We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
HPLC analysis of psilocin/psilocybin Options

benzyme
#1 Posted : 6/7/2018 4:25:49 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

*edit 12/29/21.. link deleted, was for an unrelated book*

This procedure was replicated by sonication @ 80W, of a dry gram of p.cubensis aborts in ~50 mL hplc-grade methanol for 10 mins at 25 C , followed by magnetic stirring for 24 hr. The solution was filtered through 0.44 um syringe filters into 1.5 mL autosampler vials. HPLC-UV analysis was conducted isocratically, the mobile phase consisted of 10:90:1 MeOH:H2O:AcOH, at 333 uL/min. @ 25C. Excitation wavelength was 283 nm. The column used was a Phenomenex Kinetex C18 100x2.1mm, 2.6um 100Å.

The implications are clear. This is a potency/purity assay that would be very useful for biotransformation studies.

The bottom chromatogram is an ongoing investigation, as six fractions were collected for further analysis. Separation was done with a ramp gradient from 100% of the aforementioned mobile phase, to 100% of 0.1% Formic acid in Acetonitrile, over the course of 10 mins, holding at the latter mobile phase for the duration.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
IMG_4830.jpg (2,767kb) downloaded 390 time(s).
IMG_4840.jpg (2,312kb) downloaded 351 time(s).
IMG_4848.jpg (3,222kb) downloaded 344 time(s).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 7/27/2018 5:13:51 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

The same mobile phase was used, at 0.3 mL/min. The samples, 0.5g of controls and 0.5g experimental (10mM tryptamine hcl) aborts, were homogenized in 10mL hplc-grade methanol, and centrifuged @ 5000rpm for 5 min. Aliquots of 100uL from each were diluted with 900uL MeOH; 10uL injections were analyzed, 286nm excitation.

the first three are controls, the second three are experimental; notated in area counts. Taking the mean of the counts, the experimental group resulted in 6% increase in psilocybin.
IMG_5143.JPG (329kb) downloaded 329 time(s).
IMG_5145.JPG (113kb) downloaded 329 time(s).
IMG_5147.JPG (145kb) downloaded 330 time(s).
IMG_5144.JPG (590kb) downloaded 329 time(s).
IMG_5146.JPG (142kb) downloaded 327 time(s).
IMG_5148.JPG (154kb) downloaded 330 time(s).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#3 Posted : 7/28/2018 11:28:18 PM

analytical chemist

today 1.5mL aliquots from the stock sol'n were taken, and the result was a 9.125% difference between the respective area counts.

there appears to be a direct correlation to the addition of dopant, and the augmentation of area counts. Further experiments will be conducted with 15mM tryptamine hcl.

Nitegazer
#4 Posted : 9/14/2018 3:02:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Benzyme--

You are in waters way beyond my depth, but I may have bumped into a paper that would be germane to your work. "Determination of Psilocybin and Psilocin in Hallucinogenic Mushrooms by HPLC with Diode Array and MS Detection"(2008 )

Here is a link to the article, and I'll try to attach it below.

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhod...and-MS-Detection1b3b.pdf

I've been trying to untangle the myths around the lemon tek, and am amazed at how little is known about the quantities of psilocin and psilocybin in the mushroom or dephosphorylation of psilocybin to psilocin.

Hope this is at least a bit helpful. I greatly appreciate your work.

benzyme
#5 Posted : 9/14/2018 3:16:17 PM

analytical chemist

thank you, sir. Big grin

benzyme
#6 Posted : 9/17/2018 2:04:50 PM

analytical chemist

after doing some reading, I discovered that the small peak that co-elutes with the large peak is baeocystin.

Myco
#7 Posted : 9/21/2018 8:10:01 PM

73μ

Thank-you for your work Benzyme.
arrive without traveling.

benzyme
#8 Posted : 9/21/2018 11:53:28 PM

analytical chemist

You're most welcome. It's what I do when I'm not 'at work'.

Loveall
#9 Posted : 9/29/2018 9:36:24 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

What about psiclocin content? Gartz found a huge boost to psiclocin content when he doped with 25mM of tryptamine HCl.

I love this work by the way. Thank you for doing it benzyme.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

benzyme
#10 Posted : 9/30/2018 12:27:42 AM

analytical chemist

I didn't do the math, but the second peak is psilocin, and there is an increase in counts. It's only 10mM supplementation.

Loveall
#11 Posted : 9/30/2018 7:30:59 PM

❤️‍🔥

Right, it's just interesting that at 25mM a very large psiclocin increase was seen back in 1989.

benzyme
#12 Posted : 12/29/2021 4:39:25 PM

analytical chemist

Back to roost, with a more sensitive detector (fluorescence detector) and fancier software.
Attached is a typical HPLC chromatogram of dried psilocybe sample in methanol, fluorescence detection, and a 3D contour plot, Emission scan (wavelength vs. time vs. intensity (counts)).

What stands out to me is the second smaller peak has a larger emission lambda max (434.75 nm), which is where the cursor line on the right is positioned . The primary peak's lambda max is notated. This tells me there is a greater degree of pi-bond conjugation in that secondary peak.

I just posted a paper in the science section, which elucidated that beta-carbolines are present in psilocybe spp. That's not likely what this peak is (possibly baeocystin).
psilo MeOH extract.jpg (126kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
psilo MeOH extract 3D plot.jpg (170kb) downloaded 113 time(s).

Loveall
#13 Posted : 12/29/2021 5:32:19 PM

❤️‍🔥

Speaking out of ignorance: Do you think pi bonding helps psilocin molecules come closer and begin oxidation at higher (but moderate) pH ~ pI? Asking, because if yes, adding a salt with K+ may help disrupt the process in water and help the poor yields in ongoing experimental kitchen test extractions. Of course, one can always just try, but wondering what you think.

benzyme
#14 Posted : 12/29/2021 5:40:04 PM

analytical chemist

that's a reasonable postulation; I don't know for certain, I just know that hydrogen on the hydroxy gets plucked off around a pH of 9, leaving O-, which is particularly unstable.

benzyme
#15 Posted : 12/29/2021 5:42:38 PM

analytical chemist

a colleague is going to investigate liposomal formulations; it would make sense to incorporate dilute ascorbic acid in the formulation.

Psilo research will be my particular focus, and I may collab with said colleague, who also has instrumentation.

PanaeolusSequence
#16 Posted : 3/12/2022 4:57:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looking to hear more about this