CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
The "War on Morality" Options

woody
#21 Posted : 7/30/2018 10:16:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting thread. The whole P.C debate has been going on for a while in the UK but recently I have had to stop reading certain publications because it seems that on a daily basis there are several articles about offended people, or most perniciously people who take offence on behalf of other people before they have even had the chance to be offended. Which is even more offensive Wut?
But it can have its place with regards to members of society who have been denied rights, or discriminated against in serious ways because of race, sexual orientation, gender etc. But for me it's about giving every one the same opportunities, not special treatment. None of us have the right to not be offended, it's a very slippery slope.

Northerner wrote:

Trump. Just the fact that a surname can be a sentence is a tribute to what I am talking about. I know I am not the only person who realises the massive manipulation and character assassination that the media is attempting against this bloke.

True, but I think he assassinates his own character via his Twitter feed Laughing

Northerner wrote:

If I call a black person a "black bastard", and he really is a bastard it's a statement of fact. It's not racism.

This is always going to be about the intent behind it though isn't it? If a person uses black as an insult because they think its a negative attribute then it's racist. If you say it it's not racist, but it will be perceived that way by the majority of people if they don't know your personal views that well.

hug46
#22 Posted : 8/4/2018 1:18:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

be safe

my music

Northerner
#23 Posted : 8/4/2018 3:06:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

trigger and language warning. Laughing

The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Simply_Me
#24 Posted : 8/5/2018 12:41:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hug46 and Northerner, Thank you very much for videos, both great.
I realize that no one book, one person, or even one ideology will have all the answers. I believe my job is to remain open yet discriminating. My intuition helps me discern truth, and wisdom helps me identify malicious intentions. Our friends in hyperspace have laughed and asked me why I keep looking outside for what exists within.

Orion
#25 Posted : 8/5/2018 6:03:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When I first joined this forum I was much more of an idealist and would have identified with being left-wing. Now that term leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. More politicians, media organizations and entertainment companies continue to use sexism to fight sexism, use racism against racism and use cynicism and vitriol to fight faith or spirituality.

I see a false fight against a caricature of anyone who disagrees or has lived through a different experience. Against people who don't automatically assume that black = victim or that woman = good and man = bad. Distortion of historical events in order to make the West seem satanic is very popular too. Even heterosexuality is used for target practice. The very act of breeding and continuing the species... I mean for f***'s sake...

I felt like the only person I knew who wasn't in the least surprised that Trump got elected. And he could easily win another term. Not because he should, but because of backlash against people taking things too far.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know

obliguhl
#26 Posted : 8/5/2018 7:16:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Same happened to me too, Orion.
I would have described myself as radical left wing.
What changed me, was my work in a university left wing action group.
I thought we shared a common goal of bettering culture towards a less violent, more partnership society.

Instead, i found myself in discussions about it being problematic for white people to have dreadlocks.

The people engaged in this group were either complete megalomaniacs or total sheep unable to articulate independent thought. As long as you were on their side, you'd be included and they'd make you feel welcome though....

There was a lot of black and white thinking and the overall sense that people were totally alone and wanted to finally feel accepted by a group....be finally RIGHT about something.

When someone else i knew complained about the leftist groups i felt threatened and even thought that person to be "on the right". Now i know how stupid that assumption was.

What pains me the most, is people who call themselves liberals

Quote:
use sexism to fight sexism, use racism against racism and use cynicism and vitriol to fight faith or spirituality.

While people who stand for free speech or even neutrally present different opinions are getting called nazis - and everyone just stands there and says nothing. Either silently agreeing or to scared to speak up.

Thats nothing but social darwinism in action.

On the other hand, i've also grown fond of the idea of self reliance and responsibility because i do believe that the capability of exercising your own agency to the fullest is a prerequisite to actually being a partner to someone.

"That's the thing Morgan - here is not here..."

dragonrider
#27 Posted : 8/5/2018 7:50:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know exactly what you mean, obliguhl and orion. But somehow i just can't believe that these people realy represent "the left". I think they're only just a very vocal minority.

When you look at the world around you, it's more than obvious that many liberal ideas that where once considered radical, have become widely accepted now.

The equality of men and woman, gay-marriage, legal (or semi legal) cannabis, the right to end your own life or to have a doctor or loved one ending it if you're not capable to do it yourself, the idea that a black person or an asian could be a president, mayor, prime minister, member of parliament or chairman or woman of parliament....though there are still people fighting those ideas, i would say that they have become completely mainstream in many western countries by now.

That would never have happened without the left. The right has always fanatically resisted each of these things, only to give in when they had already lost the battle.

So there must be quite a few people who don't want to have anything to do with identity politics and political correctness, but who are, deep in their hearts, liberals after all.
Otherwise the right would have won, and none of these things would have happened.

Woman would still be slaves without any rights. People have forgotten how strong the opposition to only just the equality of men and women was. Women have gone to jail for it.

obliguhl
#28 Posted : 8/5/2018 8:05:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
So there must be quite a few people who don't want to have anything to do with identity politics and political correctness, but who are, deep in their hearts, liberals after all.
Otherwise the right would have won, and none of these things would have happened.

Ok, but what we are talking about is, at this extreme level, a recent development. The right for women to vote - not really. Maybe i have misunderstood you...
"That's the thing Morgan - here is not here..."

dragonrider
#29 Posted : 8/6/2018 12:16:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes you're right.

the_Architect
#30 Posted : 8/6/2018 8:34:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Northerner wrote:

And the reason I know this... is because I cut the end off the broadcast cable that plugs into the television many years ago.

Thank you for your rant, it nurtures my soul...

I would show your kids these video: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-americas-largest-local-tv-owner-turned-its-news-anc-1824233490

The audio "echo" effect is quite accomplished.

Goodluck with keeping them off grid during their teenage years!

PREV12