We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Can I reuse my solvent? Options

iamdave
#1 Posted : 9/25/2018 6:24:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Using 69ron's D-Limonene extraction, after I pour the vinegar off do I need to discard the d-Limonene or can I reuse it for the second wash?
It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms.
--JBS Haldane

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

iamdave
#2 Posted : 9/25/2018 6:40:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, could I reduce and drink the vinegar instead of fully evaporating it? Seems like it would be easier than trying to transfer a wax to gel caps.
It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms.
--JBS Haldane

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 9/25/2018 6:52:10 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

iamdave wrote:
Using 69ron's D-Limonene extraction, after I pour the vinegar off do I need to discard the d-Limonene or can I reuse it for the second wash?

You can re-use the limonene. IMHO it's a good idea to clean it up with a bit of anhydrous sodium carbonate beforehand.

Quote:
Also, could I reduce and drink the vinegar instead of fully evaporating it? Seems like it would be easier than trying to transfer a wax to gel caps.

That's all well and good if you're sure you know the alkaloid content of what you're drinking. And you need to make sure you're not drinking concentrated acetic acid by mistake. Probably better to take your time and do it properly.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

iamdave
#4 Posted : 9/25/2018 8:42:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the input! The vinegar is just regular distilled white vinegar, 5% acetic acid. I occasionally drink it straight for the health benefits so if I could reduce it to a couple ounces that would be no problem for me so long as having vinegar in my stomach along with the rest isn't a problem. I have no idea what the alkaloid content of this concoction is but I'm prepared, even hoping, for a strong trip. I'm not really expecting that though.
--JBS Haldane

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 9/25/2018 10:40:22 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The water evaporates preferentially so the acid will tend towards a higher concentration. After evaporating down fully, it's equally possible to dissolve the waxy acetates in water and drink that (although I do seem to recall drinking non-evaporated cactus vinegar on occasion which was also fine Very happy )

5% acetic acid is plenty strong enough, it wouldn't be nice drinking anything significantly stronger than that.

FWIW, ingesting as much mescaline as possible is a fairly reasonable goal. Taking one's time is prudent in order to mitigate stomach discomfort and/or avoid uncomfortably intense experiences.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

iamdave
#6 Posted : 9/25/2018 11:08:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah, I see. I did not know that. Thank you! I'll have about 150ml of vinegar when it's all done and that's a bit more than I normally like to drink so if the acetate dissolves easily in water I'll work with it that way.

Cheers! Big grin
--JBS Haldane

Chaska
#7 Posted : 10/5/2018 8:17:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

you can but after 3 its clogged w fats IMO and not worth using on fresh substrate
grow plants, make tea, love life

Kash
#8 Posted : 10/31/2018 5:12:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

With solvents you need to take into account everything inside it fighting for 'solubility space'. So it depends on how many other things were pulled already with the previous extraction that are still in the solvent. But it also depends on how soluble the compound of interest is relative to the other soluble compounds. It is percentage based rather than mass.

Swim has reused d-limonene 2 times and had no decreased yield with ron's tek. Then it was distilled and poured back into the jug of fresh stuff. D-limo tek was too pricey for slightly less work IMHO.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.