We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Can you make these azuries grow?! Options

PerPLexED
#1 Posted : 11/15/2009 2:12:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

PerPLExED was minding his own business and some spores began talking to him. "Do you think we can grow in 60 F(winter) 70-80 regular 90+(summer) weather?!"
Perplexed: I dont know! Let me ask some good buddies. What kind of spores are you?
Spores: We are azurescens spores! We want to grow! Grow us !

Any teks that could help perplexed?
"We are the analogies we believe." - PerPLexED

PerPLexED is a confused fictional creature.
He doesn't know that he is fictional.
He doesn't know what fiction is.
He doesn't know anything, really.
But strives to know it all.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

kyrolima
#2 Posted : 11/15/2009 1:59:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My advice:
Put them into the cellar where the heating is.
elusive illusion

ismokecrystals
#3 Posted : 11/15/2009 5:03:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would suggest going for some p. cubensis first. Azures are notoriously hard to grow for the novice.

Oncewas
#4 Posted : 11/15/2009 5:13:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Alright as promised Plex. I asked some fellow fungi enthusiasts and did some research as I have never grown azurescens.

They grow in the PNW(Pacific North West), I'd imagine this is because it rains there, whereas more towards southern calif it is fairly dry. Though your climate may be disadvantaged I believe it is still very possible for you to grow them.

I would avoid doing an indoor grow however. There has only been a few and very small yielding indoor azure grows that I know of. Not to mention the techniques involved are very questionable and hard to replicate.

What your going to need:
- Azure Print
- Still Air Box
- Syringe(18 gauge as usual)
- Pressure cooker
- Wild Bird Seed
- Hard-wood woodchips(check the pet store or look for grilling woodchips)
- 1 wide-mouth pint jar(with an injection port lid for sterility plenty of teks on how to make these)
- A flower bed outdoors that is pretty shaded
- Patience(these puppies take a long time to grow)
- Empty grow bag

I would start the outdoor bed in a fairly warm season. I am not so sure how the weather patterns are for california but Azures like to fruit in a colder climate. However you can prepare in a warmer time by getting your spawn ready.

Preparing Spawn:
1. Make your spore syringe how you normally would for any other kind of mushroom from a print(if you dunno how there's plenty of teks out there but be VERY sterile).
2. Make a wild bird seed jar(Soak WBS for 12-24 hours, then rinse with water)
3. Sterilize jar in pressure cooker(an hour at 15psi should be fine)
4. Allow jar to cool(don't worry about the bag you won't be using that for a little while)
5. Innoculate jar in a STERILE CLEAN still-air box. Don't bother using the whole syringe or anything, 1 CC should be fine.
6. A day or so before you imagine you will have full colonization of your WBS jar, soak Hard-wood wood-chips in water for 24 hours, then put them in a grow bag.
7. Once the WBS jar reaches full colonization make sure there are NO contaminations. If there is, make a new WBS jar, but if your sterile you wont hafta Pleased. Remember you can NOT save a contaminated jar.
8. Depending on how big you made your grow bag with wood-chips sterilize at 15 psi for maybe 1.5-2 hours. Some people claim wood-chips won't contaminate, but why not take the extra precautions.
9. Allow wood-chips to cool COMPLETELY
10. Transfer grow bag and fully colonized WBS into your still air box.

Wood-spawn:
11. Make sure the air in your still air box is as sterile as humanly possible. It's safe to spray some 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol in the air prior simply because your not going to be using any flame for this part of the procedure.
12. Open grow bag, and open the jar.(pretty much follow Grain To Grain procedure)
13. Quickly pour the whole pint of WBS into the growbag of sterilized wood-chips.
14. Close & seal the grow-bag, and wait for full colonization. This will take a WHILE. So forget about it for seven says at a time and check up on it. Repeat until fully colonized.
15. Once fully colonized, it's time to move this thing outside Very happy.

Azure Pit:
- This might be best to start in a warmer climate and expect to fruit 3-4 months later in a colder one
- Also do not put this in a place where it receives full sun. Fungi do like some radiation/light but they do not like to be cooked! Between big bushes or behind a fence would be adequate.

16. Dig a hole probably 7-8 inches deep, try to make it so the total volume of the whole is 5 times the size of your fully colonized grow-bag and not too much more/less.
17. Lay down an inch of more soaked for 24 hours hard-wood wood-chips.
18. Lay down some fully colonized wood-chips(maybe a 1/3 of the bag)
19. Lay down 2 inches or so of soaked wood-chips.
20. Lay down more fully colonized spawn, repeat until the hole you dug is just about full and all of your spawn is used, but with a layer of uncolonized spawn on top.
21. Put maybe a half inch of vermiculite ontop for stealth and protection from the arid climate
22. Water well. If you see Mycelium crawl on top of your casing layer(vermiculite), then just put some more verm on top.

Like I said before I have never grown azures before, and they aren't native to southern california. But if your going to give it a shot I believe this is your best shot at it. Please if anyone sees anything outrageusly incorrect, correct me Smile.

There is still a lot of research that needs to be done on azures and cultivation, so if you find anything please report back!

nadir
#5 Posted : 11/15/2009 6:12:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

swim tried to grow ps. azurescens first on gelatine media, then on filbert woodchips, but it wasn't successful.
all my posts are random generated and can not be evaluated as distinct ideas

Evening Glory wrote:
This is a medicine, remember, not some video you can watch inside your head.

PerPLexED
#6 Posted : 11/15/2009 7:53:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Mr_DMT wrote:
My advice:
Put them into the cellar where the heating is.

thats not really a tek

Quote:
I would suggest going for some p. cubensis first. Azures are notoriously hard to grow for the novice.
PerpLExED has some experience with growing mushrooms.

Thanks mydria ^^ anyone able to add to the tek any tips/suggestions?
"We are the analogies we believe." - PerPLexED

PerPLexED is a confused fictional creature.
He doesn't know that he is fictional.
He doesn't know what fiction is.
He doesn't know anything, really.
But strives to know it all.

69ron
#7 Posted : 11/15/2009 8:18:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nadir wrote:
swim tried to grow ps. azurescens first on gelatine media, then on filbert woodchips, but it wasn't successful.

SWIM has grown them many times and found them easy to grow as long as they are grown in nature. Attempting to grow them indoors doesn't work well at all. They are difficult to fruit indoors. They have some way of detecting the season that goes beyond temperature changes. When done outdoors they are a snap. They fruit with ease. SWIM tried in doors many times, using temperature changes, humidity changes, light changes, etc., nothing would make them fruit. The same strain fruited outdoors year after year.

I think they are easier to grow than Psilocybe cubensis, if they are grown outdoors using a standard outdoor tech.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.