We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV3456NEXT
TLC Kits are out - link here! Options

JAi
#81 Posted : 5/26/2017 7:10:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've seen this post, I'm a fan.

Yeah I was thinking of spending 30$ on some local TLC kit, what is the benefit for me buying this one for use with iboga alkaloids and 5-MeO-DMT?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#82 Posted : 5/26/2017 10:27:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can use this calculator: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=71113

it will help you out even if you dont have the substance of interest. You can find another substance you have access to and use that to help finding where 5-meo-dmt is.. You can use for example caffeine which can be easily purchased legally, or something else in that list that you might have at hand.

As for ibogaine, we havent yet added to that calculator, but it would be easy enough to do so once someone can do an iboga extraction that has ibogaine and confirm their results with gc/lc-ms (I've made a still-standing offer to freely test people's extractions in a lab), and then all it would take is this person to do a few runs in a tlc with the confirmed substance versus another like caffeine, and add the results to the github calculator. If you can do that, that would be awesome.

And yes, do get a tlc kit.

by the way this friend from poland has a shop selling cheap reagents here: https://shop.sin.org.pl/store/?lang=en , he will also start selling tlc kits this summer.

Justintime
#83 Posted : 3/6/2018 12:14:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

WOW I downloaded the app from google play its called bunkleaks just type it in search on Google play. The app has links to all the videos and connects you to ordering Smile
.....Your....head...is..in.your(head0daeh)ruoy.ni..si...deah....ruoY.....

mremoo
#84 Posted : 8/1/2018 11:07:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If swim was to purchase the 30 TLC Kit & Three Spot Test Kits would swim be able to test plant material such as phyllodes & bark for tryptamines with the ehrlich spot test then with the TLC kit identify what tryptamines they would be?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

jerkjake
#85 Posted : 8/17/2018 2:51:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

my TLC kit just came in (Mecke, Ehrlrich, and Marqouis).
in order to spot test the Phalaris B. and Phalaris A. , can i use raw blade samples? or do i need to do a miniA/B?
having a hard time finding info.

i also wanted to test mushrooms.

ty

jerkjake
#86 Posted : 8/17/2018 3:05:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nevermind. i found Raphs video

endlessness
#87 Posted : 8/17/2018 11:29:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mremoo wrote:
If swim was to purchase the 30 TLC Kit & Three Spot Test Kits would swim be able to test plant material such as phyllodes & bark for tryptamines with the ehrlich spot test then with the TLC kit identify what tryptamines they would be?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Yes mremoo, you could do TLC which will give you good information on the content, will help you find if it has the tryptamines of interest. It works specially well if you have a plant known to have the tryptamine of interest like DMT (or some extracted DMT) to compare with your unknown plants side-by-side, that way the results are more reliable. If you dont, there are other ways but its a bit more complex and not as reliable.

Let me know if you have any further questions

By the way I urge anybody that has bought the TLC kits to please let us know here in this thread or in some other thread in the forum how your experience is, if its working good for you, if there are any issues, as well as what results you had from your tests. All this info is super valuable if we all share amongst each other (and hopefully at some point in the not so distant future we will build a database with user's results)

jerkjake wrote:
my TLC kit just came in (Mecke, Ehrlrich, and Marqouis).
in order to spot test the Phalaris B. and Phalaris A. , can i use raw blade samples? or do i need to do a miniA/B?
having a hard time finding info.

i also wanted to test mushrooms.

ty

Mini a/b works the best, but if thats not possible you can play around with just soaking the material in the eluent that comes with the kit, you might already get some good clues, though I haven't done this test myself with phalaris to know how well the spot visualization is with such crude soak. With mimosa ive tested and worked well, grass might be more 'dirty'. Would be nice if you'd share your results if you do test.

You should be able to see some spots for mushrooms, Ive done some preliminary tests but would be ideal if you could test some known psilocybe mushrooms vs whatever mushroom you are not sure about, side by side. Let us know how it goes

pinkoyd
#88 Posted : 8/18/2018 4:20:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

Since you asked...

My experience with the TLC kits has been very positive. I actually used up the first one and ordered a second. The newer one has the color change booklets along with the three reagents, a big improvement over the older kit.

The only suggestions I have are to include somewhere in the instructions WHY you stick the gauze pad on the inside of the chamber. Also a warning not to store the eluent in the developing chamber. My first one got destroyed by keeping eluent in it.

I highly recommend these kits. They help cement your reputation as a drug science geek amongst your friends. Big grin
I already asked Alice.

