We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Method to debark and not actually kill a tree... Options

fathomlessness
#1 Posted : 9/29/2018 12:42:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if done in the correct manner being (an incomplete ring) it will just slow nutrient uptake

This is something I stumbled on in the FAQ and did some research on. I think it would be valuable information on here for people who are intent on stripping trees (against good advice of taking only the phyllodes)

Would like to hear some others more experienced chime in on this Drool

fathomlessness attached the following image(s):
yes.jpg (65kb) downloaded 52 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

KloudQ7
#2 Posted : 9/29/2018 7:24:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There are miles of acacia confusa where I live, and from what I've seen if you leave a tree with just a strip like that it will die about half of the time. I've come across large areas where people cut large strips from the trunks of several trees and many of them don't make it. I think having the core exposed to the air can make them sick. What I usually do is just find a good sized root and find a spot where it branches off under ground. Then I'll make a clean cut there and pull/dig it up and bury the wound. None of the trees I have harvested this way have died. Though if you want to be sure not to harm it the phyllodes work fine, about half potency but way easier to get.