We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Instant precipitation after basifying AANP tea with NaOH? Options

padawan
#1 Posted : 10/22/2018 6:25:30 AM

forever learning

Hey peeps - I was testing something and altered my usual A/B path (vinegar simmer, reduction, CaOH2, naphtha pulls blah blah blah) for the experiment and have three batches of tea (400ml each with equivalent of 100g of AANP in each, ~PH5.5 after filtering, reductions, decanting etc). I made a fairly saturated NaOH solution and added until each batch was PH12.5. Instantly there was precipitation in each batch - just like one might expect in harmala extractions. I've never seen DMT precipitate like this and was expecting to do the usual NP pulls, freeze precip etc. Any thoughts on what it is, or why? I've attached a photo of my control batch that had nothing unusual done to it, and my other batches (activated charcoal and paraffin wax defats) are showing the same thing, but precipitating slower.

Any ideas what's happened here? I'm tempted to chuck it in the separatory funnel, dry it out then manske it for shits and giggles lol

Safe journeys.
padawan attached the following image(s):
IMG_3794_noEXIF.JPG (211kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

KloudQ7
#2 Posted : 10/22/2018 6:49:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure what AANP is so Im not sure what you got going on there. Though once I made a tea so concentrated that as soon as I got the naphtha into a jar the whole thing spontaneously crystalized.

padawan
#3 Posted : 10/22/2018 9:52:17 PM

forever learning

AANP is just acacia accuminata narrow phyllode which should be around 1.0 - 1.3% goodies by weight. I'm going to separate that precipitate today and play around with it to see what it might be.

That's pretty cool about the spontaneous crystallisation - I'm always intrigued by this stuff!

leratiomyces
#4 Posted : 10/23/2018 7:36:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Observing a precipitate when making the solution basic is the usual occurrence in my experience.
As you slowly add base, the following occurs sequentially;
Cream precipitate forms which makes the solution lighter.
Add more base then the solution becomes darker, almost black, to the point where the precipitate is not visible.

So my guess is it's alkaloid, but it could be anything, including the sodium salt of any phenolic species.
I would just continue on as usual.

Let us know how you go.

padawan
#5 Posted : 10/23/2018 8:34:39 AM

forever learning

I'm still none-the-wiser as to what it could be. The NaOH darkened the solutions as expected, but the precipitate started to crash out after I'd finished stirring - it looked exactly like when one saturates a rue extract with Na2CO3. I tried and failed to collect the precipitate - it went straight through one filter (25um I think) and then I tried a coffee filter under vacuum filtration which was a small disaster. Leratiomyces might be right about sodium salt phenols - the other batches in which I was testing paraffin wax and activated charcoal defats (at acid stage) ultimately had less precipitate, and I'd also added a little NaCL post-acidification to all batches.

In the end I just mixed it up and did a naphtha pull. Am curious to see what I get in my naphtha pull and what, if anything, precipitates from the basic solution overnight. If I pulled lots of alks and nothing precipitates then I'll be pretty certain that the freebase dmt crashed out upon basifying, which I reckon would be pretty weird.

leratiomyces
#6 Posted : 10/23/2018 9:50:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Like I said padawan, I don't think it's weird. Perhaps if I let my completely basified (black) solution sit for a while, the precipitate would settle out, like in your photo. But I never wait that long.

Anyway, curious about your yield, please keep us updated as I have several of these trees growing.

On a side note, the analysis thread shows that aanp contains mostly dmt. The phyllodes of my 3 year old plant, when analysed by tlc, show a decent amount of nmt present as well as dmt, although dmt is the major alkaloid. Might be an age thing.....