We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
saving solvent : do less pulls with longer soaking time? Options

just999
#1 Posted : 9/28/2018 6:38:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey Nexus!

I was wondering if I could safe solvent when I let the soap more time for soaking.

I have two extractions here.
1. BLAB A/B tek
2. Q21Q21 Lime / dry tek

1: I let it sit for about 10 days in vinegar. Yesterday I added the lye and now I want to let it soak for about 5-7 days.
2. I let it sit for about 3 days in vinegar and for about 10 days I added the lime.

This is enough time for all the DMT to move out of the bark.
Now I can do all pulls one after another without waiting time between the pulls.

But I am wondering if I also could do less pulls if I use for example 200ml instead of 100ml D-limonene? Maybe only 2 or 3 pulls ?

Hope you can answer this questions or give me other tips for saving solvent Smile

Regards

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

just999
#2 Posted : 10/15/2018 12:59:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

No one can help?

leratiomyces
#3 Posted : 10/15/2018 8:43:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Solubility of dmt in limonene is supposed to be good. So three extractions is appropriate.
Do 3, then continue your work up and check your yield.
If you are unhappy or curious, do a 4th extraction and work it up separately to discover the yield. If it is negligible, then you are done.

If you are after more specific advice then it would be an idea to include more details in what you have done so far, ie. volumes and masses you have used and exact procedure you have followed.

Best of luck

padawan
#4 Posted : 10/15/2018 10:11:52 PM

forever learning

I haven't used limonene yet, but in my experience longer and hotter NP pulls generally result in more fats/oils coming across more so than extra alkaloids. I wouldn't recommend simply using more solvent for each pull - ideally you want saturated pulls. Also, I find that increasing the PH and waiting in-between pulls helps grab the goodies.

You'll lose a little solvent with the dry tek, but your best juncture to save solvent is after the pulls by reducing/avoiding evaps. After you've retrieved the alks from the solvent then save and clean it by running through activated charcoal and re-use.

endlessness
#5 Posted : 10/15/2018 11:25:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Make multiple pulls, at least 3, not just one or two even if longer soak
FAQ entry

If you want to save solvent, just salt it out, and later you can reuse it pretty much indefinitely

karloff
#6 Posted : 10/16/2018 11:02:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have always used limonene for my pulls and I always made exactly 3 pulls. My yield has never been below 1% with MHRB, even after recrystalization with heptane.
What I do is to leave it mixing overnight with a magnetic stirrer, so the pulls are much more efficient. I suspect there would not be much difference if I just made two pulls with this method.

5A8R3
#7 Posted : 10/16/2018 5:06:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I noticed if I leave naptha in contact for longer then I get more yield but higher percent fat. Fast pulls yield be a purer extract

just999
#8 Posted : 10/19/2018 12:25:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you guys for the answers.

I dont use Naptha anymore. Because it is expensive and you always loose alot because of pre evap. and it doesnt pull jungle. So if you use naptha, you always throw away good stuff and money (in my opinion). and because I am pulling jungle / jimjam I dont think much about fats / oils. Because the most of them are psychoactive.

So you guys think that longer soaking time does nothing has to do with the yield at your first pulls?

I agree that using more solvent doesnt has any effect on the yield.

But am I right that you can do one pull after the other. without waiting time? (provided the mix is basified since a week or something)

Yesterday I did the first pull on my BLAB extraction. Today I will do another two pulls. This time with Xylol. We will see.... I try to not loose more than 50-100ml solvent

And yes. I noticed that you get higher yields if you keep steering for a long time. I also bought a magnetic stirrer. But it doesnt work very well. Only for a really small amount of water. And you should do an A/B because it doesnt work if you have to much of bark particles in your mix

pete666
#9 Posted : 10/19/2018 2:28:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So you want to save solvent? To know how much of alkaloids is in the current pull immediately? To get everything out?

Use toluene + HCl titration

No need for saturation, no need for solvent evap. The same solvent used for all pulls and pulling immediately after previous pull.

Requires subsequent basification and extraction with heptane, which is pretty simple.

And btw, I wouldn't say more solvent doesn't have impact onto the yield. It has. It is more optimal to do 3 pulls with 100ml of solvent rather than 1 pull with 300ml of solvent.
But the yield for pulling with 100ml of solvent won't be the same as pulling with 300ml of solvent (not considering saturation here).
Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.