscillations normally present in the human brain while relaxing."
imPsimon attached the following image(s):
450px-Dreamachine_still_lit.jpg (59kb) downloaded 105 time(s).
20dream.1.big.jpg (38kb) downloaded 105 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

nadir
#2 Posted : 11/18/2009 10:31:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

after all it just stimulates alpha band. you can use binaural stimulation (like hemi-sync) with similar effects.
however, probably seeing lights can do a bit more than just stimulation..
try searching, keywords: alpha band, hallucinogens, eeg
all my posts are random generated and can not be evaluated as distinct ideas

Evening Glory wrote:
This is a medicine, remember, not some video you can watch inside your head.

Observant
#3 Posted : 11/19/2009 9:01:29 AM

Nothing Stops The Void

Great thread ! I think i will build one of these . Smile
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

damiana
#4 Posted : 11/19/2009 9:10:09 AM

Cosmic Dragon

That is so cool, I want one. One could make it have theta vibrations for meditation and deep relaxation, then take some bufo or something. That would be fun.
PEACE

imPsimon
#5 Posted : 11/19/2009 6:24:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://content.karger.co...945&ProduktNr=223840

"The history of flicker-induced hallucinations goes back to the pre-scientific era. There is a popular story, for example, in which Catherine de Medici had Nostradamus sitting on her rooftop. The prophet would subsequently receive visions by watching the sun with his eyes closed, quickly interrupting the light with his spread hand [2]. Fact or fiction?"

Ever seen patterns emerge when you're sitting with eyes closed in a moving car a sunny day and the light gets
broken by tree branches?

I have=)

۩
#6 Posted : 11/19/2009 9:24:49 PM

I built one once and sitting in front of it with closed eyes definitely produced wonderfully colorful geometric patterns...but thats about it...
never tried it with spice...but if you have spice, you might as well just puff on that.

imPsimon
#7 Posted : 11/19/2009 9:50:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
I built one once and sitting in front of it with closed eyes definitely produced wonderfully colorful geometric patterns...but thats about it...
never tried it with spice...but if you have spice, you might as well just puff on that.

That's what most people I found in articles say. Pretty but that's about it.
However, did you ever try it with psilocybin or maybe some acid?

Might be hard to sit a couple of inches away from the dreamachine while on spice
but maybe some other strobe like device like a sleep mask with blinking diodes
could produce some interesting effects.

=)

Espiridion
#8 Posted : 11/19/2009 10:56:36 PM

--who.??..ME??--

Yes. The Ptolemy Wheel revisited.

I engineered soeme led goggles that ran from the joystick port on my Atari 800 way back when with surprising results but this machine is so aesthetic. It would be cool to have one whether it worked or not. Maybe slow it down with some resistance on the turntable. Anyway, cool thread. I love when people try to hack their brain, we are capable of SO much more than we know. TAP IT!

Namaste,

J
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

fourthripley
#9 Posted : 11/19/2009 10:58:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Currently reading James Oroc's 'Trytamine Palace'; in one of the appendices he quotes Grof's very powerful experience with a stroboscope during an acid trip. If I can't paste it from online somewhere I'll type it up when I get the time...
mistakes were made

۩
#10 Posted : 11/19/2009 11:03:23 PM

The mars volta had a huge one on their stage one time :]