We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
I'm going to be injected with DMT in the name of science Options

Bancopuma
#41 Posted : 7/31/2017 12:57:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A talk by study lead Chris Timmermann on the DMT EEG research I was a participant in from the recent Breaking Convention conference.

Chris Timmermann - Dynamic Transitions Of Consciousness: An EEG Study Using DMT

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DoingKermit
#42 Posted : 11/3/2017 11:11:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A recent talk by Chris Timmermann regarding the DMT EEG study at Imperial.

Godsmacker
#43 Posted : 11/4/2017 7:16:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Zei Gezunt, brother... brave are the men and wombmen who were among the first to ingest DMT & 5-MeO-DMT intravenously during an fMRI scan.......... I really hope you aren't claustrophobic, nor that the constant ding-pah-ing symphony of NMR doesn't get on your nerves whilst immersed in a breakthrough state of consciousness...

May The Spirit of The Late Nick Sands fare you well... This research team is doing great work, work which, I have a notion, that he would approve of this research team's intentions of highly. The Second Psychedelic revolution has generated its seed crystals; I expect that it will turn into a snowball soon.

צו געזונט,
--God

'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Bancopuma
#44 Posted : 10/25/2018 2:35:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi y'all, I'm privileged to be a study participant in the next phase of this cutting edge neuroscience research on DMT conducted by Imperial College looking at the effects of the compound on the brain via fMRI and EEG, attached is an image of my brain produced via my baseline MRI scan. It was my first time in an MRI scanner and quite a jarring experience to begin with, but by the end I felt really quite chilled out in there...it was definitely good to get acquainted with it prior to the two dosing study days next month. Next time, I will be tested in the MRI via IV injections of pure DMT and [saline] placebo...I have a feeling I’ll know which is which pretty quickly.. Shocked

I was part of the pilot DMT-EEG study, part of the purpose of which was to establish the right dosage range (and each participant was dosed once with DMT). This next study using fMRI and EEG will be using larger doses and multiple dosings per participant. My DMT experience in the previous study was one of my most serene and beautiful DMT experiences, but I've heard a few reports from people who have gone before me as part of this study that this is likely going to be a lot more intense (I don't think my dosage was particularly high last time). Onwards!! Smile
Bancopuma attached the following image(s):
Brain fMRI.jpg (785kb) downloaded 433 time(s).

Spaced Out 2
#45 Posted : 10/25/2018 3:20:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's awesome stuff bancopuma!
I look forward to hearing about the results!

Jees
#46 Posted : 10/25/2018 9:40:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Slicing people without slicing them, humans are truly amazing creatures Love

neb
#47 Posted : 10/25/2018 4:05:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hahahaha, i wanted to get IV DMT for years, but never had the guts to do it.. also.. purity, i wouldnt trust the average extraction haha
wake 'n breakthrough bebiii

TimePantry
#48 Posted : 10/26/2018 5:53:54 AM

It's a field.

Nice lookin brain ya got there.

The most intense thing that ever happened to me on a strong dose of spice was that I blinked out of existence momentarily (not died or anything, nor unconscious, just <blip!> ) -- maybe I went somewhere else and had a whole nother adventure, I don't know.

Then I felt myself being reconstituted one layer of tissue at a time. It was kind of like being 3D-printed.

Most peculiar.
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

MachienDome
#49 Posted : 11/27/2018 5:14:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Fascinating topic! Glad to hear your experience went well! This is an exciting opportunity for you and science! As you are an experienced traveler, I too would be interested in hearing more about your experience with a clinical environment vs a “normal” one. As for the “ego dissolution” part of it which you mentioned they were interested in studying, how did that go? Did you feel as though “you” were “there” in the space? I’m always interested in that whole side of the human experience.

I will keep an eye on this thread for further updates as well. Happy travels! Thumbs up
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."

