We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Separation of harmane and harmine? Options

Elrik
#1 Posted : 8/21/2018 11:07:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its almost time to extract more harmalas and I'm curious if any practical method has been devised for removal of harmane from harmine?
By practical I mean not flash chromatography or vacuum sublimation Wink
They seem to have nearly identical pKa's, from the literature it seems harmane•HCl will 'manske' out with excess chloride ions the way harmine•HCl does, I'm not seeing any clear indication of harmanes solubility in toluene but it will crystallize from hot heptane. Its listed as soluble to the extent of 50 mg/ml in methanol, that might be a clue.
I'd like to try harmane-free harmine, but my only viable ß-carboline source is P. harmala.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 8/23/2018 9:03:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Preparative TLC might be an option.

After running a small sample to see whether there's any significant amount of harmane present and find out the Rf of harmine versus harmane under those conditions. Obviously your choice of mobile phase will have to be determined carefully. The experiment then can be repeated with a whopping great sheet of blotting paper, er, much larger width of stationary (stationery Big grin ) phase and the appropriate band, as per the determined Rf, cut out and re-extracted.

How's that sound? I don't think it's very practical for large-scale work, but it might suffice on a per-dose basis.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

endlessness
#3 Posted : 8/24/2018 6:57:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't think you have to worry about, I've tested several peganum harmala extracts and never found any harmane...

Here's a related thread:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=882889#post882889

btw, where did you see the info about harmane precipitating in manske ?

Elrik
#4 Posted : 8/24/2018 8:57:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thats good to hear about your analyses. Smile

I inferred the manske thing from an entry in the merck index, eighth edition:
Harman Hydrochloride... rosettes of needles from ethanol + 20% HCl in water
It sounds like they were using HCl to reduce solubility and help it crystallize out just as happens with harmine•HCl and HCl [or NaCl].

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 8/25/2018 3:04:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
Harman Hydrochloride... rosettes of needles from ethanol + 20% HCl in water
It sounds like they were using HCl to reduce solubility and help it crystallize out just as happens with harmine•HCl and HCl [or NaCl].

Sounds to me more like they were utilising the difference solubility of harmane freebase and harmane HCl in ethanol, maybe bolstered by the common-ion effect from any extra HCL. Probably cooling of the hot ethanol was used as well.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Elrik
#6 Posted : 8/25/2018 10:53:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I considered that possibility, thats why I said I inferred it.
However, when a chemical reference book is talking about crystallization they are almost invariably talking about solvent effects on an unaltered compound, not the synthesis of a new compound. They know this is what people expect so if they deviate from that they generally say so.
Put harmine•HCl in water and dump in a mix of ethanol and 20% HCl and you'll get crystals, no doubt. Harmane is chemically very close to harmine so the mercks protocol didnt surprise me.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 8/27/2018 9:25:42 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Both/and Wink

Your post may well turn out to be rather useful. I have syrian rue tea with 20% ethanol. I'll dump in some HCl and see what crashes out.