We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Psilocybin dose-dependently causes delayed, transient headaches in healthy volunteers Options

arcologist
#21 Posted : 7/6/2014 8:59:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll add my recent data points:

7g cubensis - very mild but noticeable headache that started 5 or 6 hours after returning to baseline, lasted for a few hours.

10g cubensis - much worse than the previous trip, pounding throbbing headache at around the same time afterwards that would mostly go away if I tried to not move my head or exert myself. It was significantly reduced in severity by taking acetaminophen.

It seems like there is some sort of residual headache that can occur when the brain is stimulated by psilocin for long periods of time. I also paid special attention to keeping hydrated, so it wasn't that. Interestingly, I have had very similar headaches that occurred while on pharmahuasca, with doses of 150mg and 200mg DMT fumarate, so it is likely the same is true of DMT in high doses over long periods of time. I had assumed that it was the harmalas that gave me the headache, but now I am thinking it is the tryptamines that can cause headaches, at least with certain individuals.

I never get headaches after smoking DMT though...

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

#22 Posted : 7/16/2014 6:47:26 PM

Psilosopher

Hmm, this is interesting.
I have heard of these headaches before, but personally have never suffered from any.
I usually take mushrooms around midnight and come down in the morning, so I am a bit worn out most of the time from the lack of sleep, but I don't really have any headaches.
But like I said, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this online, and the one time my uncle tried sclerotia after years without psychedelics he said he had a terrible headache the next day. Guess I'm just lucky Smile
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

Cognitive Heart
#23 Posted : 7/16/2014 7:04:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilocybin is used for treating and healing cluster headaches with dose dependent value settings. As with most psychedelics, it's essentially the same idea. This could explain why higher doses lead to the actual pain itself due to overactive stimulation of serotonin receptors or other receptors. MAPS is currently enrolled in these kind of studies with some confirmation here and there, but nothing official.

Quote:
I'll add my recent data points:7g cubensis - very mild but noticeable headache that started 5 or 6 hours after returning to baseline, lasted for a few hours.
10g cubensis - much worse than the previous trip, pounding throbbing headache at around the same time afterwards that would mostly go away if I tried to not move my head or exert myself. It was significantly reduced in severity by taking acetaminophen.
It seems like there is some sort of residual headache that can occur when the brain is stimulated by psilocin for long periods of time. I also paid special attention to keeping hydrated, so it wasn't that. Interestingly, I have had very similar headaches that occurred while on pharmahuasca, with doses of 150mg and 200mg DMT fumarate, so it is likely the same is true of DMT in high doses over long periods of time. I had assumed that it was the harmalas that gave me the headache, but now I am thinking it is the tryptamines that can cause headaches, at least with certain individuals.
I never get headaches after smoking DMT though...

This is very interesting data. I think 10 grams is a given, though. Hydration can definitely play a role in countering or partially countering any negative effects. And I would caution those in taking pharmaceutical pain relievers in combination with psilocybin, as both induce effects and changes in the liver and their metabolites/enzymes thereof. I think that individuals with higher levels of serotonin are more at risk, too, due to over-stimulation.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

infinitynlove
#24 Posted : 10/15/2014 1:27:51 AM

Mushroom Explorer

This is very interesting, I have never had a headache from mushrooms ... but my gf gets them all the time when she trips....

Thanks for info!

Peace
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

obliguhl
#25 Posted : 11/2/2014 6:42:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After this one, i took some 5htp before bed (100mg). It helped with the headaches, which were greatly diminished. Hangover remained the same (tiredness, dizzyness, slight nausea).

I think there is something to it. Perhaps i'll take 200mg the next time.

Felnik
#26 Posted : 11/3/2014 1:10:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is interesting , I've been getting really bad headaches after
My last 2 mushroom trips . The trips were a week apart first headache
was bad it lasted all night into the next day. I really suspected a food interaction
Causing a problem . I'm trying some different things to see if I can mitigate this.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Sky Motion
#27 Posted : 6/18/2015 4:39:47 AM

<3

I'd just like to add that I posted a thread about these same types of headaches..(seeking a way to minimize them as they really distract from the experience).

For me is feels like the ache comes within my brain and can also be felt within my arms and other random places of the body. Like a deep ache from the trip being so intense. I start to get them when I am coming up hard, feel them during the peak but I am preoccupied with other thoughts..then when I am coming down they really set in the most. They disappear about an hour or two after hitting baseline.

If I could minimize these feelings I would be much more eager to pursue psychedelics, but in general they are very physically uncomfortable for me even if I am having a great experience.