Bancopuma
#50 Posted : 11/27/2018 3:27:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, I've been through the study. Following a few hours of screening and getting acquainted with the MRI, I had two full DMT study days at the Imperial College's Hammersmith Hospital in London. This would be a study looking at the phenomenology of the DMT experience (via questionnaire surveys), brain wave states (via EEG) and brain activity (by using changes associated with blood flow as a correlate, via fMRI). The two study days were a week apart (a slot came available earlier than originally planned, and it was a big help to the Imperial guys with my being able to be flexible). I abstained from intoxicants a week prior to the study day. I was initially invited to participate in the pilot DMT-EEG study via a friend who is paying for the MRI scanning sessions, and I had the opportunity to participate in this study due to other study participants moving about in the scanner and giving poor quality data as a result.

On the study day, on arrival at the hospital, I meet with the head neuroscientist whose study it is, another researcher working with him, and the medical doctor who will be injecting me with the DMT (high purity synthetic DMT fumarate) and placebo (saline). I wash my hair in preparation for the EEG skullcap being fitted, and then a number of electrodes are attached to a number of places over my scalp via a gel that soon solidifies as I complete a number of questionnaire surveys on a laptop. I'm wired up to the EEG and shown how sensitive it is to noisy data (essentially if the face isn't relaxed). So one needs to be relaxed and very still while undergoing the DMT experience in the MRI for high quality data to be produced. I'm fitted with an injection port in my arm to allow for easy IV injection of DMT and placebo. I have good rapport with the Imperial team and feel like I'm in good, safe hands. I've met the leading neuroscientist running the study a number of times, he's a great chap.

There are four EEG and fMRI brain scanning sessions...two with DMT (in the medium and high dosage range), two with saline placebo, and I don't know which order I'll be receiving the dosages in. It was good to have been acquainted with the MRI environment prior to any dosing. My upper body is confined to the MRI tube, and my head is secured. For the quality of both the EEG and MRI data, it is imperative I cannot and do not move. I have eye shades on while being scanned, with eyes closed. The scanner is really quite noisy, but despite the noise and the confined, restricted space, I quite quickly start to feel comfortable in there.

I was really quite nervous prior to my first dosing. Prior to my first scanning session I gave a urine sample for a drug test to make sure I was clean. I was fitted into the bed in the scanner and it was made sure I was secure. My head was locked in and I was fitted with ear plugs and ear defenders. Eye shades were placed over my eyes and I was loaded into the scanner. Anxiety levels were increasing. I communicate with the study lead through an intercom. He plays a recording of "You are receiving the dose now" and I select my preferred volume over the sound of the baseline scan of my brain. Following the scan, it is time for the dosing. I know that dosing is now imminent, and I'm pretty nervous and my heart is pounding. I receive my dose, and nothing happens. Going on from previous experience in the DMT-EEG pilot study, I know it would only be a few seconds before I start feeling the dose if it was DMT. I'm able to relax, knowing I will not be receiving the dose now. I think this worked quite well, as with more time spent in the MRI scanner, the more comfortable I got being in there.

I fill out a variety of questionnaire surveys and we have lunch. Another member of the Imperial team I know comes to pay me a visit with his baby. This is nice and has a soothing effect on my nerves. We head back in the scanner. A little nervous as I know I will be being dosed for sure now. I personally don't enter the DMT space lightly these days...it is not really a "love n' light" experience for me, but rather something much more serious and imposing in tone, if not outright menacing in tone. I'm wired up and loaded in the scanner, with a panic button on hand, and I'm talked through a body scanning session to help relax me. This time around, I will provide an intensity rating every minute. The study lead starts asking me my intensity rating (0 being no effect, 10 being the most intense drug effect imaginable), so I know dosing is imminent. I hear the dosing notification recording, and prepare for blast off. Within in a few seconds there is a distinct shift and expansion of perception behind closed eyelids...the contrast changes dramatically, a silvery screen comes into focus, and from this geometric patterns of extraordinary beauty and order condense and coalesce and link up in the space of just a few seconds. At the same time, I become aware of this feeling of heat or warm energy in both of my hands (something I experience repeatedly on mushrooms and other psychedelics and cannabis, and sometimes while deeply relaxed or meditating). This is a pleasant sensation, and for some reason it reassured me, I knew I was going to be ok, and relaxed and surrendered completely to the experience. It takes me a minute following dosing to peak interestingly. At minute 1 I'm at a 7, minute 2 I'm at an 8, by minute 3 I'm already on my way back! A very fleeting and fast moving experience. The geometric visual architecture I'm witness too is outrageously beautiful. I remember coppery, bronzey metallic colours, navy blue and some neon pink in the centre of my vision during the peak...in the centre of my vision, it was like there was a light shining into the visual realm, illuminating what I was seeing and splitting up the spectrum of colours to produce a resplendently coloured but localised pool of constantly undulating colours. As the intensity of the peak wears off and I start to come back, I feel in a serene afterglow state, and I nearly tear up in gratitude for having the opportunity to experience something so amazing. I completely relaxed into the remainder of the experience, and I realise the anxieties I'd carried were misplaced.