Incarnation
#89 Posted : 8/23/2018 9:12:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Can we tell anything from this?
And what would be the simplest extraction route to isolate the beta carbolines from leaf material for TLC prep?

On this plate, there is a Peganum harmala seed spot in the center. 5 other spots, as indicated, are various plant parts of Passiflora incarnata. (seed, rind, rootbark, leaf, stem)

All samples here were prepared by soaking less than 0.5g plant material in 70% IPA.

Incarnation attached the following image(s):
4F960D06-8E63-4487-8495-9F58F066B92B.png (499kb) downloaded 211 time(s).
D8CA6E8C-A1F0-47BA-B640-1BD27A1779F4.png (6,644kb) downloaded 210 time(s).

endlessness
#90 Posted : 8/24/2018 7:00:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It does not seem like your Passiflora contains harmine nor harmaline, or if so in extremely small amounts. Notice by the way that neither of the other lanes contain the blue shine, which is the giveaway for harmine/harmaline.

You can try concentrating more the passiflora samples and then testing again to see if you can see any of the blue shine, but it doesnt seem promissing so far.

Incarnation
#91 Posted : 9/6/2018 1:00:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I ran a couple plates on Acacia floribunda.
Having read about variation in this species, I obtained seed from 5 distinct separate populations.

First, I tested twigs+phyllodes from 6 month old plants and got no visible spotting. (not pictured)
Here, as pictured, I tested seeds of these 5 A. floribunda populations, and all show the same two faint spots (see arrows).
55E92FAC-5575-43E5-A11B-6D5A3FC94E87.png (1,458kb) downloaded 190 time(s).

endlessness
#92 Posted : 9/6/2018 8:35:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Incarnation.. Do you have any known DMT-containing plant or a dmt extract to compare? That makes it easier to interpret the results. Or at least any other known substance of the hundreds you can see in the TLC calculator (which is now incorporated in this app a friend from Poland made )

And/or, do you have ehrlich or other relevant reagents to put on the spots to help further identify the compounds we see?

Without at least one of these, it's hard to interpret the results.. All we can see there is that there are 2 or 3 substances in it (the top streak with no arrow pointed ime is usually some inactive plant compound, fatty acid or chlorophyll)

Incarnation
#93 Posted : 9/6/2018 2:31:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I actually just decided to compare the seeds on the off chance that it might indicate some variation among the different floribunda collections.

I’ll be running more plates in the future, using plant material as the trees grow older. No reagents just yet, but I do have other known plants I can use as a reference standard.

Even when it doesn’t really add any new info, I often just go ahead and post the TLC plates I’ve done so that others can see how easy and revealing the method can be.

endlessness
#94 Posted : 9/6/2018 10:24:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing the results either way, and please do share more tests you make Smile

Incarnation
#95 Posted : 11/2/2018 12:00:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I ran a plate comparing Phalaris AQ-1 to ACRB.
The Acacia was a crude soak, but you can make out the dmt and nmt spots.
The AQ-1 had a matching dmt spot, but then another spot that’s between dmt and nmt in height.
From past analysis, can we guess what that spot might be? hordenine maybe?

And before you ask endlessness, nope, still haven’t picked up any reagents yet. 😉

Something learned from this run...
The far left sample was a crude soak of AQ-1, which did not yield visible spots.
The AQ1 labeled sample was a quick STB of 3g dry, spotted directly with minimal Naphtha.

A4AF7CAD-0B9F-4D6E-A0B5-A43895E731A6.png (1,828kb) downloaded 156 time(s).

endlessness
#96 Posted : 11/2/2018 4:15:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seems the solvent line didn't raise well, since everything is a bit shifted sideways.. You can still see it all but try to be careful when putting the plate in the developing chamber so that the solvent line rises evenly.

I'd have to check beck the previous analysis regarding that spot between dmt and nmt, not sure off the top of my head. Either way yeah, definitely do get some reagents Smile

As for the crude soak, you can still see there is some faint spots there but yeah the resolution is definitely not good.

Please do post more tests you do, and thanks for sharing this! Be well!

der-seemann
#97 Posted : 12/10/2020 2:54:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I run a TLC on my Harmala extracts today.
As mobile phase I used :
40 ml Ethanol 96% and 4 ml Ammonia 9%

It didn't separate very nice. Any advice how to get a better result?

