We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Drying isopropyl alcohol with magnesium sulfate Options

w0mbat
#1 Posted : 11/10/2009 9:48:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have seen this idea tossed around a bit but do not know if it produces pure IPA from an IPA/water mix, or if it even works at all. Has anyone tried it?

Does anyone know if magnesium sulfate is soluble in IPA?

All I know is that jorkest seemed to be able to dry an ethanol/water mix with magnesium sulfate.
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 11/10/2009 10:02:52 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

w0mbat wrote:
I have seen this idea tossed around a bit but do not know if it produces pure IPA from an IPA/water mix, or if it even works at all. Has anyone tried it?

Does anyone know if magnesium sulfate is soluble in IPA?

All I know is that jorkest seemed to be able to dry an ethanol/water mix with magnesium sulfate.

It works perfectly. Magnesium sulfate is not soluble in IPA. And theoretically you can get totally anhydrous IPA if one goes the magnesium sulfate route.

Just note that anhydrous magnesium sulfate absorbs roughly its own weight in water. So if you have 1 litre of, sat 90% IPA then it is going to contain roughly 100ml/g of water therefore 100g of magnesium sulfate will do the trick!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#3 Posted : 11/10/2009 10:13:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron also mentioned one can dry IPA with sodium carbonate (which is much cheaper than magnesium sulfate here at least)..... sodium carbonate is not soluble in IPA but it is in water, so if one mixes sodium carbonate with iso, a bottom layer of sodium carbonate water will form, so decant the top iso layer.. repeat this until carbonate stays 'dry' in the bottom without forming any layer or looking wet