I should mention that IV DMT is a very smooth ROA, and I much prefer it to vaping. The transition to DMT space I found was smoother and less jarring than vaping it, and due to this smooth entry to DMT space, it seems to change the tone of the experience. I imagine at higher dosages things are likely to be more jarring, given how efficient this ROA is, and I’m not really condoning it, as I was injected with medical grade DMT by a medical doctor, it was a nice way to fly though!

Following the experience I am interviewed in detail about the content of my experience, and find I can recall a fair bit (certainly a lot more than by subsequent high dose experience). I then complete a number of questionnaire surveys to assess my experience in different ways, before having a shower to wash the EEG gel out of my scalp (remnants of which remained in there for a week), I say goodbye to the study lead and head home.

For the second study day, things were reversed, in that I got the DMT dose in the morning MRI scanning session, and the placebo for the intensity rating study. For the afternoon placebo session, even without being dosed, I was definitely in an altered, pre-hypnogogic state in the scanner. It makes me curious as to whether the very powerful magnets of the MRI could affect the brain in some way...but I see pink light pulsing in waves, and my imagination and memory recall is unusually vivid. I feel deeply relaxed in there, despite it being confined and it being so noisy, and I feel on the verge of sleep. Following this I am interviewed and complete more questionnaire surveys.

My second DMT dose for the morning scanning session was a fair bit higher, and I could tell this within a few seconds of being injected with it. There was a dramatic change in contrast, accompanied by a very powerful feeling of acceleration or expansion, as I entered the DMT space. I encounter similar very beautiful, very ordered geometric visual patterning, but this time much more expansive and all encompassing, and much fast moving. I recall this experience being one of supreme order and supreme chaos...two opposites...at the same time. This was a more imposing experience given its intensity compared to the first, lighter dose. I have to say, I rather enjoyed the MRI scanner setting! Despite being cramped and restricted in movement, despite the incredible noise, it was experienced as a positive setting for a DMT experience in my case, and really didn't detract (one of my friends who took part in this same study thought the same). The interaction of the loud and highly repetitive and rhythmic MRI scanner sounds was interesting, and had a big effect on the visual aspect of the experience...what I was hearing really seemed to cross over with what I was seeing, and at the peak it was hard to know which was which. The experience was longer than the previous one, but a fair bit harder to recall afterwards, due I think to how fast moving the experience was. I didn't encounter any entities in either experience...and I never have in any of my DMT experiences so far. On my re-entry I experienced the same feelings of gratitude, and feelings of love and empathy for the special people in my life. Despite the power and speed of the geometries I was moving through, I never forgot that I was part of a scientific study (apparently some other participants did forget this), and I remained absolutely still for the duration. I was commended for this by the researchers, who stated that I would be in the front of the queue should Imperial conduct brain imaging research with 5-MeO-DMT.. Shocked Very happy

One of the final questions I was asked in the surveys was to rate to what degree I thought the experience could be explained as the effect of a drug on the brain, and to what degree I thought I was interacting and experiencing something outside or beyond myself. During the experience itself, I may have been more inclined towards the latter, but once I was back, I rated more highly on the "drug effect on brain" scale...while actually being in the DMT space can be so real, so vivid and so convincing at times, when I'm back down and my mind folds back in on itself to conform to this reality, my sceptical walls go back up with it. From this sober vantage point it seems more likely to me that the DMT experience is some very beautiful and mysterious aberration of brain function, an experience of one's deep inner self...not that I feel that detracts from its majesty really, given that the human brain is arguably the most mysterious, complex and amazing thing we know of in the universe.