During the progress i saw some bright spots that dissapeared once i dried the plate. See Pic 1. Why?

from left to right: DHH HCl, DHH FB, crude (current extract), Harmine HCL, Harmine FB, DMT

The pics show:

UVA, still in progress, camera 1
UVC just afer drying, camera 1
UVA just afer drying, camera 1
UVC aprox 1 h after drying, camera 2
UVA aprox 1 h after drying, camera 2
der-seemann attached the following image(s):
t0_a.png (476kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
t1_a.jpg (374kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
t1_c.png (728kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
t2_a.jpg (240kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
t2_c.jpg (207kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

endlessness
#98 Posted : 12/10/2020 8:50:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The eluent you used clearly works, a lot can be learned from your tests (more on that in a moment).

Nevertheless, eluents which contain too much water tend to be more "messy".. Also, lack of ammonia normally induces more of that trailing/streaking effect. If you could find some more concentrated ammonia, that would probably help a lot. Also, I find substituting ethanol for methanol works much better (so ideally 97.5ml methanol and 2.5ml 25% ammonia for 100ml eluent). Methanol has the health risks involved so make sure you dont breathe in the vapors, work in a well ventilated area. If you can't get that, then you can continue using your eluent, even though not ideal you can already see a lot.

So here's what I see in your plates:

The dark blue spots on top are harmine. This means your supposed harmaline still has a lot of harmine.

The lighter blue is harmine.. Its streaking a lot which makes it hard to see spots below it but you can see in the first pics that there are some yellowish spots just below harmaline, that is very likely a small amount of THH there.

Your third lane is way too concentrated, which makes it hard to see the spots separately. Dilute it till a third of concentration or less and try running it again, but it seems to also have a bunch of harmine, harmaline and some thh too.

Your harmine extracts still have some harmaline, as you can see the light blue spot below, though obviously they are more concentrated harmine while your supposed harmaline have more harmaline and less harmine.. But if you want them to be more pure gotta separate them better.

You can see this thread for reference on how harmalas show up on TLC. Also you can use this thread for reference, it has a LOT of linked info on testing different substances, how to interpret results, etc.

Lastly, as for your DMT, what is the source, if I may ask? Its interesting because you can clearly see the DMT spot (the darker one) , and a tiny NMT spot there too (the bottom one). But the more interesting part is a seemingly beta-carboline-like shine on top of the DMT. Is it possible you had some cross-contamination with the harmine samples?

Anyways thanks for sharing, feel free to ask any questions.

Be well!

der-seemann wrote:
I run a TLC on my Harmala extracts today.
As mobile phase I used :
40 ml Ethanol 96% and 4 ml Ammonia 9%

It didn't separate very nice. Any advice how to get a better result?

During the progress i saw some bright spots that dissapeared once i dried the plate. See Pic 1. Why?

from left to right: DHH HCl, DHH FB, crude (current extract), Harmine HCL, Harmine FB, DMT

The pics show:

UVA, still in progress, camera 1
UVC just afer drying, camera 1
UVA just afer drying, camera 1
UVC aprox 1 h after drying, camera 2
UVA aprox 1 h after drying, camera 2

der-seemann
#99 Posted : 12/11/2020 8:19:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thx Endlessness for the reply!

So after reflecting on the results i came to the following conclusions:

Too much substance! all the harmalas are way too concentrated.

for the sample 1,2,4 and 5 i took a few mg solid sample, a few drops of the eluent and then made the sample spot with a capillary tube. Not all solids had dissolved, so tiny crystals got there too... maybe it took too long during development for all solids to dissolve and start moving.

Sample 3 was taken from a pretty concentrated acetic acid solution. This sample didn't had that trail (because it was well dissolved in the acetic acid), but well, way too concentrated anyway.

So next time:
make a defined solution like 5mg in 1 ml diluted acetic acid for spot preparation. Take only just enough of that solution to see the spot clearly under UVA.

The DMT was extracted 3 years ago from MHRB. The contamination probably came during preparation of the plate. These harmalas are everywhere - with UVA light the whole place and my hands are shining brightly Laughing

About the eluent:
Methanol is hard to get here. I read about acetone:ethanol in one thread. might that be an option too?

BTW: can i use the spot height calculator .xls with any eluent? I tried to interpret my plate with the calculator but the results made no sense at all...

endlessness
#100 Posted : 12/11/2020 3:04:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah playing around with concentrations is a good idea. Sometimes it is an advantage to also have a large concentration test because you might be able to see some other compound that is in lesser amount and is hard to see in low concentrations.. But its also good to make it more diluted so that you dont have large spots and co-eluting substances masking other substances because of how large they are.

As for the height calculator, no those calculations were only made for the methanol:ammonia eluent unfortunately.

«PREV3456NEXT