We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Will this glove box work? Options

Tara123
#1 Posted : 7/31/2018 8:47:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really want to get some spore prints from my next batch of mushrooms. Either that or to undertake some cloning. So that I can be independent in my little mushroom blessed life Love

I understand that I am going to need a glove box. I have put something together and attached a picture here. As you can see its basically a plastic box with two arm holes cut out.

I was really quite proud of this Laughing Laughing Laughing

Do you think this will work? Or do I need to go to the effort of attaching rubber gloves and things.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you xx
Tara123 attached the following image(s):
Glove box.jpg (2,108kb) downloaded 106 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

sauSage
#2 Posted : 7/31/2018 9:38:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tara123 wrote:

Do you think this will work? Or do I need to go to the effort of attaching rubber gloves and things.

If you hit the inside with lysol before use, and you get some tyvec arm sleeves for the port holes you should be fine. However that box is kind of small so you might find it limiting and difficult to work in. Give it a try but I'd suggest a larger box.

ps
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Northerner
#3 Posted : 8/1/2018 4:31:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lysol on the inside of the box is unnecessary. If you just wipe it down with a little highly diluted bleach inside and let sit for 10 minutes, it's more than enough. As the surface is wet spores will stick, the little bleach will finish them off.

Tyvec arm sleeves make vacuum pumps in the box, force air and out of it. The whole idea of a still air box is that the air is still. Just washing down your arms with soap immediately before use and working with freshly wiped gloves (ethanol 70%) is ideal.

I agree that the box is too small though. You're going to find that you don't have enough height to tip things into other things... moochas frustration ahead.

Great job on your holes though, that's a tricky job. Thumbs up
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Tara123
#4 Posted : 8/1/2018 8:06:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great - thanks for the advice.

I'll find a taller box.

Haha and yes, I was most impressed with the arm holes too Big grin

sauSage
#5 Posted : 8/2/2018 2:20:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Northerner wrote:

Great job on your holes though, that's a tricky job. Thumbs up

agreed, those are some *awesome* arm holes... what'd you use to cut them?
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Tara123
#6 Posted : 8/2/2018 2:26:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I put and empty can of beans on the stove, with the open end of the can face down on the stove, until it was hot enough, then I picked it up using an oven glove and pushed it through the plastic.

Big grin

blue.magic
#7 Posted : 8/3/2018 3:53:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes sir Wink

I would use much taller box if you intend to work with quart jars, even pint jars as you need extra space for the scalpel handle, syringes etc.

You can get away with open holes, just make sure to sanitize the area and the box with bleach solution, wait 20 minutes or so before work (for the dust particles to settle) and make sure there is as little air movement as possible when working.

In "The Psilocybin Mushroom Bible" they give a full tutorial on how to attach gloves.

I made my glove attachments with PVC reduction adapter, adhesive cement, pair of gloves (slightly larger than you would wear - mine size is No. 7 so I used No. 8 ) and hose clamps to fix the gloves in place.

Northerner
#8 Posted : 8/3/2018 4:01:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Glove and arm attachments make vacuum pumps and push and pull air out of the box during use, making it no longer a still air box. Self defeating.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.