So there you have it. An experience I feel tremendous gratitude for having had the opportunity to have, and great to see scientific research on psychedelics start to expand into interesting new areas, and great also to encounter some really great people involved in this. Not something I shall ever forget. Onwards!!! Thumbs up

downwardsfromzero
#51 Posted : 11/27/2018 4:34:01 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Wow, Bancopuma! Thanks for sharing this report with us - not only was it a very enjoyable read, my interest and anticipation is piqued for seeing the results of this study.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jees
#52 Posted : 11/27/2018 5:26:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very enjoyable to read indeed.

The more pleasant dmt rise feeling of IV (compared to vaped) leads me to think it is familiar with plugged deems. There are ways to do that without a hassle and with minimal to no discomforts, though this needs maoi of sorts to go well.

It is lovely to read that clinical setups are not necessarily as much of a trip enemy as described by Nick Sand in Moving Into the Sacred World of dmt.

Mindlusion
#53 Posted : 11/27/2018 7:08:03 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Jees wrote:
Very enjoyable to read indeed.

The more pleasant dmt rise feeling of IV (compared to vaped) leads me to think it is familiar with plugged deems. There are ways to do that without a hassle and with minimal to no discomforts, though this needs maoi of sorts to go well.

It is lovely to read that clinical setups are not necessarily as much of a trip enemy as described by Nick Sand in Moving Into the Sacred World of dmt.

That was my experience initially. The come up was a bit slower, and much smoother and pleasant toward the peak, not as much 'in your face' as vaped and without any lung pain. Nevertheless still extremely intense, a breakthrough experience. After that I never wanted to vape it again.

But after a few more trials, including tryptamine analogues (DET, DPT, MPT, etc), I decided the risk was too high for self administration. You have to be fast and exacting with your technique. The onset is still extremely fast, there is no room for error. You don't want to be dealing with whats going on with your arm when reality is transforming around you. So I didn't want to push my luck, because of that, vaping is still the best route.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Lowtones
#54 Posted : 11/30/2018 3:02:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, that's fascinating. Thanks for the very interesting report, I've got nothing to add!

endlessness
#55 Posted : 11/30/2018 8:52:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing! Interesting experience you had with the research, def similar in terms of setting with my salvia experience (still waiting for my brain scans though lol ) Smile

Im surprised you never had any entity experience with DMT.. Did you with any other substance?

One question, would you mind asking, if you didn't yet, if anybody had no experience at all even in highest dosage as Strassman reported.?

Also, sorry if I missed in the thread but, what were the dosages injected?

Be well friend!

Intezam
#56 Posted : 12/1/2018 4:14:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DeeMenTalist
#57 Posted : 12/1/2018 6:55:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice! Wondering what the results of this study will show.
Also I`m very curious what kind of results we can achieve when that neural brain-computer interface will be fully developed, and combined with some AI capabilities. Just imagine, connecting your brain/consciousness directly to the network and blasting off into the digital world. Shocked

Bancopuma
#58 Posted : 12/2/2018 11:18:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Thanks for sharing! Interesting experience you had with the research, def similar in terms of setting with my salvia experience (still waiting for my brain scans though lol ) Smile

Im surprised you never had any entity experience with DMT.. Did you with any other substance?

One question, would you mind asking, if you didn't yet, if anybody had no experience at all even in highest dosage as Strassman reported.?

Also, sorry if I missed in the thread but, what were the dosages injected?

Be well friend!

