We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Liberty Caps? Options

Elpo
#21 Posted : 7/16/2013 9:58:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Randomness wrote:

I would not like to say about worldwide but I have read that in the uk only pilosibin containing mushrooms will leave a purple print.

I will try and find a reference but I believe it to be true. The blue bruse in conjunction with spore print is supposed to be how a lot of different species were identified. The mycelium also bruses blue this colour is the actives oxidising.

Thanks a lot, would like to see the reference of that. Do you have any idea if this holds for the rest of Europe?
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

LibertyforAll
#22 Posted : 7/17/2013 3:37:56 AM

Claro in Vitam

I can tell you with certainty, sorry but they aren't
Also, I'm ALMOST 100% sure that a blue bruising, purple printing mushroom is a psilocybe.
With that said, not all psilocybes even bruise blue and spore prints are hard to tell the color of honestly.
It's a risky game, fun and worth it because of that though.
Once in my earlier days I mistook a bushel of poisonous boletes for a gymnopilus species, realizing later they weren't at all gymnopilus of any kind and were clearly boletes Razz

With that said, after seeing enough of one mushroom you learn what is and isn't what you're looking for.
Good luck and don't give up and don't mess up Big grin
I believe in freedom for everyone.
'movies are for people who lack real drugs.' -anne halonium

Randomness
#23 Posted : 7/17/2013 8:28:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote from the enciclopedia of psychoactive plants page 629

I know parts of this book are not 100 percent accurate but I believe this to be true I have read the same information in other publications but can not find references at the mo.

"In order to avoid such mistakes, it is advisable to prepare a spore print when an identification is in doubt. Every mushroom that produces a brown-violet spore print and whose stem turns blue when squee/.ed is a psilocybin containing mushroom of the genus Psilocybe or Panaeolus.

However, the blueing discoloration alone is not a sure sign of mushrooms of the genus Psilocybe or Panaeolus (cf. Stamets 1996**). The possibility of mistaken identity is especially acute with species from the genus Galerina, all of which, however, produce an orange-colored spore print (cf. Galerina steglichii)."

Jellyfox
#24 Posted : 7/17/2013 8:35:57 AM

were off to see the jelly fox, he'll give us what we need.

those look like Mycenas.

Elpo
#25 Posted : 7/17/2013 11:23:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Randomness wrote:
Quote from the enciclopedia of psychoactive plants page 629

I know parts of this book are not 100 percent accurate but I believe this to be true I have read the same information in other publications but can not find references at the mo.

"In order to avoid such mistakes, it is advisable to prepare a spore print when an identification is in doubt. Every mushroom that produces a brown-violet spore print and whose stem turns blue when squee/.ed is a psilocybin containing mushroom of the genus Psilocybe or Panaeolus.

However, the blueing discoloration alone is not a sure sign of mushrooms of the genus Psilocybe or Panaeolus (cf. Stamets 1996**). The possibility of mistaken identity is especially acute with species from the genus Galerina, all of which, however, produce an orange-colored spore print (cf. Galerina steglichii)."

That is great! Thanks a lot. I have just ordered the book: "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide" Probably it will aid me further in my search.
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

goodnessgracious
#26 Posted : 7/17/2013 11:25:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I never mentioned Europe just the UK - i grew up in the countryside and there are no poisenous shrooms that grow in fields that look like L Caps i.e like the pic posted and only a tiny handful that are harmful ( all look nothing like L Caps).

Randomness
#27 Posted : 7/17/2013 1:16:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

goodnessgracious wrote:
I never mentioned Europe just the UK - i grew up in the countryside and there are no poisenous shrooms that grow in fields that look like L Caps i.e like the pic posted and only a tiny handful that are harmful ( all look nothing like L Caps).

I have to agree there are only a few lookalikes for liberties in the uk that grow in the right places to get confused. The most common I see are the ones in the bowl in the first pic. These to the trained eye look nothing like libertys but I have seen people mix them up.

