We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Phalaris freeze-precipitated crystals disappearing Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 8/18/2018 7:44:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm doing my first ever Phalaris extraction. The source material is 123g of fresh, outdoor grown P. aquatica AQ-1.

I'm using naphtha as the solvent. The solvent was previously used in a MHRB extraction, so may have contained residual DMT.

The first freeze precipitation resulted in white crystals, which looked like around 80mg. However, after taking it out of the freezer and setting up a fan to blow on it at room temperature, the crystals disappeared (dissolved?). Is there an easy way to bring them back to crystal form? If I put the dish back in the freezer, will they recrystallize?

With my MHRB extraction it never happened, or not to the same extent. There were always some crystals to scrape off.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jamie
#2 Posted : 8/18/2018 9:06:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

You may have extracted plant salts. I have seen this many times with grass. In my experience,freeze precip and other common popular methods ppl use for barks do not work well for grasses. I am not entirely sure why, so can't say it wont work, but generally I find that grasses need longer teks that require more labor/steps..

I suggest you might also try extracting with alcohol, and use naphtha for defats.

Expect more than just DMT.

80 mg from 12ish grams dry is way too much IME. I am skeptical of 1% claims etc, but I am still open to it. .1% would be good for how much grass I can grow.

Ive mixed all my aquatica and arundinacea harvests this year from my garden simply because I want the largest bulk of grass to begin with, which makes extracting it easier, easier to get more alkaloids removed from oils etc.

I would say forget cleaaning it..you risk loosing it all. Instead, just vape some. I am confident suggesting this because I have smoked extracts now from arund and aquatica enough to feel it is safe. You can vape some into the air and smell it too. It should smell like indole strongly if it's good. This never fails for me. If I can smell it or feel it in a bioassay then I know at least something is there to follow up on.

Good luck!

BUT!!!! Start with clean solvent. I would suspect you precipated mimosa DMT as well, rendering the data you obtain murky.

I say forget what you know about DMT from mimosa..including appearance. DMT is polymorphic, and Im not so sure I believe DMT is DMT is DMT anyway. I know what grasses have other stuff and aquatica strains I can always feel 5meoDMTish effects. The extract is always somewhat diff in appearance to mimosa extract. The smell of indole in the vapor is telling. It usually is somewhat sweeter of in indole smell vs mimosa.
Long live the unwoke.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 8/18/2018 9:37:31 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ice (frozen water) is also whitish crystals that disappear when left by a fan at room temp.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jagube
#4 Posted : 8/19/2018 12:45:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys.

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Ice (frozen water) is also whitish crystals that disappear when left by a fan at room temp.

I can't think of a way water would have gotten in there. The crystals looked like DMT crystals (mould-like spots) and it smelled like DMT.

jamie wrote:
You may have extracted plant salts. I have seen this many times with grass. In my experience,freeze precip and other common popular methods ppl use for barks do not work well for grasses.

Wouldn't any salts have converted to freebase at pH > 12?

jamie wrote:
80 mg from 12ish grams dry is way too much IME. I am skeptical of 1% claims etc, but I am still open to it. .1% would be good for how much grass I can grow.

I don't know if you've worked with AQ1, but this is said to have 1% alkaloids and a very clean DMT profile, with negligible (if any) gramine, hordenine and no 5-MeO that I'm aware of. The person I got the rhizomes from confirmed having obtained high yields and showed me a photo of his freeze-precipitated crystals. So I had assumed I could treat it like MHRB and naphtha with freeze precipitation was the most obvious technique to follow. Admittedly I didn't take into account the fats, oils etc.

jamie wrote:
I would say forget cleaaning it..you risk loosing it all. Instead, just vape some. I am confident suggesting this because I have smoked extracts now from arund and aquatica enough to feel it is safe. You can vape some into the air and smell it too. It should smell like indole strongly if it's good.

I'm new to DMT extractions, this is my 2nd, the first one was MHRB. So I'm not familiar yet with the more involved teks and since my main interest is oral use (to develop a temperate climate Aya analogue), I don't strive for high purity. I'd be happy to drink crude Phalaris tea if it was palatable and easy on my stomach, but when I attempted it, it gave me stomach pain, despite my having an iron stomach and gulping down all kinds of botanical concoctions without a hint of nausea. Other than that, I definitely felt the DMT and it was actually nicer than the other admixtures - gentle, loving, flowing and rounded.
My motivation for the extraction is to remove the stomach discomfort, and I'd like to keep it as simple as can be while still achieving that goal.

I've never smoked or vaped any tryptamines or changa, but it's starting to pique my curiosity, so I might look into that. I'd have to do a lot of reading up and obtain the gear.

For now, I guess the disappearance of crystals is not so much a problem, as long as I can collect the yield and put it in a container.

After putting the dish back in the freezer (without naphtha), this is what I got (upon removing it from the freezer, it turned into a cloudy liquid again). The orange/red smears may be leftovers from the MHRB. I then dried it with heat, and the result was a transparent residue with a floral scent. After scraping, it looks more orange.

I realize it would have been better to use clean solvent, it's just that I didn't mean this as much of a scientific endeavour as AQ1 had already been researched, including GC-MS analysis.

But it's all the beginning of an exciting journey, who knows where it will lead.
Jagube attached the following image(s):
phala.jpg (928kb) downloaded 72 time(s).