Hey endlessness Smile

No, I've never had any entity encounters on DMT...I've only had the single [quite amazing] entity encounter, a very cool and colourful octopus critter on psilohuasca (Syrian rue extract plus 10g fresh Copelandia cyanescens "Hawaiian" mushrooms). But never on DMT, or any other occasion, thus far. I find this quite perplexing given that I'm a biologist and wildlife fan who lives physical world entities, and actively wants to encounter a DMT entity...I would have thought I would have been biased towards such encounters, if anything! I definitely seem to be pretty rare amount DMTnauts, but I've learned recently via the DMT subreddit group that I'm definitely not alone, even if I'm a member of a rare species. Intriguing indeed given how much entities seem to feature in other people's experiences.

I'll be intrigued to ask the Imperial team to what extent DMT entities featured in peoples high dose experiences...as far as I'm aware, Strassman's high doses exceed the high doses those used in the Imperial studies. I don't know the exact dosages used...20mg IV was mentioned as a solid dose used in the DMT-EEG pilot study I was involved in, but I wasn't told what the dosages were that were used (only that they were medium and high doses)...I guess this will come clear when the research is published.

Hope all's well with you dude! Thumbs up

MachienDome
#59 Posted : 12/5/2018 10:17:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma, I'm interested in if you can shed some light on the researchers doing the experiments...

What were their goals of the experiment? Was it completely scientific or did they also have any questions about the mytical side of the experience? Did they themselves have any experience with psychedelics. What about any known plans for future studies, is this experiment a prelude to further studies or just a purely scientific study to see what it does to the brain?

As for you, how do you feel the setting influenced your trip? Having prior experience with DMT, do you feel it some how hindered you from going as far as you would have without the giant machine and loud noises?
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."

Bancopuma
#60 Posted : 12/5/2018 11:06:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

MachienDome wrote:
Bancopuma, I'm interested in if you can shed some light on the researchers doing the experiments...

What were their goals of the experiment? Was it completely scientific or did they also have any questions about the mytical side of the experience? Did they themselves have any experience with psychedelics. What about any known plans for future studies, is this experiment a prelude to further studies or just a purely scientific study to see what it does to the brain?

As for you, how do you feel the setting influenced your trip? Having prior experience with DMT, do you feel it some how hindered you from going as far as you would have without the giant machine and loud noises?

Hey MachienDome,

This study is looking at the phenomenology of the DMT experience (via questionnaire surveys), brain wave states (via EEG) and brain activity (by using changes associated with blood flow as a correlate, via fMRI). The Imperial team are coming from a neuroscientific/reductionist perspective but are interested in looking at the mystical aspects of the experience. The core team are all experienced with psychedelics, and have been dosed with DMT in the MRI themselves. I'm not aware of any further DMT research plans; I think this study was investigative and looking at DMT's effects on phenomenology and the brain. There was mention of a possible similar future study looking at 5-MeO-DMT, and Imperial tare just about to embark on a large study looking at the effects of psilocybin on treatment resistant depression, comparing it to the SSRI antidepressant citalopram and placebo.

Perhaps surprisingly, I didn't feel the clinical and confined and noisy setting of the MRI scanner influenced my trip that much, it certainly didn't seemed to detract, and I really cherish the experiences I had there. I was definitely made to feel well looked after, and the study lead has a very grounded and calming presence. One interesting and unique component of the experience though was the way in which the sounds of the MRI scanner synced up to the DMT experience I had in there while being scanned, there was a really interesting crossover between what I was hearing and what I was seeing, my senses crossed over, I guess a form of synaesthesia, which was cool. I actually felt pretty relaxed and cost in the MRI, despite my pre-flight jitters, and don't feel the setting in any way detracted from the experience. One of my friends was a participant in this study and feels that in some way the MRI setting was actually positive. It's interesting to note that quite quickly the Imperial team quickly learned that one's prior expectations about the experience seemed to have no obvious effect on the experience. I should also mention that while the IV ROA was novel, I could tell absolutely no difference between this synthetic lab made DMT and plant extracted DMT I've experienced before (just thought I'd mention this in case it might be of interest to some).

PREV1234NEXT