I would not risk hunting for edibles in the woods as I believe this requires a lot more knowledge than i posess. I would not like to speculate about lookalikes worldwide as I have only experience in the uk.

When I was a kid I spent ages trying to work out what they looked like. I had no Internet and a little book I stole from the school library with a hand drawn pic. I had two futile seasons and no one I knew could help. Eventually when I did find some I must have had the equivalent of at least 1/2 oz dry shrooms I was eating handfuls I had a breakthrough off them and have never managed this since even from subsequent 1/2 oz type amounts.

Shrooms are the uk's best psycadelic blessing good luck with your quest. It will be worth it. :-)

pierre2008
#28 Posted : 9/25/2013 12:30:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Gentlemen, I hope this is not to far off course but can someone
explain the difference in trip/effects between cubensis and a liberty cap?
I have only worked with the cubensis mushroom.

Sykosis, Great explanation!
How do I make a syringe from the spore print?

Sykosis wrote:
I've found over my many years of shroom growing the best way to make a viable spore print you can store for years is this.

Go out and buy some gaze bandages, I like 4"x 4" but it really depends on the size of the mushroom cap.

Now, while wearing gloves as sterility is key to keeping a viable print. Remove the gaze and keep the the sterile waxed paper it came in.

Using the inner waxed side of the paper, place it on a flat clean surface. Put your desired mushroom cap on the paper and place a glass over this. We want the humidity to rise to encourage the cap to drop more spores.

Leave the glass over the cap for a few hours. Then remove the glass, the cap while being careful not to disturb your work to much.

You now have a sterile spore print that can be used right away or stored for many years.

To store your print take the top half of the bandage paper place it waxed side down on the printed side of the other paper. Use scotch tape to seal the edges then place in a emptied and sterilized film canister seal this with electrical tape and put in the fridge.

If anyone wants me to explain how to make a syringe from that print, just ask.

Hope it helps.

Tara123
#29 Posted : 8/25/2018 12:19:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I DON'T intend to eat these, but I am just wondering...do any look like liberty caps to you guys?

I'm looking at lots of pictures online and trying to figure out what to look out for before I go on some popper hunting trips in a few weeks with some friends (we're just about to enter autumn in the UK Big grin ).

I'm just trying to get a feel for it at the moment - learning what to look for etc.

I know it's impossible to guarantee from a picture, but if anyone has a trained eye and thinks I might have any here I'd love to know.

Thanks xx
Tara123 attached the following image(s):
mushroomselection25.8.18.jpg (1,995kb) downloaded 58 time(s).

DansMaTete
#30 Posted : 8/25/2018 3:28:05 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Nope,they are not liberty caps.

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

downwardsfromzero
#31 Posted : 8/25/2018 4:04:53 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Tara123 - they are mostly Panaeolina foenisecii - Haymaker's mushrooms. Fifth from left is an inactive Psilocybe sp. and looks like it's been extensively munched by maggots. Next to it on the right is a Coprinus plicatilis and on the end is another Haymaker's.

There are several other much closer lookalikes in the UK that you ought to be aware of. Certain species of Conocybe, which are implicated in allergic/hypersensitivity reactions and one of which can be deadly poisonous, and a Cortinarius species which is the closest lookalike I ever found. Many species of Cortinarius are poisonous, some deadly. Here are some Liberty cap lookalike Cortinarius specimens, pic attached.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
Image1271.jpg (615kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Image1274.jpg (620kb) downloaded 43 time(s).

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

downwardsfromzero
#32 Posted : 8/25/2018 4:32:33 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Note that none of the above pictured mushrooms are Liberty caps. They are a species of Cortinarius and in all probability poisonous. Maybe even deadly.

Basically, do not be fooled in your enthusiasm.

Attached here is a broad selection of the usual forms of Psilocybe semilanceata.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
IMG_0960ed.jpg (166kb) downloaded 40 time(s).

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Tara123
#33 Posted : 8/25/2018 8:33:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DansMaTete and downwardsfromzero thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate it Thumbs up Love

PREV12