I get the same types of headaches and body aches with LSD, but do not experience them on DMT or ayahuasca.

Is it ill advised to take Tylonol or Advil on the comeup? It has been something I have considered for a long time since experimenting with these substances.

Swarupa
#28 Posted : 8/2/2015 10:21:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Global wrote:
That's interesting snozz. I have some friends who after they smoke DMT will report headaches as well. I've experienced them on occasion, but not anything significant. With DMT, sometimes just taking in a hot vapor is enough to set it off though.

One of my friends gets quite bad headaches from vaping DMT, and also gets mild headaches from mushrooms. I've found that meditation helps with headaches but i've never had a really bad headache that lasted more than a few seconds.

I do find i can get a slight pressure in my head towards the end of mushrooms and that drinking cold water allieviates it for a while. I've also noticed the pressure can happen when lying down trying to sleep when it's just too early for that.

I think that breathing patterns could also play a role in this. When i trip my breathing usually slows right down then when coming back my body starts to need more air again, i've noticed that taking a few deep breaths can help with this. I've also found that eating can help, when i start eating a reintegration meal i automatically start taking in deep breaths, it's like being drawn back into physicality and needing all that comes with it, food, hydration, oxygen.

obliguhl
#29 Posted : 8/2/2015 11:53:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think you'd have to be a buddhist monk to take your attention away from a bad case of DMT headaches. Razz It truly is a horrible experience and one of the reasons i don't vape DMT anymore or take psychedelics often for that matter.

But then, i've tried the 5-htp + melatonin trick the other day. 200mg 5-htp + 200 microgram melatonin. Felt groggy the next day but almost no sideeffects. But they seem to creep back once you stop the treatment so the next thing i wanna try is to take the pills for several days after a trip.

It would be truly wonderful if there was a surefire way to treat this migraine.

Swarupa
#30 Posted : 8/2/2015 3:05:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It would be great if there was more research & education about this kind of thing so we could prepare accordingly, when looking into mushrooms i don't recall once seeing any mention of headaches being a potential issue, it was a good idea to sticky this thread.

Make Shift
#31 Posted : 4/4/2016 5:37:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I had 2 grams of dried mexican cubensis , had a great trip.
The next day morning i woke up with the worst pounding head ache ever....had to stay in bed the whole day...headache stayed for a good 24 hours. I didn't take any medicines though.
It's been the worst headache i have ever encountered.
After that i have never touched mushrooms, always stick to LSD.
In the lingering moments before you die your body releases DMT‬. The same drug that makes you dream. The same drug found in every living animal. It's not an evolutionary trick to make you survive. Your body is choosing to release this drug now because it believes your fate is too grim for you to comprehend. So you dream. You dream that everything will be fine. You dream that nothing happened at all. It's in this moment that your body sits across from you. It tells you 'looks like we're not gonna make it this time.' You sit around a fire and recollect the past before soon parting ways back to the atomic ether. Your body does this because it loves you. You have never met anyone like your body. Your body has been with you everyday, good and bad. It's even kept a journal of your life carved in scars. Your eyelashes always wiped the tears from your eyes.

WisdomTooth
#32 Posted : 4/27/2017 7:48:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe because your minds more open and connected and your senses were significantly enhanced you are now aware that of things that you did not notice before?

Just a thought, i remember someone saying mushrooms or lsd helped them become aware of headaches then lead them to a healthier diet and fixed the problem.
Though the river tells no lies, the dishonest standing on the shore, still hear them.

Ulim
#33 Posted : 9/3/2017 12:51:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I got the same headache from 4-Aco-DMT for people that are wondering that. Wink

dragonrider
#34 Posted : 7/29/2018 10:13:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's not just dehydration that could cause headache. Drinking too much water (because you're afraid of dehydration) can also cause headaches.

I often get headaches if i get too little sleep. And stress can also cause severe headaches. I'm thinking with pdychedelics it could either be a physical or mental thing.

It would be worthwile to see if taking a sleepingpill to quickly fall asleep after, or relaxation exercises before and during, would have an effect.

DeDao
#35 Posted : 10/28/2019 1:29:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i've gotten this. thank you snozz.
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

DeDao
#36 Posted : 1/3/2020 2:28:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So after some change of lifestyle and reduction of certain bad habits I tripped again on psilocybin. This time I didn't get the headache..

I think its something we can work around. Like eating well, exercise, sleep, general health may help with NOT getting a headache during/after the come down.

My 2cents. More research is needed(personally and globally)
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

PREV12