We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alkaloid salts: activated charcoal / paraffin wax defats Options

padawan
#1 Posted : 10/12/2018 3:02:24 AM

forever learning

I know the usual path is a NP rinse on acidic solutions (which I dislike) but I was wondering about the activated charcoal and paraffin wax methods. I already use activated charcoal to clean used naphtha, and intend to try the paraffin wax to defat both mescaline and DMT A/B extractions in the near future.

Just concerned about either method soaking up alkaloid salts trapped amongst the oils/fats. For the paraffin wax I can imagine how the solidified wax can be easily removed, liquified with heat and diluted into fresh hot distilled water and then re-solified/removed so that the water can be basified etc to test if any alks got trapped in the wax. But with activated charcoal, whatever gets trapped in that stuff ain't coming back out again.

Any thoughts, data or experience on whether alkaloid salts get trapped by running a saturated solution through activated charcoal?

I guess using harmala salts & manske's would be a way to compare alkaloid content before and after running through activated charcoal, but hoping someone's done some testing already!

Safe travels. Peace out.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 10/12/2018 8:14:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Paraffin wax (which, incidentally, is a NP solvent when molten Wink ) has been on my to-try list for quite some time, precisely because it will be easy to remove when solid. There are also various different grades of wax with standardised melting points, which may come in useful. I think it would also be pretty nifty for picking up DMT freebase in an extraction. Recovery of DMT could be expedited by finely grating the wax into sufficiently hot acid.

(Sorry there's nothing for me to add about activated charcoal right now!)

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

benzyme
#3 Posted : 10/12/2018 9:04:11 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

depends on the pH.

paraffins are large aliphatics, which engage exclusively in VDW interactions. alkaloids are easily separated at low pH, hence the acidification step.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's the chemistry.

the other option is to exploit physical properties...m.p. (refrig/freeze), molecular weight (centrifugation)
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

padawan
#4 Posted : 10/13/2018 12:21:36 AM

forever learning

Thanks guys - that's actually quite useful info. Looks like I'll be doing some simple tests and posting up the results in the near future! Also, I hadn't even considered using paraffin wax for retrieving the freebase alks.